Getting to beach without a taxi or excursion

smrtypnts

Is there any way to get to a beach without taking a taxi or an excursion? In other words, is there a beach within walking distance or is there a bus one can take? If a bus is the answer, will there be a bus available for the return trip?

My daughter and her friend will be going there via Princess for Spring Break in April and we have forbid them from getting in a taxi for any reason. They will probably be doing the Regatta races first, but then want to go to a beach and lay out for the rest of the day. My daughter and her friend are only 18 and I don't want to give a taxi driver an opportunity to do with them as he pleases.:eek:

There is a town beach right in the downtown. It is strictly for sunbathing and not for swimming due to pollution. You can walk from the pier but it is good hike. Better to to take the $5 water taxi (dozens of others at a time) to the downtown dock. Shopping area on Front Street and beach area are right there. Can go back and forth all day to the pier on the water taxi for the same $5 ticket.:) :D :D :)

As stated above, there's Great Bay Beach, right in town, but a taxi ride to Orient (or other beach) should be the least of your worries, with the other 6 or 8 or 10 passengers riding along with them.

I'd be much more concerned about the cabin steward or getting into an elevator on the ship.

gary

p.s. and just to ease your thoughts, 18 is legal drinking age on the island.

Oh that sounds perfect. Thank you. I sincerely doubt they want to go to a beach where they can't go swimming.

I'm not sure what sounds perfect. The post you reference is only talking about the one beach, Great Bay Beach, which is located at downtown Philipsburg, which is where the water taxi goes, and which is polluted, so don't go swimming.

gary

AS a mother or 3 daughters, I truly understand your concerns. On the other hand walking to some of these places rather than not taking a taxi can be more dangerous depending on where they are walking to or if they go in the wrong direction. If you are concerned about their safety, have them stick to cruise sponsered excursions or stick to the area right next to the pier. The other option is to have them share a taxi with others from the cruise ship.

Who are they traveling with? Can they offer some supervision to get to the beach? Since the girls are only 18 they need to be traveling with an older adult. Maybe that person could accompany them to the beach.

Frankly I think they will be very disappointed with any beach they can walk to from either the downtown area or where the ship docks.

VMOM, they are traveling alone. Princess allows 18yo's on their cruises. Thanks for the insight regarding any beach within walking distance. Thanks for the idea of sharing a taxi. I did think of beach excursions via the ship, but since they're paying for everything, they didn't want to spend the money.

gtaylor, I didn't realize (it wasn't explained well enough) that the water taxi takes you to a beach that also can not be used for swimming. :eek: Thanks for letting me know.

Lastly, I just realized recently about drinking on the islands. I haven't decided whether to tell them and tell them not to get into any trouble and stay away or not let them know and hope they never figure it out.:eek: :o :confused:

You may want to call your travel agent or Princess re the 2 18year olds traveling together just to be on the safe side. I copied and pasted the passenger contract from the Princess website. I think Princess may have made some changes. According to the Princess passage contract, all passengers under the age of 21 must be accompained by as adult over the age or 21. I'm not trying to cause any problems, just wanted to make sure there are no surprises when they try to board the ship. Best to get it all worked out in advance.

The passenger contract from the Princess web site states that:

Legal & Privacy Passage Contract

Passage Contract

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PASSENGERS: PLEASE CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING PASSAGE CONTRACT TERMS THAT GOVERN ALL DEALINGS BETWEEN YOU AND CARRIER, AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND ARE BINDING ON YOU, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, PARTICULARLY SECTION 13 GOVERNING THE PROVISION OF MEDICAL AND OTHER PERSONAL SERVICES AND SECTIONS 14 THROUGH 16 LIMITING CARRIER'S LIABILITY, YOUR RIGHT TO SUE OR ARBITRATE, AND WAIVER OF JURY TRIAL.

5. AGE REQUIREMENTS; DRINKING AGE; GAMING AGE; ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

The minimum Passenger age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Trans-canal and Australia/New Zealand cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises. Passengers under the age of 21 years must be accompanied by a Passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. Each Passenger hereby agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Passenger in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Passengers under their supervision.

Most cabs at the pier in the morning are van-cabs which hold 8-10 people so the teenagers will be traveling with other people from the ship to the beach. The dispatcher will direct them to a cab going to Orient, which they will share. The cabbie will drop them off at one of the main points at Orient then scoot back to the pier for another load.

In the afternoon they can go to a drop off point where the cabs wait for fares back to the ship. The cabbie will try to get a full load.

The fare each way is $6 pp with a full load, otherwise the fare is $9 pp if only 2 in cab.

They will be surrounded by 100s of people from the ship going to the beach, sitting at the beach and going back to the ship.

Thank you Big Booper, that's excellent info.

VMOM, OMG--This must be new. I haven't actually help them book yet, but this must be new info, as I even called as recently as last week and was told 18 years old, in addition to seeing it on their website. Thank you. I'll have to further check this out.:confused:

Well...think positive...maybe this would be a great excuse for you to take a cruise also. I'd hate for the girls to be disappointed. Maybe you can get a friend to go with you and make it a "girlfriends" cruise...and of course assure your daughter that you'll be too busy with your friend to get in her way.

