I'm so Conflicted......... Why Bother??

sail7seas

I just bought my daughter a chocolate brown satin formal in a 30s glamor retro style. She is turning 25 on our cruise and is thrilled with the dress. She and her friends (ages 19 to 26) traveling with us are all wearing formals the first formal night and very nice cocktail dresses the 2nd. They are all very excited. We are all for keeping elegance and tradition alive and passing it on to the next generation.

Viva la Formal!

Have a great cruise S7S.

As others have reminded me........ We are dressing for ourselves and should dress per our own desires (as long as they meet the miniumum requirement HAL has described).

Have a wonderful cruise and please come back and tell us about it.

Bon Voyage, Linda.

Fair winds and a following sea.........

The both of you have wonderful cruises.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Well said Rita.

This is the reality whether or not any of us (here) agree with it...

HAL ships are sailing at capacity more often times than not, so obviously they must be doing something right.

S7S, you can always be underdressed but never overdressed. Just think you and DH will be the ones to shine and stand out among the masses. Pretty nice place to be. I and DH fully intend to dress to the nines in October up to and including the tux (which is @ the dry cleaners as we speak). See...someone else take all that time to prepare, too! Hope you have a wonderful time on your upcoming cruise. I know we will. :)

I agree with you, Sail... the decorum and decor of the ship dictate that jeans are inappropriate (but I agree with the more rugged destinations, however, like Alaska--I did bring my jeans for some of the shore excursions).

I also agree that you would never wear casual clothes to the opera or to Christmas Eve services at church.

I live in a small village in a resort area where casual is the main dress.... even in the gourmet restaurants, people wear casual clothes. I LIKE dressing up a few times a year on board. And I think it does show respect to the ship and the crew to dress the part.

Diane

No offense, but I can't believe how much space on this Board is given to the question of dress. We have all lived long enough to see many changes in social behavior. Whether we like it or not that is the way the world turns. Sail, enjoy yourself to your heart's content and dress the way you want. On the other hand, if someone does not dress to the nines, that is their choice and their right. That does not mean they are not educated, intelligent, socially aware or unpleasant people. They can afford to take this cruise and as long as they are decently clothed and clean (taking it to it's furthest limit) what's the big deal? Half the world is at war. At least half the world is going hungry. Let's try to put things in perspective. We're taking a cruise - lighten up!

I totally agree!! Too much time spent on this issue when all of the above, and more, is happening in this world (lets not forget the homeless, those without medical care including, and especially, our Veterans....) If all we can do is worry about wasting our time packing because some stranger may not appreciate our efforts, something is wrong!! I DO understand where the original poster is coming from, but it truly is not worth the time. I happen to be a "nothing but jeans" person and I REFUSE to let anyone try to make me feel bad for it.....so dress to your hearts content.....its your vacation!

Shari

No offense, but I can't believe how much space on this Board is given to the question of dress. We have all lived long enough to see many changes in social behavior. Whether we like it or not that is the way the world turns. Sail, enjoy yourself to your heart's content and dress the way you want. On the other hand, if someone does not dress to the nines, that is their choice and their right. That does not mean they are not educated, intelligent, socially aware or unpleasant people. They can afford to take this cruise and as long as they are decently clothed and clean (taking it to it's furthest limit) what's the big deal? Half the world is at war. At least half the world is going hungry. Let's try to put things in perspective. We're taking a cruise - lighten up!

IMHO things are in perspective

the issue here is a dress code .. not world peace:eek:

either change the dress code or enforce it .. the concept is not tough

IMO jeans don't belong in a formal dining room .. they belong in Lido

HAL can't be all things to all people .. the sooner Seattle gets the point, the easier it will be for everyone .. to expect on-board crew to take it upon themselves to "hold the line" without backing from Elliot Avenue is not only impractical, it's also wrong

no one needs to lighten up .. what needs to be done is to set a standard and then live up to it .. if someone doesn't like that standard, lobby to change it or quite honestly go to another line that will match your taste

Sail has it right

I suppose this is slightly off-topic....but I think the stereotypes about the dress on different cruiselines is funny.

I took a 3 day cruise on the Monarch of the Seas once and I was not surprised it was the youngest group I ever saw on a cruise. Most were in their 20's.

But my own stereotypes were smashed when it came to Formal Night. It was very moving to see all these young people dressed to the nines.

I recall particularly a young woman who had a beautiful beaded gown (it didn't hurt that she had a models body....and the young fit those designer clothes very well:)) I just had to compliment her on her dress and she graciously accepted the compliment.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

We plan on having a great cruise.....as always!!

Hope all of us have great cruises whenever/wherever they may be.

While there are serious issues in the world, this, afterall, is a cruise message board to discuss all things cruise related.

As HAL would count it, I was on 6 cruises in the past 8 months, each over 2 weeks in length, I saw NO reason to pack anything different that I have for the past 25+ years for cruises. Most of the people dressed no differently than historically, except perhaps the formal dresses were less fancy. (Far fewer beaded and sequined outfits, in part because they weigh so much. I can pack 4 or 5 other outfits, including formals, for the weight of one beaded dress and there are the flight baggage weight restrictions.)

Now, Alaska cruises tend to be less dressey, but that was even true for my 1978 Alaska cruise with HAL. I have never been on a Caribbean cruise so don't know about them. Also, I have only been on one cruise of less than 14 days (Alaska) in decades, so I cannot comment on them.

On a cruise last fall there were a number of men sent back for a jacket on the first Informal night. I saw them from where I was sitting in the nearby Bar. Than apparently the word got out and all seemed to have jackets after that (or perhaps the Lido got more business).

I personally do not get excited about dressing up for formal nights. However, I go along with the game and do so, looking quite good if I do say myself. I have yet to see anything that would allow me to change what a wear. Believe me, I would be more than willing to dress down if appropriate, but I have seen nothing to suggest that was OK while onboard. Just my experiences.

Linda......DH and I will be wearing formal clothes. REAL formal clothes. Not just a jacket and tie that has become HAL's description of what constitutes formal for gentlemen.

What constitutes REAL formal clothes for women? I understand tuxedos for men but am unsure about what a woman is to wear. Does this differ for the different classes of ships?

My second question is: are the people posting with the HAL registered trademark Holland America employees? Just curious.

I'm envious of all of you with cruises scheduled!! Enjoy!!

Yes, this is a cruise board, but it is related to the condition of the world whether we like it or not. We, personally, will dress to the general recommendations of whatever ship we cruise; however, the reason for (as stated on this board) "the dumming down" of the cruise experience is that the world is changing, people are changing, times are changing and that affects and will continue to affect your cruise experience, again, whether you like it or not. Live and learn.

I agree with you, Sail... the decorum and decor of the ship dictate that jeans are inappropriate (but I agree with the more rugged destinations, however, like Alaska--I did bring my jeans for some of the shore excursions).

I also agree that you would never wear casual clothes to the opera or to Christmas Eve services at church.

Diane

Sorry Diane but the last sentence is not correct. I have been to the Met Opera in NYC many times and the dress code ranges from very dressy to jeans, tee shirts, plaid shirts, etc, even on the nights of premieres. The ballet and Broadway are even less dressy than the opera. Here in Tucson the normal dress at the opera and symphony is simple and quite casual but students from the university tend to come in VERY casual attire.

I have also been to church in Italy where most folks are Catholic and a dress code is not followed by some even on special holidays.

I am not arguing one way or the other regarding dress codes on ships but one must acknowledge the dramatic change in dress that has taken place in the last few decades regardless of the venue. Even some of the most elegant and high priced restaurants in NYC that always required coat and tie for men have eliminated this requirement. Again, money speaks.

Hot off the press: The latest and greatest from the HAL "Know before you go" booklet:

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sport shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts (could this be the infamous hero-t-shirts?;) ), swimsuits, tank tops (i.e. wifebeaters) are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually (note the 'usually') wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen usually (note the 'usually') wear a suit and tie or tuxedo..............

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland Americe Line asks (note 'asks') that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the evenings.

