How do you like 4 dining times?

localady

How do you like 4 dining times????  

305 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like 4 dining times????

• Love the new dining times, keep them!
    • Wish we could go back to 2 traditional dining times!
    • Wish we could go to "freestyle" dining!
    • Doesn't matter when we eat, as long as the food is good!

Having more options is better. I voted for Freestyle because I done both ways and found I prefer to choose my own dining time on a day to day basis. One of the problems with fixed dining times is that a fair number of people are forced to accept a time they don't like. On our Noordam cruise all of my table mates at late seating preferred early.

As long as we are assigned to 8:00 seating, then it is fine with me. If we were assigned to any other dining time, it definitely would NOT be fine with me.

Actually, I like the four seatings as we always had 8:15 (traditionally the late seating time on HAL) and going the 15 minutes earlier is nice. I think 8:00 perfect.

If we don't get 8:00 pm I will be a bit disappointed as well. To me, 8:30 just seems so late, especially for eating a large, rich meal. The early times, 5:45 and 6:15 are just too early for us - so 8:00 is the only one that seems reasonable.

If they'd left it alone, there would be more tables to accomodate those preferring a specific table.

As it is, the only reason I can see for justifying the split times is in order to reduce dining room staff - not the best message they could be sending, IMO.

Time is really important to our little group - we have diabetics and acid reflux disease sufferers, so eating in the early sitting is a real medical necessity. For our next two cruises we are on the 5:45 sitting and that is great. I would have preferred the 6: 15 but will make do - anything past 6:15 would be much too late for us.

I would not like the "freestyle" option. One of the joys of cruising is the same table, the same time, with those wonderful waiters to cater to our every need! We don't want to stand in line on a vacation!

I like the new times simply because we like 8:00 upstairs. If they change the 8 to downstairs and tell us then it is up to us to decide whether we want the latest sitting. I book so far in advance that there is very little chance we won't get our requested time.

I think half the problem with everyone getting all crazy about having 4 times is that none of us like change of any kind. I know you'll all probably jump all over me for that, but sometimes I just can't believe how people carry on about the tiniest things.

I'm thrilled that we have the opportunity to cruise at all. When we eat really shouldn't be all that big a deal in the scheme of things.

That is the problem as I see it, everyone wants either 6:15 or 8:00:eek: So that you already have 1/2 the customers that are not happy. It seems like a nightmare to me, and caused us to eat in the Lido more than once! (As 5:45 was too early and we hadn't enough time to get to dinner). I do hope someone from HAL reads this, as you have almost 60% of our readers that prefer the 2 seatings scheme better!:cool:

Right, localady. And you can't try to please more people by making the 6:15 and 8:00 both downstairs as then there wouldn't be enough time between sittings.

So now the question becomes how do you choose which guests to make happy, and which to displease.

Do you make the assignments based on when booked? Certainly "first come, first served (in a sense)" is one fair method. Or, giving preference based on number of HAL days (loyalty gets rewarded) could also be considered fair.

But the problem is these two methods could be at odds with each other. Now factor in other "fair" methods and the difficulties can grow like Topsie.

Going to four dining times simply shifted the problem HAL faced.

Only fair way would be first come first served. Otherwise, they'd have to be switching constantly as the number of people signing up who have more HAL days sign up for a cruise. It would be a constant juggle. I've always believed in first come first served for anything like this. After all, if you plan ahead and give them all that extra time with your deposit, you deserve to get your first choice. Can't imagine any other fair arrangement.

Only fair way would be first come first served. Otherwise, they'd have to be switching constantly as the number of people signing up who have more HAL days sign up for a cruise. It would be a constant juggle. I've always believed in first come first served for anything like this. After all, if you plan ahead and give them all that extra time with your deposit, you deserve to get your first choice. Can't imagine any other fair arrangement.
It also gives PAX another reason to book early instead of waiting for a last minute deal.

Heard a rumor that HAL are going to eight (8) dining times.

5.0pm (upper port side); 5.30pm (upper starboard side); 5.45pm (lower port side); 6.15pm (lower starboard side); 7.15pm (upper port side); 745pm (upper starboard side); 8.0pm (lower port side) & 8.30pm (lower starboard side).

That would really reduce the conjestion in the kitchen! And...

...Just think of all the options we will have? ? ? ?

Heard a rumor that HAL are going to eight (8) dining times.

5.0pm (upper port side); 5.30pm (upper starboard side); 5.45pm (lower port side); 6.15pm (lower starboard side); 7.15pm (upper port side); 745pm (upper starboard side); 8.0pm (lower port side) & 8.30pm (lower starboard side).

That would really reduce the conjestion in the kitchen! And...

...Just think of all the options we will have? ? ? ?

And when you heard this rumor, Gypsy, were you talking to yourself again? ;)

Or is this for real. Speak! pray tell.

As I understand it HAL did not switch to the four seatings because of staff issues. Rather it was done so that the kitchen could stagger the meals and hence their work during the early and late sittings. That is, for example, in the early sitting they could get the food upstairs before there was a demand downstairs. It was supposed to keep the food moving more orderly and more important to get it to the tables warm. If both floors had to be served at the same time some food would have to be prepared ahead of time and set out to wait.

Am I wrong?

