Cruise photos since we went digital

pierces

Lots of great pictures. I'm getting a lost more excited about our canal cruise next year! Not to mention a lot more excited about photography. I picked up the "Understanding Exposure" book you recommended in another thread, Dave. I'm only 15 pages in and I've already learned a lot! It helps that I have my old SLR here to fiddle with and kind of see hands on what the settings do with the metering and such. Now I just need to save for a DSLR in addition to paying for the cruise! Glad I have 13 months to go.

...Now I just need to save for a DSLR in addition to paying for the cruise! Glad I have 13 months to go.

I feel your pain! :eek:

Our final payment for our New Zealand to Hawaii cruise is due in December and there's a new camera body on my list between now and sail-away.

Maybe if I stop eating....

Dave

photodoodle,

Magnificent pictures....the Alaska Favorites are amazing. What kind of camera do you use? Thanks so much for sharing.

Thank you Sheila,

I use a Canon dSLR. All the wildlife shots used the 100-400 Canon zoom, and the rest were with the 24-105 zoom.

Thanks for looking!

Next time I cruise, I'm going to try more interior shots and shots of the ship. Pierces excellent photos have inspred me!

Hi Dave,

What camera are you considering?

Minolta guy since 1973 and I currently shoot with a Maxxum 7D. That makes me an orphan with Sony as my wicked stepmother. :rolleyes: I was and still am impressed with the 7D's performance (relative to it's digital generation) and ergonomics, so I am awaiting Sony's announcement of it's category replacement (A300??). The Alpha 100 was really an upgrade to the entry-level 5D and while it had some impressive features, it just didn't offer enough to make me get one. My 7D wasn't that old at the time and was working fine, so I have been biding my time and taking pictures for the last year while Sony worked out it's plans. I have seriously considered jumping ship to Canon, but have put off the decision until I see where Sony is going with the line. I also have some nice glass that would be expensive to replace if I did so. Sony inherited some great technology with the absorption of Minolta and they are a world-class technology company, so I'm fairly optimistic about their offering. The fact that they have been aligned with Zeiss for years in addition to having Minolta's lens designers folded in offers some warmth and fuzziness to the mix too. The official announcement is supposed to be on 9/6, so I guess after that, it's decision time.

Tick, tock...

Dave

Minolta guy since 1973 and I currently shoot with a Maxxum 7D. That makes me an orphan with Sony as my wicked stepmother. :rolleyes: I was and still am impressed with the 7D's performance (relative to it's digital generation) and ergonomics, so I am awaiting Sony's announcement of it's category replacement (A300??). The Alpha 100 was really an upgrade to the entry-level 5D and while it had some impressive features, it just didn't offer enough to make me get one. My 7D wasn't that old at the time and was working fine, so I have been biding my time and taking pictures for the last year while Sony worked out it's plans. I have seriously considered jumping ship to Canon, but have put off the decision until I see where Sony is going with the line. I also have some nice glass that would be expensive to replace if I did so. Sony inherited some great technology with the absorption of Minolta and they are a world-class technology company, so I'm fairly optimistic about their offering. The fact that they have been aligned with Zeiss for years in addition to having Minolta's lens designers folded in offers some warmth and fuzziness to the mix too. The official announcement is supposed to be on 9/6, so I guess after that, it's decision time.

Tick, tock...

Dave

Hmm... tough position, because even if the announcement is something you really like, it's still Sony's first offering in the category. If Sony is like everyone else, the first one will have some kinks in it that will be fixed in the next product. I got the Canon 10D. A year or two later my friend got the 20D and the improvements were impressive (image quality, interface, autofocus - better across the board). I really enjoyed the 10D compared to the p&s I was coming from, though, so I can't really complain. But when he loaned me his camera, I always had a hard time giving it back. :)

But as you know, it's not really about the camera. I had great fun with my p&s and even got some shots I still love and display.

