Dollar car rental-Kauai

ucsbgirl

I am looking to rent a car in Kauai, on our Pacific Princess cruise in November. I am looking at the Dollar site, and they quote 55$ for the airport location, and about $80 for the location that offers a cruise ship pier pickup. As far as I know, these two locations should be near each other, the address quotedd for the dollar location is the same. Has anyone rented with dollar at either location? What might account for the price difference? What experience did you have with dollar?

Thanks in advance

We just rented a Sebring convertible for our day on Kauai a few weeks ago. I believe the price was $55.00 (I reserved it through Orbitz) with a free shuttle from the ship to the airport where you picked up the car ... just a short drive from the Nawiliwili pier. We also rented the navigation option for about $11 and it was terrific. It's already pre-programmed with all of the attractions, beaches, restaurants, stores, etc. They give you a map and you just punch in the number and off you go ... no worry about following a map or looking up directions. If you're impatient waiting for the shuttle, just grab a cab and get a jump start on the day.

We were one of two ships in port the day we were there. Because the Tahitian Princess is a smaller ship (670 passengers) we were docked a bit further away than the Pride of Hawaii. So, I believe the shuttles came to us last. After waiting about 20 minutes or so I became impatient (I wanted to get up to Waimea Canyon before the fog/clouds set in) so we just grabbed a cab. The shuttles were running constanty to get you back to the ship at the end of the day. We were lucky! The clouds never set in and we had a beautiful day the entire time we were in port. But, if you're going to the canyon, drive all the way to the top as early as you can. You'll be tempted to stop at some of the "scenic views" on your way up. Don't do it! You'll get to the top before any weather sets in (if it's going to) and before the crowds arrive. You can stop at the "views' on your way back down.

Archived