Bon Voyage gifts? Tacky?

frexpar

Anyone ever have friends/family order things for them via the Bon Voyage department?

Is it worth it? I'm afraid of sounding tacky mentioning it to people... considering we're going on a wonderful vacation while they are staying at home.

We ordered a package for friends on their honeymoon and they were very appreciative and surprised! They were thrilled with the contents too! I have ordered the room decorations myself for a cruise with my mom and sisters and they love them. We left them up all week.

Anyone ever have friends/family order things for them via the Bon Voyage department?

Is it worth it? I'm afraid of sounding tacky mentioning it to people... considering we're going on a wonderful vacation while they are staying at home.

Well, as you point out, the tacky part would be mentioning to friends that they can buy you a bon voyage gift. It's never appropriate to hint for gifts. :rolleyes:;)

When my sister and I cruised last, friends of hers had a fruit basket, a snifter with M&Ms, and a coupon for a starter tray (hors d'veures? darn, I worked in a country club for years and cannot remember how to spell it...) in the room. We were really thrilled and impressed that they thought of us. I just yesterday ordered the Bon Voyage streamers and stuff for family cruising in November.

I don't think it's tacky at all. I think it is fun and thoughtful. That being said, although the fruit basket is beautiful, we didn't really eat the fruit since there is so much available on the ship and you can't take it off at ports. The "starters" were great.

Well, as you point out, the tacky part would be mentioning to friends that they can buy you a bon voyage gift. It's never appropriate to hint for gifts. :rolleyes:;)

Heh, like a wedding registry isn't hinting! :D

Upon embarkment, we had in our cabin, the coolers with 6 cokes and a hat in them. We had soda all week when in the room, and even took some home. Also had the fruit and wine basket delivered and was waiting in our room when we got there.

On our anniversary, they delivered to our room, the anniversary pack which was a bottle of champange, and a few other little gifts.

Also on our anniversary, we had a cake delivered to our table at dinner. The crew sang to us, and it was so special.

I still have a bottle of wine that I brought home with me.

This is funny--from the title of the post I thought you were asking if the cabin decorations were tacky. I couldn't wait to give my opinion---yes but in a party-animal way. Don't get me wrong, we loved them lots (my friend and I actually order them for our girls cruise) and joked about the fact that as the cruise went on, they stretched lower and lower down. By evening two, they were in or below your face. It was great.

The streamers and so forth are pretty much Big Lots style but really in keeping with the party mood. Go for it!

The special occasion cake was really pretty and tasted so yummy.

Finally, I also have to say that telling someone about the Bon Voyage package is a little strange in the first place....I am assuming you were asked "What can we do to make your trip special"??? Surely you wouldn't hint for them to do that for you?

I bought the anniversery package for my wife. It was the week before our 25th. We went with the champagne/glasses/photo certificate/tee shirts & Visors.

She was very surprised and thought the ship sent them.

On Friday, we actually were going down to my photos, so we unwrapped the box to get the certificate. Danged if there wern't 4 drink coupons also. Totally unexpected.

The package was a good value, nicely presented, and perfect for that special occasion!

On my last cruise I got my wife one of the romance packages and I really found it worthwhile. Bottle of bubbly, two glasses, two Shirts, two visors, and 4 drink coupons. It was just nice to have it for the sail away on our balcony. Now I won't be getting it this cruise, only because my wife is expecting and I can't see me drinking a whole bottle. My parents are getting it for the second time this cruise.

Sorry for having to ask, but how do you go about ordering these kinds of things? I'm about to be going on my second cruise, and might want to surprise somebody! Thanks

Sorry for having to ask, but how do you go about ordering these kinds of things? I'm about to be going on my second cruise, and might want to surprise somebody! Thanks

It's kind of hard, from what I know, to completely surprise someone with a gift since you'll have to know the Booking and Stateroom number

Is it tacky mentioning to others that they can buy you a gift? Yes.

If they want to buy you a gift they can certainly figure out how to do so.

It's kind of hard, from what I know, to completely surprise someone with a gift since you'll have to know the Booking and Stateroom number

On the contrary, you can call the Bon Voyage department and all you need is the ship, date sailing, and the name of person on the reservation. They can find them and take care of it for you. We were completely surprised with our gifts, as will my family be.

With the exception of wedding registries and housewarmings, I think soliciting for gifts is in poor taste.

If someone's not familiar with cruising traditions, I can't imagine it would ever occur to them to buy a gift for someone just because they're going on vacation. Even now, I wouldn't do it for anyone but my GF.

haha, yes. I would neverrrrrrrrrr hint to family/friends to send me gifts on my cruise while they are at home working!

Speaking of BON VOYAGE GIFTS-- where was it that you could order different beers and liquors (not through Carnival).. does anyone know?

haha, yes. I would neverrrrrrrrrr hint to family/friends to send me gifts on my cruise while they are at home working!

Speaking of BON VOYAGE GIFTS-- where was it that you could order different beers and liquors (not through Carnival).. does anyone know?

I have bookmarked the below site. The page will open up to Tampa deliveries, but I'm sure you can get to other pages. There are probably others, but this one I got from a post on this board. If you find others, please do post.

http://www.wellwishers.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WWIv5&Category_Code=USBonVoyageGifts-FL-TAMPA&offset=0

Note: I just went to the site, and it seems to be only wine and some other types of Bon Voyage gifts. Sorry.

Was this the anniversary basket with the champagne, flutes, shirts, visors, etc? Thinking of ordering it for DH - was it worth the $78.00?

Upon embarkment, we had in our cabin, the coolers with 6 cokes and a hat in them. We had soda all week when in the room, and even took some home. Also had the fruit and wine basket delivered and was waiting in our room when we got there.

On our anniversary, they delivered to our room, the anniversary pack which was a bottle of champange, and a few other little gifts.

Also on our anniversary, we had a cake delivered to our table at dinner. The crew sang to us, and it was so special.

I still have a bottle of wine that I brought home with me.

"Tacky" yes, but a great surprise. On my last cruise my room was decorated by some un-known person. I never could find out who to think. All I could find out was "Courtesy of Carnival". Hanging streamers, fruit and wine basket and carry-all full of all kinds of goodies. :D

Was this the anniversary basket with the champagne, flutes, shirts, visors, etc? Thinking of ordering it for DH - was it worth the $78.00?

I purchased the "bon voyage package" on our last Conquest cruise and it had 2 Carnival t shirts, 2 visors, a Carnival beach towel, champagne and flutes, and 4 drink coupons. Maybe more stuff - i can't remember, but it was definitely worth the price. Only thing was, we received the "honeymoon" flutes and tried to trade them in and they were out of bon voyage flutes so they gave us some very nice etched glass Carnival logo beer steins in trade. When I did the math it was quite a savings. :) Our room steward kept the champagne on ice for us all week and we drank it our last night at sea. These must be ordered at least 2 weeks in advance I think. My DD tried to order the birthday package and decorations in November a couple days before the cruise and was told it was too late. But hey, we had the owner's suite and they did up for me anyway! (oops! different cruise line!:o )

Just got back and ordered the above package. It also had a $15.00 photo coupon to use. the cost was $84.00 but very nice gift!

Ummmm... hinting to people to do that IS TACKY!!!! I'd be less worried about the gifts and more about sounding ridiculously rude.

Archived