Maybe I should listen to the advise they give lawyers. "Don't ask a question unless you know the answer."

Maybe I should follow Abe Lincoln's advise. "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak out loud and remove all doubt."

[quote name='lipoppop']As I understand it HAL did not switch to the four seatings because of staff issues. Rather it was done so that the kitchen could stagger the meals and hence their work during the early and late sittings. That is, for example, in the early sitting they could get the food upstairs before there was a demand downstairs. It was supposed to keep the food moving more orderly and more important to get it to the tables warm. If both floors had to be served at the same time some food would have to be prepared ahead of time and set out to wait.

Am I wrong?
[/QUOTE]
We were told that that is exactly the reason for the 4 dining times. It shortens the lines of asst. stewards waiting in the kitchen to pick up each course at any one time. Right after dinner orders are taken the asst. stewards will be on line in the kitchen to pick up the appetizer orders and so on through the various courses. BUT with the staggered times there will be a 30 minute or so time difference between the upper and lower level stewards picking up orders for each course, making their job faster and easier for them and for the kitchen staff.

Consequently pax should be served faster if the stewards do not have to wait on line in the kitchen as long and the food should be hotter (or colder as the case may be) if it is not sitting out as long. So everybody should be benefiting from the staggered times and we were told on the Maasdam HAL is very pleased with the results of the change.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Our 8:00 pm dinner dragged on till nearly 10:30 each night. I found our service that week to be far slower that we'd previously experienced. :o Maybe the concept is working better on some ships than others[/color][/size][/font].:cool:

I also found the 8pm time to drag on, sometimes we would be in the DR for 30 mins. before we were served any food at all. We never stayed for dessert, as that would have kept us in the DR way past 10pm. We would go to the Explorers lounge, have a specialty coffee and some chocolates. :cool:

[quote name='elmorejj']I also found the 8pm time to drag on, sometimes we would be in the DR for 30 mins. before we were served any food at all. We never stayed for dessert, as that would have kept us in the DR way past 10pm. We would go to the Explorers lounge, have a specialty coffee and some chocolates. :cool:[/QUOTE]
Same with us on the Rotterdam. One night it took 25 minutes before our order was even taken.

I don't know why they switched to 4 times. Maybe it is just a "marketing thing" to make people believe they have choices like Princess or NCL. I was told the change was to make things more efficient. It might be more efficient in the kitchen but not in the dining room. Serving stations have been removed and they have more tables to wait on, which slows things down.

Localady and elmorejj,
You both may have been at the end of the line like we were. After a couple of nights of this slow service we spoke to the maitre'd. We then had our order taken first, not last, and everything was fine. The table across from us were just getting their salads when we were ready for coffee. They were not late arriving, since we all met in the Ocean Bar and arrived in the dining room at the same time.

Lots of people have posted their service was fine. I think this was because they were at the beginning of the line and we were at the end.

We voted for "freestyle" because we have enjoyed that on NCL and Princess. However, we also see the downside to that and the plus of having an assigned table and are looking forward to returning to HAL this November. When we could choose our dining time, we found ourselves eating around 8 so we are looking forward to this new dining time on HAL. It should work well for us.

Also, we are looking forward to dining upstairs. We've always had downstairs and weren't too fond of that and looked longingly upstairs. :)

-- R&K

[font=Comic Sans MS][quote name='gizmo']Localady and elmorejj,[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]You both may have been at the end of the line like we were. After a couple of nights of this slow service we spoke to the maitre'd. We then had our order taken first, not last, and everything was fine. The table across from us were just getting their salads when we were ready for coffee. They were not late arriving, since we all met in the Ocean Bar and arrived in the dining room at the same time. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS] [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Lots of people have posted their service was fine. I think this was because they were at the beginning of the line and we were at the end.[/QUOTE][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Gizmo- We found that too. Our first week we were at a table for 2, and it was wonderful. Our meal was served promptly and it was superb!! The 2nd week we were at a table for 8 and although the company was wonderful, dinner dragged on as the smaller tables around us were served first.:cool: [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I'm just wondering what you all consider "slow service". Maybe we're weird, but we've always enjoyed dawdling over dinner. We sit, we eat, we talk ... I find it one of the best parts of the cruise. We go to the 8:15 or 8:30 (depending on the cruiseline) and often don't leave the table until 10:15. But we never felt it was the service that was slow; it was us:D .[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Are we unusual?:confused: [/font]

Slow service:

Waiting 25 minutes to have your order taken.

Two parties arrive at the same time. One table is getting served salad when the other table is ordering dessert and coffee.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Yep we had that happen to us too Gizmo. After a few nights we ended up eatting in the Pinnacle or in the Lido because the scenery was far too beautiful through the Inside Passage in the evening hours to wait for our meal.:cool: [/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='CrabbyHarper']Time is really important to our little group - we have diabetics and acid reflux disease sufferers, so eating in the early sitting is a real medical necessity.QUOTE]

Doesn't seem to be necessary for me --- I'm a type 2 diabetic and like to have 'tea' about 4:30 or 5:00, then dinner around 9:30 or 10:00. For the early (!) dining time, 8:30, I'll just make a little adjustment. No problems.

Doc says eat a little, often. Any thoughts contrary?

Lane

Archived