My First Cruise

Hi All,

I will be undertaking my first cruise a week on Monday on the Pacific Sun, but am starting to have some doubts after reading some stuff in the last couple of days, mainly about cruises (or parts of) being cancelled due to bad weather, people getting very ill due to sea sickness, and people getting involved in brawls etc.....

For those who have been on the Pacific Sun...is it as relaxing as the brochures make out???

With regards to sea sickness i have some concerns, i will be taking medication with me. Can you actually feel the ship moving around on the water, if so how much? Or is it just a gradual pitch and roll?

From your experiences, do many people get sick??

Looking very forward to it, its a long overdue holiday and hope it all goes well.

Cheers

Hi FirstTymeCrewser and welcome to the boards. You'll find some great info on here & everybody is really helpful.

I cruised on the Pacific Sun in April last year and it was FANTASTIC. 2 months later we booked to go on the Pacific Dawn in Nov this year and I can't wait. It is as relaxing as you want it to be. I am a wife and mum of 3 and to me, it's the only holiday where I get a holiday as well as the rest of the family. I had 11 days of no washing, no ironing, no making beds, no cleaning, no cooking, and the best thing, no decing what to cook (that IS the worst job).

As for sickness, that really depends on the person but to be honest, not a lot of people get seasick unless it is really rough. We had one fairly rough day and my 10yo son got a little sick (only pewked once...was fine after having some phenergen). But....he does get car sick sometimes too. The rest of us were fine. Hubby & I never took anything but I made the kids take kwells (may sound selfish but I didn't want to spend my well earned holiday being confined to a cabin with a sick child). They only took them the day we left (about half hour before sailing) and in the morning of the rough day. As far as ship's movement goes...well obviously that depends on the weather. Sometimes you will feel it move, other times you won't. When you're in bed you'll feel it move just enough to kow that you are on a ship but I think it's a wonderful feeling. Don;t think about the negatives, go with an open mind and you'll have a great time.

Karen

You're right firsttimer,

it's awful...fights and brawls everywhere, no time for rest as you are continuously cleaning up barf from everyone who is sick.... and that's if you are lucky to head off at all if the engines don't start up they give everyone an oar. I'd be happy to save you from this awful experience please send me your tickets:

Carlz

123 Pullingyourleg St

Imsofunnynot VIC 3000

Now really....bad weather can spoil any holiday- cruise or land based but there is so much to do on board (undercover) that you will not even notice a cloud or two. Heavy seas can be felt on board...I took kwells every day and was never sick once. Having said that 7 days of the 9 were smooth and sunny and I actually enjoyed the rougher days as it really felt as if we were sailing then!

I agree with Karen- as a Mum of 2 cruising was the MOST relaxing holiday I have ever had (and is why I am booked for 2 more!). Unpack once, travel to different countries with minimum fuss. No cooking or cleaning! Enjoy activities all day and night or sit by the pool and do nothing at all!

On my cruise on The Pacific Sun we never saw one brawl or even one overly drunk passenger. People can over do it no matter where you are, but this was not my experience.

It is true that cruises can be delayed etc, in fact my 1st one was cancelled but P&O did everything they could to fix up the prob and I ended up with enough on board credit that I didn't need to buy a drink the whole time.

Don't go with too high expectations and then just enjoy every moment that comes your way.

happy sailing!:)

You're right firsttimer,

it's awful...fights and brawls everywhere, no time for rest as you are continuously cleaning up barf from everyone who is sick.... and that's if you are lucky to head off at all if the engines don't start up they give everyone an oar. I'd be happy to save you from this awful experience please send me your tickets:

Carlz

123 Pullingyourleg St

Imsofunnynot VIC 3000

happy sailing!:)

Very funny Carlz. Love it.

Karen

The best cruises I have had have been the ones where ports were cancelled!!! We received onboard credits (up to $200) for not visiting!! I had one cruise shortened and the company paid for our flights to NZ to join the ship..they credited us $500 so we flew out early and spent a couple of days in Auckland.

