WindSurf Oct 7. Anybody staying in Venice before departure?

Content@Sea

Hi, we are four gal-pals renting an apartment in Venice, Dorsoduro area for a week before the Windsurf departs on Oct 7 for Rome.

Would love to meet with fellow cruisers ahead of time.

Drinks in a taverna anyone?

Cheers

Cruising Spice Girls

Windstar Nov 25: Barbados-Panama Canal-Costa Rica

We'll be in Trieste before deaprture.

Will you be in town the night before boarding?

We would love to host a private PRE-boarding party at our rental apartment overlooking the lagoon on Saturday night Oct 5 for fellow sailors on Windsurf Venice-Rome departing Sunday October 6.

This will be so much fun to meet our new pals.

RSVP required.

Spice Girls just wanna have fun!

Hi LNWILD,

I don't know the Kette, but you're already in the middle of the most important stuff in San Marco. It's quite expensve to eat in the square (and never sit down at a table on the square) so head toward the many restaurants in the Rialto Bridge area.

Here are some links that I found useful:

For food: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=79228

For general advice : http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/venice/dm_saving_money.htm

You might want to try an orientation tour from Walk in Venice:

http://www.walksinsidevenice.com/english/home.html

Have fun and keep in contact so we can meet up for a drink in Venice before boarding.

When do you arrive in Venice?

Best regards

Spice Girls!

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first reply to this site. We are two gals and one guy, me. We were originally scheduled for the previous week but were bumped because the Windsurf was booked for a whole ship cruise by a company party. We are staying in Venice three days before we embark. We will be going to the wine country of Umbria when we disembark. Maybe we can meet up for drinks and exploration. Mike

Would love to meet with fellow cruisers ahead of time.

Drinks in a taverna anyone?

Cheers

Cruising Spice Girls

Windstar Nov 25: Barbados-Panama Canal-Costa Rica

Hi Mike, good to hear from you. Where in Venice are you staying?

We discovered that the directions to our place are very complicated, so it's easier to meet in a public place.

There are several bars (outdoor/indoor) in Campo San Margherita in Dorsoduro.

Closer to the time, we'll post an exact location with directions. Will have to do some research (bar-hopping).

Cheers!

Cruising Spice Girls.

We (Darlene & Mike) will be staying in Venice October 4-7 before the cruise and would love to join the get together. We are staying near the Rialto bridge.

Look forward to hearing from the Spice Girls.:)

Wonderful... see you evening of Sat 6th. Venue details to come.

Spice Girls!

Greetings Spice Girls and Fellow Cruisers,

My mother and I will be taking this cruise as well, and plan to arrive in Venice 10/3 staying close to San Marco. Would love to join the pre-cruise meet & greet.

Best regards...looking forward to another fabulous cruise,

Karen

Windstar - Istanbul to Athens - September 2006

Windsurf - Venice to Rome - Coming Soon...October 7, 2007

Karen - welcome to you and your mom! So glad you contacted us.

I see you were on the Istanbul-Athens cruise; really want to hear all about that.

I'll keep you posted about our Saturday night meeting party -- this is going to be so much fun.

I'm already packing - trying to get everything for a week into one roll-aboard suitcase. Yeah, right.

See you soon. We're so excited. So ready for that amazing swelling Vangelis music as we depart port, sails slowly unfolding; the envy of all that gaze upon us. <grin>

Wow, get goosebumps just thinking about it!

On our way to Venice...

Cruising Spice Girls!

Hey there, Spice Girls,

You mentioned that you wanted to hear about Istanbul to Athens...I very highly recommend it. If you're not into ruins, the scenery is fabulous, especially Santorini, and if you like ruins, it's like being a little kid in a candy store.

Aaahhh...pulling out of port with the Vangelis music. I just love the thought and the memory.

