What to do in Costa Maya?

Island Annie

This is a great port. You do not need to book an excursion with the ship at this port. We walked off enjoyed the port area a little booked a horseback riding tour for $40 pp it was great along the water and throgh town. Then we stay at the beach area in town till it was time to get a cab back.

Visit the port baord and you will find great info on this port there.

We took a taxi into Mahahual and spent the first part of our day there just lounging in the sand and shade across from a restaurant that served up food and drinks. Did a little shopping from the vendors whose prices were better than in Costa Maya and had a massage on the beach. Then we headed back to Costa Maya, did a little more shopping and had a couple drinks at one of the restaurants. Nice litte tourist area so you could stay there all day. Just watch out for the vendors outside of the actual stores in Costa Maya. Aggressive and overpriced, but they will come down on some things. ;)

Do NOT... And I mean DO NOT ... take the "Beach and Snorkel Adventure". The biggest dissapointment my family has ever seen. THe snorkeling looked better right off the ship near the pier. There was nothing all that good to look at on this "beach". No beach chairs, no good snorkeling sights, dirty water they "clean" the masks and tubes in, and the bathrooms were not lit and the toilets did not flush. And to kick it all off, the "excursion" was in some guy's backyard of his vacation home (he was the one giving bottles of water to people and taking a dollar for mexican oreos). Stay away from this one.

Happy cruising

BDD

This is one of my favorite ports. I've done the ruins tour booked right at the pier for $35 and also the taxi to the little town for drinks and shopping in town. I have not tried but heard about the website that offers a nice excursion for $25, sounds like a good deal.

DD and her DH were in Costa Maya in January and they loved it. They rented a golf cart and just drove all over the island, stopped whenever they wanted, and just had a great time. Maybe you could find someone to share the cost of the cart with you and do the same thing. Probably wouldn't want to take off on your own.

We took the Boat Blast Adventure and had a lot of fun. The snorkeling was a joke, but the water was nice anyway. Unfortunately, one poor guy had his boat poop out on him about 2/3rds of the way out, so they brought him another one. Back at the beach where the drinks were free, we found out that the vendors will give you some pretty good deals if you bring them some. I'm sure that's considered a no-no, but oh well.

This port was a great surprise for this seasoned cruiser. I loved the shopping area at the pier not for the shopping, but for the large pool and the beach. I was traveling with my child, so I took the dune buggy tour and she enjoyed Camp Carnival. As we took off in the buggies, I noticed that they rent golf carts right there at the shopping complex and that the beach which the shore stafff said was so far, was just 5 minutes away. We made a brief stop at that beach which was gorgeous. I was sad that I had signed up for the dune buggy tour as I would've loved to just stayed there. They had great little beach huts for bars with swings instead of bar stools and very cute bartenders.

When our tour got back, I had lunch at the shopping complex and hung out by the pool which was full, in a good way, of passengers from 3 different ships. Also grabbed a hammock for a late afternoon nap.

we are planning to go snorkeling with Costa Maya Cruise Excursions and then the beach break afterwards with them also.

Has anyone seen the ultra-light airplane flight? It will be my betterhalf's birthday and I'd love to surprise him with this trip Ultra-light flight

Thanks in advance for any info on the flight you might have.

We went to Costa Maya last December on the Inspiration and they offered an excursion to Uvero Beach. It was glorious. Clean water, good sun beds and cabanas and the best Coco Locos and Bahama mamas I have tasted anywhere. Isn't Uvero offered anymore? If it isn't it's a crying shame!

Archived