Where do you buy the wine to take on the cruise?

Happyladi

We are doing a cruisetour and leave next week. I understand that Princess allows you to take a bottle of wine aboard for each person(or each adult).

Do I pack the wine in my checked luggage and hope it doesn't break? Do I buy it near the cruise ship? Do I buy it in Anchorage?

I am just wondering how you handled it.

I usually bring a bottle of white and red from home packed in bubble wrap, between my clothing. As I most frequently sail out of San Juan, it's more convenient for me as the ship's duty free does not carry much of a selection of wines. I didn't even bother looking in town. Depending on your itinerary, you may find some decent wines in one of the ports of call. If you're sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, there are many places to buy wine before you board.

I'd buy it where it's most convenient. If I pack it in my suitcase, it's gotta be white wine in the event it should break.

If you're doing a southbound cruisetour and boarding the ship right from the train in Whittier, you won't have any where to buy wine. There didn't look to be anything around the pier in Whittier, and while the train stopped for a while in Anchorage, no one was allowed off the train.

I would wrap the bottle in bubble wrap and seal it in a zip-loc bag. Keep it packed among the clothes, and it should be fine.

BTW, make sure it goes in your "Meet Me on Board" bag and not the bag you'll be taking on the cruise tour. That bag will be on a truck every day and get bumped around.

Have a wonderful trip. Alaska was one of our favorites!

Archived