Why is everyone so scared of....

partygirl43

the Straw market? Every thread I see...people post.."but I don't go in to far" I've been to many a Mexican Border town, Mexico City....China Towns the world over....

Is this just a case of American Scardey Pants Tourists?

Really if you want the mall--stay in America....:cool:

Partygirl, I agree with you. In the summer it can be miserably hot in there but that's as bad as it gets. It's always fun to stroll through, chat with the ladies, buy a few nick-nacks, etc. Knock-off purses are big there now and it's really bringing the crowds.

It's different than we have at home and it's the difference that is much of the fun!

BobK/Orlando

I agree, my DW and I were there last Feb. and bought some souvenire items for us and for the G-kids. I certainly don't expect high quality merchandise from there, but we were happy with what we purchased and I always enjoy a little of the banter with the vendors. Sure it gets hot, it is outdoors and in the tropics, what else would one expect? I never plan to spend the whole day in there anyway, it is just one more of the many memories that we enjoy when remembering the whole cruising experience. If one has never been there, go and try it once. If it is not for you, then don't go back. Some people only wish to go shopping in places where there are marble floors and A/C. I would just suggest that people check it out for themselves, don't get scared off because somebody else didn't like it there.

Randy

Might be because of the rats, 2 of whom we saw last week, and they are huge!

If you're a cruiser, then you know that there are rats at every port in the world. Anytime you are near the water, rats are nearby.

Quite frankly, I'm sure you could find some on your ship.

Nassau is no different.

Meh. Be glad that not everyone likes it, or else it would be even more crowded and hot than it already is.

I like the booths that have people carving what they sell, or some other type of craft, but I have no interest in t-shirts, knockoff purses, or trinkets made in China. ( I can get all of those things at the local Walmart). I'm glad I have been through it, it is no longer one of those curiosities (what's it like to visit a REAL LIVE straw market?? :D ), but I don't need to visit multiple times, and I can see why people would get turned off of (or even scared of) being touched or grabbed or have necklaces thrown over your head without being asked (and then the thrower gets annoyed when you won't buy it and practically rips it off). Not all the vendors are like that, I know, but some of them are.

Now if I could find a good farmer's market to graze through, that would be awesome. :)

Meh. Be glad that not everyone likes it, or else it would be even more crowded and hot than it already is.

Now if I could find a good farmer's market to graze through, that would be awesome. :)

Just book the Western Med cruise that departs from Barcelona, and wander through the open air markets there -- FABULOUS!!! Edible artwork, and everything you'd ever imagine, from all kinds of seafood (live on ice!) to fruits and veggies to chocolate. It was wonderful!

Nancy D

Just book the Western Med cruise that departs from Barcelona, and wander through the open air markets there -- FABULOUS!!! Edible artwork, and everything you'd ever imagine, from all kinds of seafood (live on ice!) to fruits and veggies to chocolate. It was wonderful!

Nancy D

That does sound fabulous! I'll keep that in mind... :D

Scubagirl- I was simply answering the question...there was a thread running recently about the uncleanliness of the straw market, and we DID experience the rats for ourselves last week, as well as having to wade through all the water from the downpour we experienced while we were there. I have spent much more time at Nassau/PI than I have ever spent on a cruse ship.

Rats? People are scared of rats? Have you guys ever seen a rat in NYC? They are the size of a house cat! And I'm not kidding! The subway stations are loaded with them, so its hum hoe to me.

The rats aren't going to bother you, just like mice, birds, deer, ducks, squirrels, fish, and insects. They are more scared of you & take off.

I was just in the Straw Market, just a tourist shop to get knick-knacks. Like an indoor flea market. It's no big deal.

It's been a couple of years since I was there, but I did not feel uncomfortable anywhere I walked in Nassau. Granted I did not walk the entire city, but we did venture further than the straw market and I did not feel threatened at any time.

Also, we took the historic tour which went to the Queens staircase, Fort Charlotte, and on a city tour. The most memorable part of the tour was the dead rat the size of a small cat on the sidewalk. That and the feral dogs laying out on the beach-I kid you not, nothing but dogs. They also wandered through town, but I never felt like they would attack-they just minded their own business.

Some of the sales people are kind of agressive but if you give a firm no they will leave you alone. My BFF was with me, and she is very naive. I left her alone to get t-shirts and she got ripped off by a hair braider ($125 and she did not have a lot of hair!), but other than that we had a great time in Nassau.

Archived