Bangkok Hotel - help me decide!

MLinFL

OK - I know there are so many hotels to choose from in Bangkok, but I think I have it down to 2 but I can't decide which one. I am debating between the Sheraton Royal Orchid and the Peninsula. :confused: I know that the Peninsula is more luxurious than the Sheraton, but is it really worth $60-$100 more per night? (We are going to be staying for 4 nights.)

Any one who has stayed at either of these hotels care to comment?

Thanks!

Mary Lou

We are staying at the Peninsula post cruise for 4 nights. We booked directly with the hotel for their "Value" package. We may end up staying only 3 nights as our flight home departs for Tokyo at 6am and we have to check in 2 hours prior. I checked the price on "asiarooms.com" and their price was a little less but did not include breakfast. I think we may end up going to something like the Novotel for the last night as it is almost right at the new airport. Maybe the Royal Orchid is a little less, I didn't check, but I was in the travel business for 16 years and I've always wanted to stay at a Peninsula Hotel. Besides, on their web site...who could resist the pool area shown???

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy -

Moving to a hotel closer to the airport for the last night sounds like a good idea. We, too, will be leaving very early for our flight home. That may be a good compromise if the airport hotel is less.

You mentioned the "new" airport -- is there more than one, or did the "new" one replace the old one? What is the airport "code" - do you know? (Just want to make sure we are flying out of the right one!) This is our first Asian trip, so there is a lot to learn.

Perhaps we can get together after both of our trips and compare notes and photos. We will be back in The Villages in early November. My e-mail is: marylouinohio@hmcltd.net

Thanks for all the advice!

Mary Lou

Hi Marylou. I will e-mail you soon. I would love to get together and compare vacation "stuff".

I don't know if the new airport replaced the old one or not but when I was looking at United's flight schedules, I just used BKK and it came up. Also, I think you can just google Bangkok Airport and the info is there.

Nancy

We spent several nights at the Peninsula two yers ago. It was beyond expectation wonderful! The service is fabulous throughout the hotel, and our included breakfast was very good. The restaurant has some good food for dinner too. The hotel has some free shuttle boats to take you back and forth across the river which was very convenient. On the opposite shore, there are some shops within a several block radius, plus you can hook up with a ferry system to go other places on the river. If I were going back to Bangkok, I'd definitely stay at the Peninsula again.

Thanks - the Peninsula it is! I did as Nancy suggested and booked 3 nights at the Peninsula and then we will move over to the airport hotel for our last night, since we have to take an early flight home.

I am really looking forward to experiencing this wonderful hotel!

Mary Lou

The new airport is BKK; the old one is DMK. The government forced ALL flights to the new airport but it has been such a disaster that they are moviong some flights back to old one. I doubt if any of the long-haul flights have been moved, though. The new airport is great except that there are very few seats, very few toilets, very few places to eat, the runways are cracking already and there is no transportation to or from there. Outside of that, it is perfect. :)

The Sheraton is a hotel. The Peninsula is an experience. If your budget can stand it, stay at The Peninsula.

Paul

Peninsular is a great hotel very new compared to the Sheraton. I just returned from Bangkok, I actually stayed at the Labua Hotel at State Tower, better in my opinion than the Peninsular all said and done at half the price of either of your options you mentioned although I do love my Peninsular Hotels, particularly in Hong Kong and Beijing.

The Peninsular is on the far bank of the river, Getting around can be a pain so bare that in mind. The Sheraton will also have you dependent on Taxi's as well although River City Mall is next door with Asian Antique stores to die for if thats your thing. Bangkok traffic is terrible yes weve all heard stories about it im just telling you to expect the worst especially during rush hour. ( Take the skytrain if at all possible - its safe, cheap, clean and its impossible to get lost )

If you need to buy a Cast Iron Elephant for the Garden just go down the road from the River City Mall and there are tons of stores selling all sorts of cast iron garden furniture, You will need a container to get it home!!!!

Also in the neighbourhood on the Peninsular is the Millenium Hilton, The Oriental ( opposite bank ) these two are both quite respectable picks.

Enjoy Bangkok its a great place!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived