Star Laundry Service Qs

AntsyforAlaska

My boyfriend and I will be sailing on our very first cruise to Alaska on Sept 15, and I had a question regarding laundry.

Is there self-service laundry or is it just a laundry service? Just trying to get myself together on packing.

Also, I have been reading the boards a lot lately, and I want to thank everyone for the great information. Does anyone have any recent Dailies from the Star. I have found ones for the Star from May to Mexico, but none for the Alaska.

Thank you for making a first-time cruiser ready for her trip!

I'm sorry to report the Star doesn't have any self service laundrymats.

The Dawn, the very next ship built upon the same hull as the Star, does have self service laundrymats.

You can still take advantage of the ship's laundry valet services, like you can on every NCL ship. There will also be a $20 "Fill a Laundry Bag" special mid-way through your cruise. Here's the Valet Services Order Form:

NCLLaundry.jpg

I'm sorry to report the Star doesn't have any self service laundrymats.

The Dawn, the very next ship built upon the same hull as the Star, does have self service laundrymats.

You can still take advantage of the ship's laundry valet services, like you can on every NCL ship. There will also be a $20 "Fill a Laundry Bag" special mid-way through your cruise. Here's the Valet Services Order Form:

NCLLaundry.jpg

If you use the Fill-A-Bag special, do you need to seperate your colors and whatnot in seperate bags? Basically, do they wash everything together, or will they sort whites/colors and whatnot?

They will sort and label everything and I mean everything in the laundry bag, you do not need to seperate anything. They are the little iron on labels used by commercial laundries. :)

Really? OK. My wife is concerned they won't sort by laundry type (hot/cold) and whatnot.

I take it there haven't been many complaints of ruined clothes or anything?

Thanks for the quick reply BTW!

I have never used the ships' laundry facilities because of the same concerns -- shrinkage, color transfer. However, my husband takes advantage of it on every cruise, and his clothes come back beautifully pressed and without any problems. I'm definitely going to to it next time. Even though we'll have a landromat aboard the Jewel, I'm not washing clothes on my vacation!

My kids have sensitive skin. Do you know if they use biological detergent - the type with enzymes for the cleaner wash? Or can i specify only non-biological detergent should be used?

I can't remember there being a laundromat on the Jewel? Where is it situated?

Do they offer the bag special on every cruise?

Is that for clothing that only goes into a washing machine and not dry cleaned?

Also, I plan on hand washing a few things, where can I air dry them on The Star? Is there a way to hang stuff in the shower? We have a oceanview cabin.

Do they offer the bag special on every cruise?

Is that for clothing that only goes into a washing machine and not dry cleaned?

Also, I plan on hand washing a few things, where can I air dry them on The Star? Is there a way to hang stuff in the shower? We have a oceanview cabin.

I have never used the bag special but...I have not seen it offered on our last few Dawn cruises.

For dry clean, you must use the laundry valet service.

The Dawn and the Jewel both have the auto laundry line that you can pull across the shower/tub. If there is no tub, you can always hang things in the shower but I would bring a few wire hangars so that you can bend them.

I have never used the ships' laundry facilities because of the same concerns -- shrinkage, color transfer. However, my husband takes advantage of it on every cruise, and his clothes come back beautifully pressed and without any problems. I'm definitely going to to it next time. Even though we'll have a landromat aboard the Jewel, I'm not washing clothes on my vacation!

We had to use the laundry service on the Star since we didn't have our luggage until Tuesday afternoon. (They gave us free laundry service until we got our bags) Everything came back beautiful, no shrinkage, damage or color transfer--and it was all pressed, including T-shirts.

The NCL laundry bags actually say right on them "I'm on vacation and I'm not doing laundry!"

Archived