Hmm... tough position, because even if the announcement is something you really like, it's still Sony's first offering in the category. If Sony is like everyone else, the first one will have some kinks in it that will be fixed in the next product. I got the Canon 10D. A year or two later my friend got the 20D and the improvements were impressive (image quality, interface, autofocus - better across the board). I really enjoyed the 10D compared to the p&s I was coming from, though, so I can't really complain. But when he loaned me his camera, I always had a hard time giving it back. :)

Not really so tough. I'm not too concerned about Sony's ability to produce. As I said, they picked up not only the Minolta technology, but a fair number of their design staff. This won't really be their first foray into DSLRs. The A100 was really quite remarkable for a "first issue" and picked up Popular Photography's Camera of the Year for technology like their on-the-fly dynamic range optimization and unlimited continuous 3 fps JPEG shooting. Sony also claimed the #3 place in DSLR sales in 2006 behind Canon and Nikon...even though the A100 wasn't released until August.

There were kinks, however. They took a lot of heat for high ISO noise levels in that model, so you can bet they've taken pains to address that. (Though, even bad ISO 800 digital makes ISO 800 film look like a charcoal drawing...how soon we forget!) Most people also don't realize that Sony isn't really a newcomer to digital. They have produced most of the imaging chips used in DSLRs since the 90s with the exception of Canon, Fuji and, recently, the Nikon D2/D3. In the P&S world, they are even more prevalent. In fact, chances are really good that if you own a P&S, it has a Sony chip! The new Alpha model is rumored to have a new CMOS sensor similar to, if not the same, as the new D300...no worries there, I guess.

My only complaint about Sony is their somewhat arrogant marketing and some of their weird rights-management ideas. I'm a little worried that I may have to pay them royalties on any pictures I take with my own camera!;) I guess they aren't alone, though. Canon has struck a deal with the NFL for the upcoming season that requires photographers to wear vests made by Reebok and will only be allowed to display the NFL, Reebok and Canon logos! That ought to sit well with the Nikonians!

I guess what I'm trying to say (in the most verbose manner possible) is that I feel Sony can produce a competitive product and the new camera and lenses will offer a view of how Sony plans to address the future needs of Minolta-mount photographers. If the view is too cloudy or, worse, offers a clear view of a dead end, I will probably get a Canon body and deal with two systems as I slowly replace lenses and such.

I probably didn't need to go into this much detail, but since a lot of people read these postings for camera suggestions, I figured it wouldn't hurt.:)

But as you know, it's not really about the camera. I had great fun with my p&s and even got some shots I still love and display.

Couldn't agree more! Many of the shots in my galleries are taken with a P&S. My Wonderful Wife has cruise rules that forbid any camera that won't fit in a shirt pocket at the dinner table!

Favorite question: "Nice pictures...what kind of camera did you use?"

(Yes, Sheila...you're guilty!:D )

"Nice painting Mr. Picasso! What brand of brush did you use?"

"Great book Mr. Twain! You must have a really good pen!"

LOL! I crack myself up!

Good-natured mocking aside, I can understand someone just getting into photography and curious about the benefits of one system over another asking that without even realizing that the question is a bit dismissive of the skill behind the photo.. Buying a camera is an expensive proposition and if they see pictures they would like to take, maybe the place to start is with the same equipment.

Happy shooting everyone!

Dave

I'll admit to being curious about people's camera and lenses, especially if there is some technical aspect to the photo where gear is relevent. For example, nice bokeh, good low light exposures w/ low noise, etc. The beautiful color and tonal quality of your shots made me curious about your camera. I wish I had the vocabulary to describe it, but I notice something rich and alluring, but not oversaturated, about the color. Of course, this could also be your post processing techniques, but anyway, I love the result.

OK, Dave, I admit my guilt...but since you're my teacher, you probably didn't teach me right:p Seriously though, I'm not in the least trying to emulate the gurus on this board, but, rather, learning as fast as I can and practicing whenever possible. So...keep the commentary coming and I'll keep my eyes (and fingers) ready. AND I'll still probably 'borrow' your pictures when we sail together :D

I'll admit to being curious about people's camera and lenses, especially if there is some technical aspect to the photo where gear is relevent. For example, nice bokeh, good low light exposures w/ low noise, etc. The beautiful color and tonal quality of your shots made me curious about your camera. I wish I had the vocabulary to describe it, but I notice something rich and alluring, but not oversaturated, about the color. Of course, this could also be your post processing techniques, but anyway, I love the result.