Best Regards,

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Michaeltvs,

We just did Venice to Rome on Windsurf 2 weeks ago (Sept 2-9th) The ship is not really dressy so don't worry abou that. We had beautiful sunny (not hot) weather and very little rain (just one day in Venice and not all day) It was in the high 70s and low 80s a week ago so I assume it will get a little cooler before you go. Definitely take long pants and a light jacket or sweater...probably an umbrella, too. (if you take it you probably won't need it!) We also had days for shorts and T shirts too. Dinners were slacks and a sport shirt for my husband and a casual skirt, sundress or even capri pants and a nice top for me. A shawl came in handy in the evenings, too. If you are staying in Venice take comfortable shoes because you can do a lot of walking there. What a great city!

We had a REALLY fabulous time on this itinerary and I know you will, too. Enjoy!

Hello all. I have been to Venice three times in the past several years. We will be staying at the Hotel Ala (hotelala.it). This hotel is close to San Marco and has a nice bar/wine bar area. I would like to volunteer this as a location for our Saturday night send off party. Check out the web site. Also , Venice, there are a lot of things to do and see. Travel by water taxi and walk as much as you can. I collect masks. I have over 100 and many are from Venice. Venice has great architectural and shopping sites. Be vary selective on the ones you visit on the limited time you have. For architectural sites do your homework and see what interests you. As for as shopping, be selective and don't by the first item you see. Avoid the tourist areas and walk to the less traveled shops and look for the inhouse made or designed items. Take a boat to Isle of Murano for a tour of the famous glass works, there are many. Find restaurants of the beaten path. Avoid restaurants in San Marco square and next to the Rialto bridge. Explore in the daytime and lounge at night. Avoid long night walks. It is safe but you can get disoriented and run into dark and unlit areas. I will try to answer questions you may have at this posting. Hope to see everyone in Venice. Mike

Temps 60's-70's but humid. Check the weather channel on line---dubrovnik was in the 80's as was corfu--rome delightfully warm. pack layers. shorts are ok except if you are going to the Vatican--women need to cover arms and legs--worth it--we have a private tour scheduled 2 days after we arrive--we are at the Kette--San Marco sq. 3 older but very fun couples from Calif and New Jersey--

Quote By Michaeltvs

"We will be staying at the Hotel Ala (hotelala.it). This hotel is close to San Marco and has a nice bar/wine bar area. I would like to volunteer this as a location for our Saturday night send off party. Check out the web site."

Excellent idea - central location. The location map here is very clear. http://www.hotelala.it/images/mapbig.gif

Does 6:00pm (Cichetti time) seem like a good time to gather?

Michaeltvs - I assume you will let the Hotel Ala wine bar folk know that you'll be having a little gathering and want to reserve a corner/couple of tables. We'll ask for WINDSURF party on arrival.

Looking forward to meeting a few fellow cruisers!

Cruising Spice Girls.

Hello Winsurf cruisers. We have had a change in hotels. We are now staying at the Hotel Cavalleto e Doge Orseolo, not the Hotel Ala. This hotel is adjacent to San Marco Square. Better location, but smaller lounge and wine and cocktail prices may be a bit high. This is still a good central location but we are open for other suggestions for the Saturday night send off party. Let us know . Mike , Rita, and Nanc.

Hello Winsurf cruisers. We have had a change in hotels. We are now staying at the Hotel Cavalleto e Doge Orseolo, not the Hotel Ala. This hotel is adjacent to San Marco Square. Better location, but smaller lounge and wine and cocktail prices may be a bit high. This is still a good central location but we are open for other suggestions for the Saturday night send off party. Let us know . Mike , Rita, and Nanc.

Thanks Mike -

Let's keep the Saturday night party at the Hotel Ala, however.

Drink prices anywhere adjacent to S. Marco are typically eye-wateringly high. Last time in Venice I paid $15 for a half glass of mediocre merlot at the Best Western (where they load the gondalas). Paid $20 at a table in the square...

Hotel Ala's map shows it is easy to reach from almost anywhere.

http://www.hotelala.it/images/mapbig.gif

text instructions here:

http://www.hotelala.it/eng/location.php

See you all there! We'll be in Venice for the entire prior week to departure - so excited.

Btw: What is the best way to get to the WindSurf dock? Water taxi, water bus or walk?

Thanks

Cruising Spice Girls.

Archived