Well...think positive...maybe this would be a great excuse for you to take a cruise also. I'd hate for the girls to be disappointed. Maybe you can get a friend to go with you and make it a "girlfriends" cruise...and of course assure your daughter that you'll be too busy with your friend to get in her way.

Your idea is smart and good and if I didn't have my heart set on the entire family taking a 7 day cruise in Hawaii as well as 7 days on land next summer, I'd do it......but given the expense of this, I can't financially handle both. :( <sigh>

Oh that sounds perfect. Thank you. I sincerely doubt they want to go to a beach where they can't go swimming.

what cruise line are you going on that 18 can travel alone? On carnival kids must be 21 to travel alone. Or is it 25?

go figure.

So you guys are saying that the Great Bay Beach, I guess it is called, you can't swim in it. I was there last year, but it was thunderstorming, so apparently, nobody would be in the water, but I was there in 2004 and people were able to swim in the beach. It was really nice.

I guess it has gotton pollutted after all these years?

So no swimming?

I was planning on doing that and shopping right here. I guess not now, I'll have to find out something else to do?

What's to do in Marigot?

There are no signs that say swimming is a risk; and not a single beach side merchant will tell you there is a problem. You can ask the local tourist bureau is there is a problem and they will say NO PROBLEM! The water is a beautiful teal green (simply because it's shallow with a white sandy bottom) and there are no fish kills. Oh and yes there are all kinds of people in the water having a great time.

So what's the big deal?????

The problem with Great Bay is many fold. Most importantly more than 85% of St. Maarten sanitary sewage is UNTREATED...not an ounce of treatment. There are two major ditches which discharge into Great Bay. One is located at The Greenhouse Restaurant near Bobby's Marina and the other is located at the other end of the beach. These ditches drain upland areas and the Salt Pond and contain human wastes. The Salt Pond has a garbage dump in the middle it liquids get pumped out into the ditch which drains into Great Bay.

The second problem is Great Bay is the largest industrial port in St. Maarten. With that you get shipboard releases of all kinds of nasty materials.

Finally, Great Bay is an embayment which typically has a small turnover of water volume and limited circulation. Given the fact that it is very shallow, the turnover is even less than for a deeper embayment.

The advice here is enjoy this most beautiful bay. The sand is much more coarse than found elsewhere on the island because it is imported material (i.e. a man-made beach). Swim in the water at your own peril.

There are no signs that say swimming is a risk; and not a single beach side merchant will tell you there is a problem. You can ask the local tourist bureau is there is a problem and they will say NO PROBLEM! The water is a beautiful teal green (simply because it's shallow with a white sandy bottom) and there are no fish kills. Oh and yes there are all kinds of people in the water having a great time.

So what's the big deal?????

The problem with Great Bay is many fold. Most importantly more than 85% of St. Maarten sanitary sewage is UNTREATED...not an ounce of treatment. There are two major ditches which discharge into Great Bay. One is located at The Greenhouse Restaurant near Bobby's Marina and the other is located at the other end of the beach. These ditches drain upland areas and the Salt Pond and contain human wastes. The Salt Pond has a garbage dump in the middle it liquids get pumped out into the ditch which drains into Great Bay.

The second problem is Great Bay is the largest industrial port in St. Maarten. With that you get shipboard releases of all kinds of nasty materials.

Finally, Great Bay is an embayment which typically has a small turnover of water volume and limited circulation. Given the fact that it is very shallow, the turnover is even less than for a deeper embayment.

The advice here is enjoy this most beautiful bay. The sand is much more coarse than found elsewhere on the island because it is imported material (i.e. a man-made beach). Swim in the water at your own peril.

You and Gary never cease to amaze me with your grasp of the local stuff going on in St Martin. But I guess if you spend 3 weeks a year there and have lots of local buddies..........

You and Gary never cease to amaze me with your grasp of the local stuff going on in St Martin. But I guess if you spend 3 weeks a year there and have lots of local buddies..........

A far as this subject, i.e. water pollution, etc. I suspect that kal may have at least a semi-professional interest in conditions on the island.

Not that we don't BOTH care very dearly about the island.

gary

p.s. Last year we broke our (short) streak of four weeks at a whack. In any event, we're getting close to having spent the magic 52 weeks on-island.

A far as this subject, i.e. water pollution, etc. I suspect that kal may have at least a semi-professional interest in conditions on the island....

Let's just say I don't quit my day job when I go to St. Maarten. ;)

Needless to say this issue of no sewage treatment is of great concern to me. A person just doesn't realize this is an issue until you find out the facts from knowledgeable locals and perform some personal due diligence.

<snip>

gtaylor, I didn't realize (it wasn't explained well enough) that the water taxi takes you to a beach that also can not be used for swimming. :eek: Thanks for letting me know.

Lastly, I just realized recently about drinking on the islands. I haven't decided whether to tell them and tell them not to get into any trouble and stay away or not let them know and hope they never figure it out.:eek: :o :confused:

I've still got some concerns about your comments in these prior postings that you made elsewhere:

Like "That's very funny!!!"

Read your responses in the links that I provided, above, and here:

My original comment, based upon your postings: I'd be much more concerned about the cabin steward or getting into an elevator on the ship.

gary

Archived