You may have stumbled on one of my main reasons for clinging to the remains of Minolta! Most of my galleries are straight out-of-camera, shot on "natural" color. What you are seeing it what the "faithful" call "Minolta color". Back in the film days, Minolta G-series glass was highly regarded for it's bokeh (curved shutter blades and a lot of them for smooth defocused areas) and color rendition. When they went digital, they stuck to the same color "feel" and went to great lengths to render it as accurately as possible. The result it what you see and what I love about my 7D. The Alpha 100 retained it well, as it's origin was greatly influenced by Minolta and I can only hope that the new model with it's CMOS sensor will as well.

I would never presume to ask about someone's equipment (tongue firmly in cheek!)....isn't that what God made EXIF data for? :D

BTW, I have long envied the Canon 100-400 f4.5-f5.6 L zoom. Sony has been releasing some pretty impressive Zeiss lenses for the Alpha and it's rumored that they may issue an updated (and upgraded) 100-400 to replace the discontinued Minolta version. I have held off buying any lenses since January 2006 when Minolta announced the dissolution of their Camera division and I've really wanted to get something longer than the 70-200 f2.8. We plan to cruise Alaska again before too long and I'm getting too old to outrun a bear after a good close-up shot!

I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

Dave

Dave

If Sony is like everyone else, the first one will have some kinks in it that will be fixed in the next product.

I bought the A-100 about 10 months ago and if it has any kinks, I haven't found them yet. I've been a Minolta user for over 40 years and I love the A-100 as much as my film Minoltas. Two things that persuaded me to buy the Sony over the Nikon and Canon offerings were the fact that I have several Minolta lenses and the A-100 is the only one with in body image stabilization.

OK, Dave, I admit my guilt...but since you're my teacher, you probably didn't teach me right:p Seriously though, I'm not in the least trying to emulate the gurus on this board, but, rather, learning as fast as I can and practicing whenever possible. So...keep the commentary coming and I'll keep my eyes (and fingers) ready. AND I'll still probably 'borrow' your pictures when we sail together :D

Don't worry, it's not a capital offense! ;)

What I said about choosing a starting point as far as equipment goes is true. Everyone starts somewhere and why not ask someone whose pictures please you.

For the record, emulating the "gurus" that inspired me over the years is where I did a lot of my learning. I've never actually dragged a coffee-table book out in the field to figure out where to set up my tripod, but I certainly had the words "What Would Ansel Do?" run through my head a few times. Imitation is not only a well respected form of flattery, but is one of the oldest and best learning tools!

A lot of people have earned a Master's Degree via imitation...though, admittedly, some picky academic types call it plagiarism! :D

Dave

I appreciate all the long winded responses. I get that way myself when I'm at the keyboard. I'm very excited about photography from the reading I've been doing recently. I'm just trying to take my time and save my money to make sure it's not just a phase that I'll be bored of before our next cruise. Truth is I don't find many opportunities to use my camera day to day. Maybe I need to start carrying my P&S around and see what I can do. The frustrating thing about learning the ins and outs of the manual settings is not having a good camera to try it out with.

One question keeps sticking in the back of my head. If I do get a camera before my Panama cruise, what lens would be best all around for that particular trip? The one I like the most is the 17-85 IS model. Would I be better off paying less and just getting the 17-55 non-IS kit lens and seeing if I stick with it? Would I get more use from a 10-22 wide angle lense for the landscapes and on-ship pictures? Or do I need the 70-300 IS zoom lens?

SO MUCH TO LEARN!

Sorry if we've hijacked your thread beyond recognition, pierces.

I appreciate all the long winded responses. I get that way myself when I'm at the keyboard. I'm very excited about photography from the reading I've been doing recently. I'm just trying to take my time and save my money to make sure it's not just a phase that I'll be bored of before our next cruise. Truth is I don't find many opportunities to use my camera day to day. Maybe I need to start carrying my P&S around and see what I can do. The frustrating thing about learning the ins and outs of the manual settings is not having a good camera to try it out with.

I carry my P&S with me 24x7. I literally never leave home without it.

While you probably don't want to spend the time day-to-day fiddling with manual settings on the P&S, spending a few minutes a day shooting whatever catches you eye will help hone compositional skills and, believe it or not, it lets you see and appreciate everything around you just a little more.

