Why you don't post more?

MSammy

Very interesting responses! I totally understand the spell check thing. I have Safari but can't find the spell check. I also feel I've been responded to rudely--I wonder if I really have or it is just the nature of email/internet--people reply not meaning to be rude but the medium (internet) has them come off this way. Such thoughful responses here, I would hate not to hear from most of you again...or only rarely. Let's keep talking...

Very interesting responses! I totally understand the spell check thing. I have Safari but can't find the spell check. I also feel I've been responded to rudely--I wonder if I really have or it is just the nature of email/internet--people reply not meaning to be rude but the medium (internet) has them come off this way. Such thoughful responses here, I would hate not to hear from most of you again...or only rarely. Let's keep talking...

MSammy, you can turn on your spell check in Safari by going to Edit in the Menu bar and selecting "Spelling". In the "spelling" pull-down you should select: "Check Spelling as You Type." If you want to run a full spell check of a text before you post it (just to make sure) you go to "Spelling" and select "Check Spelling."

With "Check Spelling as You Type" turned on the browser will automatically identify misspelled words (it underlines them in red). You then click on the questioned word using control+click and then select "look up in dictionary." It will also often supply alternative spellings if you've gotten close to the correct spelling.

You piqued my curiosity, and I went and found your Dec thread about EG and the meddling TA. Now I am curious about the cruise you have coming up in November. Is this you and Mom again, and has it been kept hidden from EG? What happened with complaints to either of the TAs, or the ASTA?(

Hi jtl513! Are we allowed to say EG? LOL. Actually, this upcoming cruise is me and my husband! He's going on his first cruise so this'll be a whole different kind of cruise. Mom is more social and involved in every ship activity and collecting dam dollars and DH is more laid-back-in-a-deck-chair type. He gets seasick easily so it's taken quite a while to convince him to go. I'm especially looking forward to HMC with him. I think we're going to rent bikes and go on a nature walk.

Mom called her TA when we got back and told her how displeased she was. I never officially complained about it since mom still likes her TA and I would have been not as nice about it since I never had any dealings with her. The implication was that EG was rude and demanding to the TA, so she just made the change to shut her up. The TA apologized and my mom was okay with that, so I just dropped it.

All's well, though. Mom and I are going to Vegas, Grand Canyon and Death valley next month and I am looking forward to that every bit as much as a cruise! I know she and I will have a great time together! Oh, and she hasn't said a word to EG about it! ;)

Thanks for asking, jtl513. I like that we both have towel animals for our avatars! :)

For a couple of years I used to post on the Cunard board under a different name, and a few times here on HAL. Not much but some. Then I fell out of posting and after changing e-mails I lost my old screen name and pass code. So I'm on new again.

Now that I'm getting ready to cruise on HAL again I've decided to join the fun and start posting!

I think I can add another reason why I quit the board for a while and have only just now re-joined.

Posts that vanish for no reasonable reason.

Let's see how long this one lasts.

David -

You must learn to post in a way that does not cause ire or raise hackles... and it takes a bit of time here - watch, observe - and though I've been known to piss off many, (regretted/loved it....) it's simply not worth it in the end.:)

Good Luck, my friend. ;)

David -

You must learn to post in a way that does not cause ire or raise hackles... and it takes a bit of time here - watch, observe - and though I've been known to piss off many, (regretted/loved it....) it's simply not worth it in the end.:)

Good Luck, my friend. ;)

You did what?;)

Dave, what did I miss?

Laura, Dave has been reading here for years. He used to post, about 2 years ago, but quit the board and cancelled his CC-account out of frustration on how he was treated. He's been a lurker ever since, something I found out on the Ryndam last March when I met him and his sister and his sister's kids. His remarks indicated that he knew what was going on on the board.

In response to your statement, what ire did he cause or who's hackles did he raise? My ire is frequently "caused," and my hackles are often "raised," but I don't go whining to board Monitors.

Laura, Dave has been reading here for years. He used to post, about 2 years ago, but quit the board and cancelled his CC-account out of frustration on how he was treated. He's been a lurker ever since, something I found out on the Ryndam last March when I met him and his sister and his sister's kids. His remarks indicated that he knew what was going on on the board.

In some ways, I really can't blame him.

Welcome back, Dave .....

After 5-6 years, the questions have nearly all been asked before, numerous times.

Sometimes it's nice to sit back and let other folks share their knowledge too.

I agree...sometimes I read the thread and think about how I will answer but someone has already written it just as I would have.

Also when I found CC I soaked it up and spent hours reading through the threads past and present and felt ready to start posting. One of my first posts a certin person let me have it because I had made a complaint about a issue onboard that I had experienced. Even to this day when I see their name come up I won't join in too often. This person seems to post a lot of grouchy posts.

Overall I enjoy CC, log on almost every day and love to just sit, read and unwind after a stressful day at work.

Missygirl

MSammy and Miss_Windy_City, I'm with both of you. First, I'm sarcastic by nature. Second, I take things too personally and don't like getting flamed. So my (few) posts come off as apparently rude to some people and I don't like to deal with the hostile responses. It's a shame. I might have good info to share (if you can get past the wisecracks :D).

One of my first posts a certin person let me have it because I had made a complaint about a issue onboard that I had experienced. Even to this day when I see their name come up I won't join in too often. This person seems to post a lot of grouchy posts.
On one of my first posts, after I had been a member just a couple of weeks, I was jumped on by one of the long-time regulars. Since then I've noticed he often gives snide or harsh replies to new posters, but not to any old-timers.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive to post more. This morning I saw a thread I wanted to contribute to - but then noticed a remark that I found offensive. For me, it's easier to ignore the whole thread than to try to craft an appropriate response. I don't like confrontation, so usually take the easy way out:

Often by switching to the HAL website and looking for more cruises. :D

On one of my first posts, after I had been a member just a couple of weeks, I was jumped on by one of the long-time regulars. Since then I've noticed he often gives snide or harsh replies to new posters, but not to any old-timers.

John, you know, this has always amazed me. We have several friends and relatives who have been crusing for 20-30 years. They had never heard of CC until I mentioned it and have absolutely no interest in this site whatsoever. They book a cruise, travel the world, have a fabulous time and never in a million years would think to delve into the topics posted here.

I've read that CC represents approximately 1% of cruisers, so.....

Why do so many CCers assume that a first time poster has never been on a cruise?

Sorry for the OT.

Part of it, I suspect, is the mean-spirited disrespect regularly shown to folks who voice a perspective that is contrary to dominant clique in residence. Comparatively few people figure it is worth the bother to say something online faced with that kind of lack of consideration of others. :(

Archived