Members from the Bali Police Department will be posted throughout the vessel ;)

Sorry Diane but the last sentence is not correct.

You are absolutely right Amusea, as it relates to the Met, Broadway and ballet. Zagat reported in 2005, that only 4 restaurants required a jacket and tie.

The Met, Broadway and ballet have never had dress codes. They leave it to the discretion of the patron. No one is denied access based upon attire.

Sail, stop everything right now, give me your address and I'll come over and help you pack the "finery" for you and DH. Those of us who choose to observe traditional formal evening by wearing formal clothing on those nights should continue to do so despite what others might decide to wear. HAL needs to know that there are a lot of loyal customers who like to cruise with formality and enjoy the experience of dressing up. We can dress down all we want at home; for us it makes the cruise experience much more memorable when we are able to dress up for formal nights. You won't be seeing DH or me in denim, so know you are not alone. Oh, and do you want me to bring along coffee, wine, or the "good stuff" (scotch) to help you pack ? ? ? ?:D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

Hot off the press: The latest and greatest from the HAL "Know before you go" booklet:

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sport shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts (could this be the infamous hero-t-shirts?;) ), swimsuits, tank tops (i.e. wifebeaters) are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually (note the 'usually') wear a cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen usually (note the 'usually') wear a suit and tie or tuxedo..............

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland Americe Line asks (note 'asks') that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the evenings.

Members from the Bali Police Department will be posted throughout the vessel ;)

John- You have far too much time on your hands today me thinks!!!:p

John- You have far too much time on your hands today me thinks!!!:p

You are right, maybe, no, probably! Choice between CC and a chick flick on TV called "Must love dogs" but the good news for everybody here is that I'm going to work in one hr;)

As HAL would count it, I was on 6 cruises in the past 8 months, each over 2 weeks in length, I saw NO reason to pack anything different that I have for the past 25+ years for cruises. Most of the people dressed no differently than historically, except perhaps the formal dresses were less fancy. (Far fewer beaded and sequined outfits, in part because they weigh so much. I can pack 4 or 5 other outfits, including formals, for the weight of one beaded dress and there are the flight baggage weight restrictions.

There are less beaded dresses around the ships because there are less beaded dresses out there in general.

Men would not be sent back to get a jacket on any cruises now on smart casual nights since they are no longer required on those evenings.There are no longer informal nights, only formal and smart casual.

The whole idea of a vacation is to get away from work. Why would someone want to go on vacation and then dress like they are at work? A vacation is a time to relax and enjoy the company of others without worrying if you will make the sail, win the contract, win the case ...

There will be plenty of chances to dress up again once you return to the real world.

Perhaps you should correct that to state that your whole idea of a vacation is to get away from work and whatever type of clothes you wear on a daily basis. I work from home in shorts and t shirt most days and then in business attire for meetings and conventions. I do not wear cocktail attire or elegant evening wear to work and enjoy doing so while on vacation. I also enjoy the atmosphere created when others do the same.

The "real world" where people dress like they are mowing the lawn to go to a nice restaurant, church or a Broadway show is not particularly appealing to me. I do not wear jeans or casual attire to any of these venues, despite the choices others may make to do so. Cruising used to provide an escape to a more traditional, elegant world, but that is sadly becoming a memory.

For some of us, dressing up is not the apparent burden it is to others.

We are just back from a wonderful weekend in Grand Cayman and stayed in an elegant hotel where people were beautifully dressed in the evenings for nice dinners. It reminded me of what cruising used to be like before the downward spiral to all too casual, everyday dress.

Dressing for dinner has been a part of cruising for a long time. I have given up the battle to find a line that has not been affected by the lowered standards apparently demanded by today's cruisers.

For us, cruising is no longer our preferred vacation and we have decided to stick with vacations that better suit our need and, yes, resorts with some level of enforced dress codes at dinner in the fine dining restaurants.

Dressing for dinner has been a part of cruising for a long time. I have given up the battle to find a line that has not been affected by the lowered standards apparently demanded by today's cruisers.

Try Crystal.

Archived