What beach would you recommend in Cozumel?

Island Annie

NOT Playa Sol!!! LOL!, grrr... we hated it! We paid total for 2 well over $100 for the day, and what we got was a rather boring beach, the snorkeling that was included was lame (swim out 50 feet and see some ruin replicas? no thanks... sure there were fish, about 200 little gray ugly things, LOL), the food on the buffet was horrible, the drinks were made with the cheapest alcohol possible unless you paid more for brand, and the pool was HOT (this was in July). For what we paid, I would NEVER go to this beach again.... I am not sure if maybe we just went on a bad day, but I could have had a better beach trip here at home!!!! Good luck on your decision. I have heard great things about Paradise Beach and may give that a try next!

I've been to Chankanaab twice, and LOVED it! Will go there on my upcoming cruise just to snorkel, and then on to Paradise Beach for the rest of the day.

Check out the Ports-of-Call board and scroll down to Cozumel. Tons of answers about all the beaches there.

We just got back two weeks ago, took our kids and went to Chankanaaub, we were impressed. A $10.00 cab ride, for about 10-15 minutes gets you there, I believe for all four of us to get in was under 40.00, they had a nice sandy beach (pleasant surprise was all the shady palapas for FREE), two nice and affordable restaurants (open air, with bar, and one had mariachi music). There were NO hucksters on the beach trying to sell you souveniers, they don't allow it there. They had great snorkelling, best we've ever been to, tons of fish and creatures. You rented snorkle gear right there, it was 5.00 for a mask and fins, and 5.00 if you wanted a lifejacket. They also have a botanical garden--very shady and pleasant to walk through-- and swimming with dolphins (We didn't do it, I think it was $100.00 for that). We spent 4 hours there, took a hot shower in the shower house, dressed in our street clothes, took the short cab ride back, and had plenty of time to shop in town. (Actually, husband and kids went back to the ship, and I shopped for a couple of hours, there are some great duty free shops right there at the pier). E mail me if you have any other questions, Martha

You can't go wrong with Paradise Beach, especially if you are just trying to kill a few hours. The beach/resort right beside it has a pool with swim up bar. The food/drink prices are OK, especially considering that is where they make their money.

John

.......if you are just trying to kill a few hours.
:D John, I can't help wondering about your "just trying to kill a few hours".

I'm always trying to find fun or relaxing ways to FILL the few precious hours I have on any island. "Just killing time" means being bored, wasting time, waiting for something better....but to each their own.:confused:

We've been to Chankanaab twice and love it. If you'r only going for a few hours, it may not be the best option. It is a great 1/2 day or more place. Here are some of the things they have:

Several dolphin interaction programs. Phenominal experience and worth the money if you can afford it. Especially the $125 Royal Swim.

Sea Lion interaction program

Scuba beach diving for both certified and non-certified divers. Very inexpensive in comparison to other places. 1/2 the price of Hawaii.

Good snorkeling. When we went in July, there was something about the water that caused a shimmering effect and made it hard to see clearly. I've been snorkeling and diving all over and never experienced this before.

A very small sandy beach area for small children. Generally though, the "Beach" is sand with a rocky shore and steps at various locations. Pretty much for snorkeling. If you go there to play on a typical beach/surf, you will be disappointed.

Nice shade structures and lounges (free with admission)

Restaurant and bar.

Replica of ruins and a botanical nature walk with a nice lagoon and wild igaunas.

I believe it is $10 per cab and entrance to the park is $12 per person. Snorkel gear is $6 for 4 hours (I think).

• Paradise Beach will administer a $5 'bracelet' charge beginning Oct. 1 for use of the toys. Beach chairs, admission, et al, will still be free.
  • Chankanaab has a $12 admission charge for adults, $6 for children, just to enter the park.
  • Dzul Ha has great -- but tricky to enter -- snorkeling, and services (food, equipment rental, pool), but the beach itself is more ground coral than sand.
  • Nachi Cocom expects you to spend at least $10 on food/beverages -- not hard to do -- but is far enough south (along with Playa Palancar) that cruise day-trippers generally don't find it. Both have great facilities and beach.

We went to Mr. Sancho's Beach just 5 minutes down the road from Chakanaab. It was a great beach, ice cold beers and tropical drinks, clean facilities, food and shopping.

We opted for this beach because we heard Chakanaab was really crowded as three or four ships were in port that day.

We have done both Cha. and Mr. Sanchos and loved them both. Trying to decide this trip between Nachi Cocom and Playa Mia. We want an all-inclusive. Try the ports of call board but keep in mind that right now it is pretty much an advertisement for PB. Check some of the older posts.

Archived