Liberty of the Seas-W. Caribbean- Excursions or stay onboard??

Hi all,

We (DH and I) have only been on one cruise before and are about to head off on our 2nd. Our goal is rest and relaxation and being together!

On our first cruise there were 6 of us and we went on 1-2 excursions at every port from ziplines to beaches to stingrays to swimming with dolphins. We liked it but also felt that we constantly running. So we had considered the idea of staying onboard at some of the ports (we have Labadee, MoBay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel-the last 2 are repeats of the first cruise) But then we worry we will feel like we missed out.

While I know this comes down to a personal preference issue I am curious what others do and how you make the choice and how you feel after...

Thanks! :D

We were on FOS in April and only got off the ship in Labadee. We love the fact that everybody gets off the ship and we can come and go from poolside chairs and even catch the evevator whenever we feel like it. Take a good book and relax. We are booked for the same Western on LOS for April 08 and probably won't make it off the ship much on that trip either.

We were on FOS in April and only got off the ship in Labadee. We love the fact that everybody gets off the ship and we can come and go from poolside chairs and even catch the evevator whenever we feel like it. Take a good book and relax. We are booked for the same Western on LOS for April 08 and probably won't make it off the ship much on that trip either.

Hi, we've been to two places where you can truly chill and still enjoy the port.

On Labadee go to the last beach to your left. There will be very few people. Lunch is served close by but can't comment on it as we missed out. (stopped serving around 1:30)

Also, try Passion Island on Cozumel. Again not a lot of people, beautiful beach with lunch and drinks included.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

We (DH and I) have only been on one cruise before and are about to head off on our 2nd. Our goal is rest and relaxation and being together!

On our first cruise there were 6 of us and we went on 1-2 excursions at every port from ziplines to beaches to stingrays to swimming with dolphins. We liked it but also felt that we constantly running. So we had considered the idea of staying onboard at some of the ports (we have Labadee, MoBay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel-the last 2 are repeats of the first cruise) But then we worry we will feel like we missed out.

While I know this comes down to a personal preference issue I am curious what others do and how you make the choice and how you feel after...

Thanks! :D

We were on the Liberty Western Caribbean in July and like you, we had been to all of the ports on previous cruises. I like to relax when on vacation so I take it easy. With that in mind, if I find an excursion I like and it doesn't take all day (so I have time to walk around the area or shop) then I'll do it.

Hope that helps.

On our first cruise we did 1-2 tours on each island, we were worn out! By the time we got home we needed a vacation from our vacation:eek:

We now have done the east/west runs many times and pick and choose carefully if we want to do a tour or just get off for a walk and a little shopping.

We're doing the west. carib. in October and so far we will get off in Labadee (would never miss this stop) stingray swim in GC, stay onboard in Jamicia and a short shopping stop in Cozumel. we plan to make the ship (Liberty) our main destination and actually relax a bit this trip..

Bev

We found the private islands to be the most relaxing port of all our cruises so we would definitely get off in Labadee.

We've stayed on the ship in the past if we had visited it before, plus our last cruise had 5 port stops and only one sea day so we didn't feel the need to get off in every port.

For Liberty I will get off in Labadee, Grand Cayman (Sting Rays) and probably Cozumel.

We just got back from that itinerary on Princess. Go to Playa Uvas in Cozumel if you're looking for a relaxing beach experience. Great food and drinks and get a massage from Luz while you're there!

I can't see the point of choosing such a port-intensive cruise if you are not going to get off the ship, unless you have done that itinerary before - and I can't see the point of choosing the same itinerary if you don't want to get off again (why not choose a cruise with few stops or a shorter one with none?)

we just returned from Liberty at the weekend and got off at all ports, but due to the amount of time we were there felt there was more to return for.

Labadee: Wonderful, but so hot we only stayed a few hours so didn't see it all

Jamaica: Took an axcursion to to Negril beach after the alarming reports of violence there, but although it was nice I felt we should have gone into Montego Bay, so would do that next time

Grand Cayman: did the stingrays, turtle farm, but the stop at Hell was all of 5-minutes long, so didn't get to see the place properly, or shop - Grand Cayman is lovely and would definitely go back there to visit on our own

Cozumel - a really pleasant surprise, again boiling hot, so didn't stop too long due to young son, but enjoyed our time there and would go back at the drop of a (Mexican) hat!

Overall, we felt there was enough to do on each island to merit a return visit, we asked our cabin steward about Western v Eastern and he said Western was by far the most interesting for tourists.

We only cruise occasionally, but I suppose if you do loads of cruises that you might not want to leave the ship much, especially as with a ship like Liberty there is so much going on onboard. It's a personal choice - we cruise to arrive, others cruise to cruise, something I have no liking for (we crossed the Atlantic on the QM2 and were bored stiff for 5 days).

If cruising is all you want then don't go to Europe, because those itineraries are very expensive and very port-intensive - and you really do need a holiday after one of those (but such fantastic memories). :)

We pick our days and activities to get off or stay on and mix & match. Sometimes we get off, sometimes we do not. Both wife & I hate tendering, so Cayman is not a stop we tend to get off, but will do Labadee, because even on Liberty was easy to get a good beach spot if willing to get going in the morning (do not have to be first, but do not lie around). MoBay our table mates decided to just hop the shuttle and had a good time and Cozumel easy to get off and get a cab if you want. It is your vacation, do what you want. If you want to try some of the ship activities (rock wall, flowrider) with out the crowds that can form, port days are good.

We've done the Western before - precisely why we're doing it again!!!!

We will be doing the Zipline in Labadee, but no other organized excursions - the cost-value isn't worth it to us.

In Grand Cayman, we'll be taking a taxi to Hell and the Rum Store and in Cozumel, we're going to a restaurant recommended by a friend.

But Jamaica. Eh. It doesn't seem safe enough to go off exploring on our own, so we'll just stay on the ship.

Hope this helps in your planning!

I've done Western before with all the stops of my upcoming Liberty Cruise except Labadee - so I am definitely planning on getting off there. My husband and kids will be doing the Western for the first time so I know I want to take them to the stingrays in Cayman and I enjoyed Cozumel when I was there. I don't really have need to do Montego Bay again and figure if we do skip a port it will be that one as we want to see what a less crowded boat is like too!

As for picking a ship without as many ports - i'd be fine with that but I also like the option of staying on or getting off which a cruise with stops gives you :)

Archived