The security is pretty tight on the ships now, and most people are very well behaved. The brawling that was mentioned came from channel 7 and we all know that they have it in for P&O. Even the other channels had a go at them for not reporting the truth.

Sea sickness....take tablets the night before the cruise and the first 3 days at sea....it is better to be prepared than suffer. I haven't suffered from the mal der mer but I have a friend who suffers constantly. She loves cruising and now before the boat sails, organises to visit the onboard doctor on the first sea day!!LOL!! I tell her it is cheaper to buy your tablets prior to sailing but she is convinced she won't need them!! DOH!!

Take a box of dry biscuits with you to settle your tummy.

Most people only get sick on the really rough days.

I have only encountered 2 days of rough seas in my last 5 cruises.

Just relax and enjoy the experience. You will love it!!!

Kaz

Great info and advice Kaz, I feel better already :D

Oh, I had a huge reply written and it disappeared! :(

FirstTymeCrewser, don't stress about it to much. You are asking the wrong people here, 99% of us are cruise addicts.

The media sensationalise anything to do P&O. It is unfortunate what has happened to that poor bloke, but it could happen anywhere.

There is nothing we can do about the weather and delays it causes. I would much rather be delayed on a cruise ship where you are fed and entertained than stuck at an airport.

Seasickness is really a personal thing as so do some don't. Thankfully I don't. Take the drugs with you and if all else fails get the injection from the doctor, it is supposed to work miracles. A travelling companion was in the cabin for 2 days and had the jab and then was eating prawns for lunch.

Oh, I had a huge reply written and it disappeared! :(

FirstTymeCrewser, don't stress about it to much. You are asking the wrong people here, 99% of us are cruise addicts.

The media sensationalise anything to do P&O. It is unfortunate what has happened to that poor bloke, but it could happen anywhere.

There is nothing we can do about the weather and delays it causes. I would much rather be delayed on a cruise ship where you are fed and entertained than stuck at an airport.

Seasickness is really a personal thing as so do some don't. Thankfully I don't. Take the drugs with you and if all else fails get the injection from the doctor, it is supposed to work miracles. A travelling companion was in the cabin for 2 days and had the jab and then was eating prawns for lunch.

Poor Jane and Kaz ! you really should have a 'cut and paste' reply to all of us poor newbies who stress about seasickness !! ;) Or a 'please refer to this thread <enter link> where we've tried to convince you to just chill out about being seasick' message :) I've got my drugs....happy camper...I mean happy cruiser....well soon I will be :D

LOve your countdown jane.

now are we supposed to feel sorry for you........

Karon you are so observant, I never notice these things:rolleyes:

and I dont feel sorry for ADF because I know she will have another one booked before I get on my next one, I still have 9 months and looking at her track record..........

Chez

xx

YES, you are all supposed to feel sorry for me. poor me. hee hee hee.

Am trying for 16 nighter to Tonga Sep 08. That is heaps away. Anyone want to babysit? He said if I could get one then we could go. Wonder what he will say if I tell him I have found one.

Well Jane, least I get to go before you then:D

I'll babysit if she would like a holiday in Port Macquarie!!

Chez

xx

FirstTymecruiser, I had some reservations about going on a cruise the first time but within a couple of hours of boarding I was hooked. I couldn't believe how friendly everyone was and felt quite safe the whole time. I don't think I have ever seen anything that concerned me on the two cruises I have been on. No drunken idiots, no kids running everywhere, thats the big thing I noticed. I went to the kids skit thing they have at the end of the cruise and couldn't believe how many kids had been onboard. You hardly every see them. Not that I don't like kids but it is nice to be kid-free sometimes.

Hi FirstTymeCrewser,

Sounds like you will be on the same cruise as my hubby and I, leaving on the pacific sun 20/08/07, from Sydney.

You will have a fantastic time, very relaxing and lots to do if you want!

Check out our roll call (albeit a vey small one) on the p&o roll call board.

If not, hope you have a terrific time, just stock up on kwells as already explained by other fanatical cruise addicts.

Cheers,

Michele:)

Archived