How late can I stay onboard?

hova

Our Dawn cruise returns to Miami at 6am. As our flight home isn't until the following day, we are in no rush to leave the ship. I am hoping that we can have a late breakfast and then disembark around 1030 am. Is this reasonable?

thanks for your answers....

hova

10:30 may be about the latest you could possibly remain, 9:30 is probably more reasonable.

Be aware that remaining on the ship as late as possible will not be any more relaxing than being at baggage claim at the airport. All the ship's services close, no staff is going to wait on you, there are constant announcements at a loud volume, and overall, you will probably want to leave and get away from it.

Something you may consider is booking a post-cruise tour with the ship. In Miami, the choices include Everglades, Seaquarium, and maybe an Art Deco tour. They drop you off at the airport afterwards.

If your hotel is anywhere near the route, they may be able to drop you off there, and it would be after check-in time, most likely. If not, you can get a cab to the hotel from the closest drop-off point.

When I have had a late flight in Miami, I have had excellent results with renting a car. I catch a shuttle to the airport, and pick up the car there (because that is where it must be returned for the flight.)

Once you have the car, you can make your own tour, and it is nice to have that freedom.

Our Dawn cruise returns to Miami at 6am. As our flight home isn't until the following day, we are in no rush to leave the ship. I am hoping that we can have a late breakfast and then disembark around 1030 am. Is this reasonable?

thanks for your answers....

hova

What I can't understand is why you want to stay on the ship until the last minute. :confused: If your flight isn't leaving until the day after the cruise, I would think that you would want to get to the hotel and check out the pool and other things to do. What gives??? ;)

What I can't understand is why you want to stay on the ship until the last minute. :confused: If your flight isn't leaving until the day after the cruise, I would think that you would want to get to the hotel and check out the pool and other things to do. What gives??? ;)

I plan on renting a car and driving to my hotel in Fort Lauderdale, but, can't check in until 3pm. But the reason for leaving the ship a little later is to just sleep in a bit, have a late breakfast, and leave the ship after the crowds have gone.

hova

But the reason for leaving the ship a little later is to just sleep in a bit, have a late breakfast, and leave the ship after the crowds have gone.

I'd be willing to bet you have not been on a cruise in a while. You won't be able to sleep in. They turn up the speakers in your room full blast starting about 7 AM.

You can hang out until the end if you want, but it just won't be any more pleasant than leaving. The cleaning staff will be knocking on your door - they want you out of your room ASAP so they can begin readying it for the next guest. You really need to be out of the room by 9 AM at the latest. From there, you can go up on deck but you will be carrying all your belongings, so that's not much fun.

We were on the Crown (NY) but we were called to get off the ship at 10:20. We had a wake up call at 8:00, got ready and had a nice breakfast at the sit down restaurant, went back to our cabin and relaxed until we were called to go. All we had was our carry ons. We put our luggage out the night before. We left our carry ons in the room while we were at breakfast. It was a nice leisurely way to finish up our trip. Our cabin steward was working in other rooms. He did not mind that we were in the cabin.

Make sure you check to see when they stop serving breakfast. On our ship I think it was 9 or 9:30.

Have a great stay in Ft. Lauderdale, too. Your room may be ready a bit earlier than 3. Enjoy the last hours of your cruise!

Touring the Area - Since you have the car, put your luggage in the trunk and drive around a bit. Maybe have lunch on the beach somewhere.

Hotel Check In - Officially 3pm, but rooms start coming available in late morning as they are cleaned. Heck, I have even checked into a room at 7am after taking a redeye flight.

Regarding rental car: If you can rent it "locally' vs. at the airport you will usually save some money over the airport lot. They have to charge LOTS of extra taxes.

And, as others have said, you will not want to stay onboard too long. Announcements and cleaning crew will see to that.

PS - It would be a small miracle that you would even have a chance to leave before 8 or 8:30 anyways. If you do it by color, it will be a bit later and could be 10am or so.

Regarding rental car: If you can rent it "locally' vs. at the airport you will usually save some money over the airport lot. They have to charge LOTS of extra taxes.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of using Avis or Dollar rent a car, how would I go about getting them to shuttle me to their office? Do I arrange in advance, call when I arrive, or will they have shuttle drivers just come to the port.

my previous cruises, I have always just cabbed it, so I am a little unsure as to the best way to do it.

thanks

hova

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of using Avis or Dollar rent a car, how would I go about getting them to shuttle me to their office? Do I arrange in advance, call when I arrive, or will they have shuttle drivers just come to the port.

my previous cruises, I have always just cabbed it, so I am a little unsure as to the best way to do it.

thanks

hova

Most of the shuttles will run to the airport. Avis has an office downtown. I have taken a taxi there for around $7

Archived