Photo Books

It sounds like these photobooks are getting more popular than scrapbooking....or the NEW scrapbooking.

The basic pages look very nice, showcasing the photos. Are there any embellishments that can be added to the shutterfly or Snapfish books? I was thinking of tags where you can journal a note. Or just embellishments in general to drag and drop here and there on the pages.

Just wondering.

Very interested in doing a book, I have received so many email ads to join several of the ones mentioned here, even started a few but never finished them !!! I just have so many photos of each thing I wanted to do, it was hard to chose just several to include, so I just gave up on them.

I scrapbook now, just started to do a few of cruises, new grandchildren, weddings...I have objects I like to include, I spose I could take photos of these items and add as a photo to these books.

Thanks for inspiration.

Shutterfly has a section where you can add your scrapbooking techniques to your book. Many people combine the two with photoshop or other program. Although I have made several photo books I have not given up scrapbooking. I still buy all my embellishments and special papers and scrapbook when I get the chance. If you can't decide what pictures to use, make several books. Or start with a 20 page book and then next time a bit more.

So far, I've made these two:

Here is one I made of my Europe cruise.

Travel Europe | 12x12 Memory Book

Link to photo book in the Shutterfly Gallery:

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/post/start.sfly?postId=/gallery/1/post/GMGDFg3bOW7Vy1YgMwrAiM

Here is a link to my shutterfly book. Hope you link. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/post/start.sfly?postId=/gallery/1/post/GMGDFg3bOW7Vy1YgQWYF4E

I know this is short notice, but I wanted to let you know that walgreens.com is offering 33% off all photo orders with the code "action" at check out. This includes prints, memory books, etc. The code expires at 11:59pm cst, Saturday, 4/19/08.

I have made one photo book with them and was very happy with the results. Finished my second last night, and with this coupon, my 52 page book went from $51.83 to $34.73!

My only caution would be that sometimes the text boxes get a little goofy. Be sure and proof closely that everything you typed in the box actually is in the box after you save. Otherwise, I find it pretty easy to use (I prefer to lay the pages out myself, as opposed to there "auto" layout).

So, this might be a chance for you to try Walgreen's to see how you like it (or just get some prints developed) with a great discount.

Thanks. Had some photos done there yesterday. We are happy with the finish of the photos too, although they are not Kodak quality. You can 'fix' your photos on the machine there, or like I did at home on my computer before bringing a CD in. If you use your memory card from the camera you willl have to 'fix' the photos there at the store. Haven't done a photo book yet, looking into several online places too.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my first family album photobook through Shutterfly and loved the process. I have about 6 albums (and 2 more to go) that I scrapbooked the old fashioned way, but after this one I prefer the online version, you can really play with it, and with the regular scrapbooking, you can seriously drown in all the stuff you collect, paper, stickers, letters, etc.

BTW, when I got my book the corners were damaged from shipping and handling (or Shutterfly needs to invest in stronger boxes), so I called them to let them know and they asked me to send them pictures of the squashed corners and they replaced the album for free. Now I have two 2005 family albums. :)

I saw that someone had asked about picaboo. One of my very good friends liked picaboo better than both snapfish and shutterfly. I think a lot of it depends on how picky you are about your layouts and how much flexibility you are allowed. Picaboo allowed her the flexibility she wanted...but not as much as the creative memories software (the one you pay for).

Her problem with snapfish and shutterfly was that you HAD to put the title or your journaling in certain places. Granted she is a techie and likes to have that kind of control. She also is a traditional scrapbooker so knows how she likes her layouts!

I have played a little bit with the creative memories software and it is fun!! You can download all kinds of other pages and embellishments to the program and can use any type of picture. You can put your comments anywhere on the page and change the color of anything too.

This is not to say that I will be getting away from traditional scrapping anytime soon :-) Too much money invested there!

Just wanted to clarify that I am NOT a CM consultant...just use a lot of their stuff!

The same friend that compared the books compared developing too. she sent the same pics to Sam's Club, snapfish and shutterfly. The best quality was from shutterfly.

I personally have used shutterfly for our christmas photos and LOVE them! I also love our local pro-ex for developing. They are a little more expensive (not by much) but worth it, I feel.

