RCI Stingray snorkelling excursions

38anchor

I am a newbie cruiser sailing for the first time on Freedom of the Seas - December 23 2007. I've been trying to sort out excursions and I have finally decided that one I really want to do is a Stingray option on Grand Cayman, but now the problem is, which one?

RCI seem to offer a few and I have no idea which to choose. Are the ones with lunch a good idea or should we do our own thing? What is the difference between Stingray City Sandbar Swim and Stingray City Swim? Noit really bothered about a combined beach break so have omitted that option.

These are the options coming up:

1. Stingray City Swim & Snorkel

Approximate Duration: 3 hour(s)

22.95 GBP (Adult)

2. Stingray City Sandbar Swim & Snorkel

Approximate Duration: 2 hour(s) 30 minute(s)

*22.95 GBP (Adult)

3. Stingray City Sandbar & Grand Harbor Lunch

Approximate Duration: 4 hour(s)

*32.64 GBP (Adult)

4. Stingray City Barrier Reef 2 Stop Snorkel

Approximate Duration: 3 hour(s) 30 minute(s)

*34.68 GBP (Adult)

Any help/advice/tips gratefully received. Thanks. :confused:

Just got back and we chose Moby Dick's tour to Stingray City and snorkeling...so GLAD we made this choice!

Got off the ship with no waiting at about 8:20 (and actually could have stayed on the ship another 30 minutes). Checked in with Moby Dick tours at the dock shortly after 8:30, then walked around the town about 1 hour. About the only thing open that early is the grocery store, a short walk away. You DO NOT need to rush to get off the ship for this tour since they load the van at 9:30 with ALL who signed up...not just your group. If you are there too early, you will have to fill time until 9:30.

After loading on the van, we drove about 30 minutes to the boat. There were maybe 25-30 people on our boat...VERY comfortable and not crowded. Saw some huge double-decker boats from the ship's tour and they were very crowded...looked to be over 100 people on some of them.

When we got to Stingray City, it was fairly crowded with boats, so our guides took us to do snorkeling first...very close. You can see the stingray sandbar from the snorkeling area. During snorkeling, the guides get into the water with you and help you find cool underwater things. We saw a huge eel and a 5-foot nurse shark. Kids & I got close enough to touch the shark and took pics. I was surprised that I was not scared...it was awesome!

After about 45 minutes, the stingray sandbar had cleared out a good bit and the ship tours had gone, leaving us a very uncrowded experience! We all kissed a stingray, some of us fed them, and DD held one and got it to lay on her.

On the boat they have water and fruit punch, an on-board bathroom, plenty of snorkeling equipment & life vests, a fresh-water shower, music, very fun and "hands-on" guides...a SUPER experience....for only $35 USD. Since this IS a frequently canceled port, you may be interested to know that no down payment is required...you pay in full when you show up for the tour. It's about a 30 minute drive to the boat (each way), so that's an hour gone. It's another 20-25 minutes each way by boat to the snorkeling/stingrays so I would not recommend any combo snorkeling/stingray tour that goes for less than 3 hours...you will have little time actually interacting. Our time was just perfect.

We got back to the dock in time to pick up a few quick souvenirs. Although the tendering line looks long, keep checking it as it moves fast. My DH & DS thought they had plenty of time to pick up a few things and they were the last ones on the last tender boat. They had to jump on but that was totally their fault...not the tour operator. :rolleyes:

Archived