What is the Definitive Solution to Maui Overnight Parking??

redcc55

We're leaving 8/25 on PoAm and on Maui we have a two day rental. What should we do with the car overnight (I actually tried recently to get a separate rental for the 2nd Maui day, but prices are 50% higher now).

I've read dozens of opinions on this. What is the best thing to do?

Unfortunately, there is no definitive solution at this time. You can get back to the port early in hopes of making sure you snag a spot close by; you can make arrangements with some of the rental car companies to park the car overnight at their airport (or close to airport) location (depending on when you get there, you may have to take a taxi back to the pier); you can look into parking at one of the stores or the Maui Mall close by (but I've heard most places aren't allowing it). One thing you DO NOT want to do is park illegally and figure you'll pay the parking ticket. For one thing, that ticket is going to run you about $70; for another, they tow cars parked illegally, so you get the added joy of going to get the car and pay the towing and storage fees. Not pretty.

Sorry I don't have better news, but perhaps someone who's been very recently will have some new ideas. It would be nice if they could add more parking at the port, but I don't know when or if that will/can happen. Space is at somewhat of a premium there.

beachchick

This is the biggest headache with Maui overnight.

It's a shame that the mall doesn't charge like in Kauai and we would all feel safer. They could make a little bit of cash at $10 per car. I'm surprised no one thought of it yet. Someone (a local) maybe should give them a hit.

How much is a cab from the airport back to the peir if we have to take that route?

We couldn't get a spot last week. This was at 9:30 that night. We ended up parking up the road on a side street. I was NOT happy with this option and was just glad that I forked over the extra $20 for bumper to bumper insurance. I saw about 20 cars parked right in front of a warehouse building just outside the pier's parking lot. Lots of signs were posted threatening to have cars towed that were parked there. When we collected our car the next morning, there were probably an additional 10 cars that had taken the risk. I didn't see any tow trucks that mornig nor tickets on any of the cars. I still wouldn't risk it though...

We just got home from Hawaii. The parking in Maui wasn't as bad as I have read. Perhaps not as many people rented cars in Maui. Anyhow, our shuttle driver showed us places to park. We got back to the pier at around 10:00 p.m. and had no problem finding a place to park. I will be writing a review on parking on the islands. I learned a lot while there.

Gary

We just got home from Hawaii. The parking in Maui wasn't as bad as I have read. Perhaps not as many people rented cars in Maui. Anyhow, our shuttle driver showed us places to park. We got back to the pier at around 10:00 p.m. and had no problem finding a place to park. I will be writing a review on parking on the islands. I learned a lot while there.

Gary

Thanks so ask the shuttle driver! Did you use Thrifty?

We used Thrifty while in Maui. I changed car rental places on different islands. I talked to the shuttle driver about my parking concerns and he showed us where we allowed to (and not to) park. We were overnight in Maui on a Friday night. I think there would have been more of a problem if we were there during a week night.

Gary

When we rented from Budget in Maui (Kahului) from POH, we took the car back to Budget and parked it for $10, and rode the shuttle back to the ship, then picked it up again in the morning. The car lot across from the ship is exactly that - a car lot - by the time we got back from our excursion on the first day, it was full of brand new cars that were being shipped in. There was very little extra parking around the pier. We were glad we set up the parking with Budget - no worries or concerns about anything.

PS - our Maui day was also Wednesday.

Archived