I make a photo book each time we come back from vacation, and find Kodak Gallery a really simple, yet creative way to do so (and I'm a former art instructor). Any on line photo site has books, so no matter which one you choose, I highly recommend you make an album. I once thought I'd get creative and make one from scratch using all the scrap booking supplies from all of the various retailers....well....those pictures are still in the box and the paper is still all over the house, and the glue dots are still on the roll....get it? The on line photo album is neat and clean, and much easier to deal with. A wonderful memory!:)

Yes, I do get it...mine are all started and not finished too, so I know the feeling.

The photobooks are very nice, sspecially the hard covered that look like family keepsakes. I plan on doing one too.

I am a new scrapbooker and don't have alot inivested in anything, like those machines that make shapes, etc. I like feel of making something with my hands and the creativity of making something from scratch, sort of like an accomplishment and something I made for the generations to come. But the photobooks are a very close second !!!!

Shutterfly has a community/gallery where you can view people's photo books. From weddings, travel, new babies and everything in between. Check it out I think you'll like it.

My previous post on this page has the links to my photo books if you are interested.

I saw one good websites for different images collection,

Here you can get images easily and quickly.

Please check http://xcavator.net/.

I'm curious as to why one would want to buy photos from a stock agency to include in their vacation memory book...

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Dave

I have just received the first of 2 books I had made with pictures from our cruise through the Panama. I wanted some way other than scrapbooking or photo albums to display our photos. I am so glad I discovered this company, the website is: www.photoinpress.ca. For those who have not heard of these books it is well worth looking into. You download a program that allows you to select, crop, organize, choose several layouts and add text. Then you send your completed layout through their website and they look after the rest. Your book is professionaly bound and the quality of the pages is that of a picture book you would buy in a book store. I received my finished book in less than 2 weeks. My amature photos look very impressive and professional. The book I just received are photos I took during our pre-cruise week in New York City, I converted them all to black and white. The second book is the cruise through the Panama and the port of call we visited. Can't wait now to see the results. The cost is based on how many pages and size you choose to make the book. In comparison to having to buy good quaility photo paper, ink and a book to display finished work, I think it is a great deal. These are memories I want to cherish for years to come and have found a great way to preserve them. The link above is one of many that are available, just do a search for photo books and enjoy creating a beautiful memory.:D

I always used Kodak Gallery, but just received my first book from mypublisher.com. What I love about this new book is that I was able to create a full-bleed photo book jacket for my album. Might want to check out this site too. I look at them all, and then use the one with the best options. Always open to suggestions, because the photos are such an integral part of remembering your (most wonderful) vacation. :)

Sabrina & Brett,

Your photobook is very nice, you took nice photos, and the backgrounds are interesting, love the anchors and wave pages. Nice job.:)

Thank you :)

They shipped it one day after I submitted the order, and now I'm impatiently waiting for it to come in the mail :D

Yes, I bet you are.

Was it very expensive, I see you have alot of photos and pages.

They don't go by how many photos you use. It's only by pages. 20 pages are included in the initial price for $29.99, and then each additional page (over 20) is $1.00. The day I made it, they were running a 20% off sale so the initial price was $23.99, and each additional page was .80 so it was a great deal. There was no shipping, so the grand total was about $55 for a book with 53 pages.

I am planning to order a digital photo book following my Alaskan cruise next month. I recently ordered a 'test' book thru MyPublisher and I'm thrilled with the look of the photos, but might prefer more options for the backgrounds on the pages. I also like the looks of the Picaboo website. I may try a second 'test' book from them so that I can compare the two. Picaboo looks like they have more background options for the pages, but MyPublisher seems to have more layout/design options, but Picaboo does have some attractive layouts that are very different from MyPublisher . . . :confused:

Does anyone have personal experience with both? Can you tell me the pros and cons of each? Is there something else that you prefer over both of these?

Thanks!

Deborah

I have had great luck with this site, www.blurb.com. Their software is easy to use. Great quality photos. Cheapest book, softcover with 20 pages is $12.95 and most expensive is hardcover with 400+ pages (At least this is what I remember) is about $79.00.

For my kids birthdays and vacations, I always do one of these books. They look great out on the coffee table.

Check it out.

Lori

I have had great luck with this site, www.blurb.com. Their software is easy to use. Great quality photos. Cheapest book, softcover with 20 pages is $12.95 and most expensive is hardcover with 400+ pages (At least this is what I remember) is about $79.00.

For my kids birthdays and vacations, I always do one of these books. They look great out on the coffee table.

Check it out.

Lori

Thanks Lori. I'll check it out!! :D

Archived