One question keeps sticking in the back of my head. If I do get a camera before my Panama cruise, what lens would be best all around for that particular trip? The one I like the most is the 17-85 IS model. Would I be better off paying less and just getting the 17-55 non-IS kit lens and seeing if I stick with it? Would I get more use from a 10-22 wide angle lense for the landscapes and on-ship pictures? Or do I need the 70-300 IS zoom lens?

SO MUCH TO LEARN!

The 17-85 will be your most often used lens. And since I mentioned it rather than the other, you can guess that i very much recommend IS. Coughing up the extra bucks for that lens is definitely worth it as you will use it 90%+ of the time.

If you had to take one lens, that would be the one I recommended. If you can swing two, get the 75-300 rather than the 10-22. It's actually pretty good for an inexpensive lens and you can always upgrade to the 100-400 later if it turns out to be more than a "phase".;) The ultra-wide is great for sweeping scenics and making your cabin look larger than it is, but if you have to choose, cover the long end first. Monkeys in a Costa Rican jungle seldom swing politely down so you can use an ultra-wide to any effect.

The 17mm end of your mid-zoom will be great for onboard pictures. Actually, you'd be surprised at how many of my ship pics are from my P&S!

Sorry if we've hijacked your thread beyond recognition, pierces.

Well, it was about cruise photography since I went digital...so since we're discussing digital cruise photography, I'm ok with it!:D

Happy shooting!

Dave

I carry my P&S with me 24x7. I literally never leave home without it.

While you probably don't want to spend the time day-to-day fiddling with manual settings on the P&S, spending a few minutes a day shooting whatever catches you eye will help hone compositional skills and, believe it or not, it lets you see and appreciate everything around you just a little more.

I just looked and the only manual setting I can really play with on my SD700 is ISO, exposure (-2/+2), white balance, and metering mode. I will try to take your advice and snap more pictures. I was definitely looking at things on the way home today seeing interesting pictures as I went.

Thanks for your thoughts on the lens options, too. I wasn't sure if it was worth upgrading to the IS model, but figured it would be a good idea. I found "1 way" has the body for $480 and the body with that lens for $860. Not bad when the kit retails for around $720 most places. There were a few places that have the body for $350, but despite them saying "1 year USA warranty", I don't trust them. That's a bit too much off the normal retail of $600-650 for the body.

I even talked to my wife enough about photography last night she said "Just buy the stupid thing already!" :o I really do want to hold off for a few months, save and see if I still want it or not.

Anyway, now I'm just rambling. Back to "Understanding Exposure". Thanks!

Randy

I even talked to my wife enough about photography last night she said "Just buy the stupid thing already!" :o

...AND YOU DIDN'T ORDER IT??? :eek:

Strike while the iron's hot, man!!! :D

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Dave

Well I'm glad I didn't because I learned tonight through some searching that the places I was looking at buying it were all bait and switch scam shops. Looks like I'll be sticking with amazon and newegg.

Thanks for all the help.

Check out B & H Photo in New York too. Adorama and One Call are good choices through Amazon.

Dave

Well I'm glad I didn't because I learned tonight through some searching that the places I was looking at buying it were all bait and switch scam shops. Looks like I'll be sticking with amazon and newegg.

Was one of those places Express Photo? If so, definitely stay away from them, they are really bad.

I second Dave's recommendation for B & H, never had a problem with them.

Woooo..Hoooo!

Good news for me today! Sony announced their Maxxum 7D replacement and it specs out to be a winner. Now I just have to hold my water until the reviews come in (so I can over-analyze with the rest!).... and the price!

New CMOS technology, a megapixel LCD, good ergonomics.... *sigh*:)

Sorry for the frivolous post...just had to click my heels!

Happy Shooting!

Dave

Sony announced their Maxxum 7D replacement and it specs out to be a winner.

I just read the review on dpreview.com It sounds very impressive. Looks as if Canon and Nikon will have some serious high end competition.

I just read the review on dpreview.com It sounds very impressive. Looks as if Canon and Nikon will have some serious high end competition.

I'm just waiting for the in-depth review of image quality. All the hands-on previews are very positive.

My Wonderful Wife has already started the eye-rolling, so I guess I need to tout how much money I'm saving not having to buy all those new lenses...:rolleyes:

Dave

Archived