why do people always complain about the food?

amjdcm

I don't think their menu looks bad either, but a lot of people would complain about all that "fancy" stuff and ask where the ranch steak and baked potato were. ;)
Well, one reason they may prefer that is because that they can't get a good ranch steak and baked potato at home.

I know the reason I like the fancier restaurants is because while I am an excellent grill chef (in my modest opinion), I can't do sauces and the like worth beans so I really enjoy the Alsatian, provencal French, and other international fare when I go out. The talent, creativeness, patience, and eye for detail required to do that and do it well, is amazing IMO.

I know what you mean, Fam Cruiser. I think that's one reason I was underwhelmed with Flemings. My wife ordered a filet mignon, which was $30+ for just the steak, with no sides or anything, and I tasted it and thought, "I could do better than that." (And she agreed. ;))

I know what you mean, Fam Cruiser. I think that's one reason I was underwhelmed with Flemings. My wife ordered a filet mignon, which was $30+ for just the steak, with no sides or anything, and I tasted it and thought, "I could do better than that." (And she agreed. ;))

I feel exactly the same way about Ruth's Chris - overrated.

They're doing a promo here in the DC area this week $20.07 for lunch, $30.07 for dinner so my housemate and I went to Flemings for dinner the other evening. At that price for appetizer, entrée, and dessert I couldn't lose.

Problem is, I don't go on a high priced vacation to eat every day, ordinary food. And we don't cruise for the quantity of food, either.... but for the quality. The cruise experience, itself, is supposed to be anything but ordinary. I remember when the buffets in the WJ had wonderful food... fantastic, exotic fruit... the kind you expect to see in the Caribbean...all kinds of melons, fresh pineapple, mango's, papaya. The food in the WJ is basic cafeteria food, now. I don't even eat in the WJ, often, but if I did I'd expect to see something that lets me know that I am on an expensive vacation on a beautiful and elegant floating resort. Not something that looks like I'm in the cafeteria in a public building.

Bottom line? Sure it's great that I don't have to cook and that we are served so well....but the food isn't "free', it's part of the cruise price. Was the food ever "5 star"? No, but for the prices the cruise lines are getting the food SHOULD be of much higher quality.

Do we still cruise? Yes...but it isn't the same, not even close.

I always laugh when I see statements such as these. I'm going on a 10 nt RCI cruise next month, and since we opted for an inside cabin we're paying just about $70 per day. A whopping $70 for three (or more, if we want them) meals, transportation, entertainment, and more. I could easily spend more than that amount on a single meal if I were on a truly expensive vacation, so I try to keep things in perspective.

promotional materials) it's not surprising that the true "foodies"I find the food to be quite good overall. There is nothing more boring (foodwise) to me in the entire world than a steak or a chop or some other piece of meat with a starch on side and a vegetable on the other. Probably for others that's their ideal meal. Whereas in a traditional restaurant we would have at least a page or so of entree options to select from, on a cruise ship we have just a few due to the volumes which must be assembled in a short amount of time, and those few items must be appealing to all passengers, who are coming in with very different expectations on what constitutes a good meal. As RCCL markets themselves more and more as a family vacation option (just look at their promotional materials) it's not surprising that the true food connoisseurs are becoming less pleased with the dining options. But that, I suppose, is why multiple cruise lines exist - an option for everyone.

My nephew was an executive chef for a major hotel in Key West. He no longer is a chef largely because he says you can't make 5-star food from a box mix. I have a feeling a lot of what is served is partly from a box on board. It is cheaper and probably quicker. I still enjoy the food on a cruise. No it is not the best I have ever had but it is a lot closer the the best then the worst.

While there have been many posts asking which one is better, I have yet to see one comparing them with perhaps well known land based restauarants.

So, I assume (meaning I may well be wrong) that Chops is similar to a Mortons, Ruth's Chris, or Flemings but probably not as pretentious. FWIW I went to Flemings for the first time the other night and liked it so much better than Mortons and Ruth's Chris, the later being my least favorite chop house. Oh and BTW, all three of those restaurants are rated 3 stars so if, and that is a big if, my assumption is correct then the specialty restaurants fall in the 3 star category.

Finding a comparison for Portofino would probably be much more difficult as good Italian restaurants with which they would compare in any given area, are probably and hopefully not chains.

Fam Cruise, based on four visits to the RC specialty restaurants (two on Jewel and two on Empress), I would say two stars are plenty. Some of the food was quite tasty but the service was inexperienced and made mistakes all four dinners (including bringing the wrong wine twice - can't overlook that!). Quality of ingredients wasn't really up there with the restaurants you mentioned either. Still, they tried hard to please and we enjoyed our dinners. Food was cooked as ordered which is not always the case in the DR (meats tend to be overcooked). And I am no chocoholic but found the flourless chocolate cake to be quite delish :)

The "bottom line" is that there are a core of CC'ers and Americans in general who are never happy unless they are

"B***ING and MOANING about everything and anything.

Food is only one of 100's of subjects that they love to B & M about!

None of the excuses mentioned prior hold any water compared to this.

You just have people in this world who are NEVER SATISFIED!

UNREAL!

Fam Cruise, based on four visits to the RC specialty restaurants (two on Jewel and two on Empress), I would say two stars are plenty. Some of the food was quite tasty but the service was inexperienced and made mistakes all four dinners (including bringing the wrong wine twice - can't overlook that!). Quality of ingredients wasn't really up there with the restaurants you mentioned either. Still, they tried hard to please and we enjoyed our dinners. Food was cooked as ordered which is not always the case in the DR (meats tend to be overcooked). And I am no chocoholic but found the flourless chocolate cake to be quite delish :)
Thanks for the info. That sounds like it is line with my expectations. Do they still serve the flourless chocolate cake in the DR? If so, does anyone know what night on the Mariner eastern Carib?

FWIW, my favorite regular restaurant is a 2 star. They provide a wide selection of consistently good food, done to perfection.

Thanks for the info. That sounds like it is line with my expectations. Do they still serve the flourless chocolate cake in the DR? If so, does anyone know what night on the Mariner eastern Carib?

FWIW, my favorite regular restaurant is a 2 star. They provide a wide selection of consistently good food, done to perfection.

they now serve the flourless choc cake as part of a dessert combination and it is a little tiny portion (like a little round brownie almost) - the version in portofino was large enough to split and much better (the little ones were tasty but drier) - at least that is my recent experience (December, March, April)

Good post. I think there's another category, though.

4.) they just want to sound like they have a sophisticated palate.

After reading the whole thread, I think amybear912 had the best, well pointed and even handed post but I also think you hit the nail on the head with #4.

They're doing a promo here in the DC area this week $20.07 for lunch, $30.07 for dinner so my housemate and I went to Flemings for dinner the other evening. At that price for appetizer, entrée, and dessert I couldn't lose.

Yeah, my meal there might have tasted better at that price. :D

I love the EOS, I'm not really into food that much. I will find something I like to eat, but the food on the EOS is tasteless and overcooked. It has lost its appeal over the years. I will continue to sail with RCCL, but I do hope somewhere in the near future the food will get better.

I feel one can complain anytime they're spending their hard earned money it's their choice. I'm sure many pax complain about something on the ship that they do not like.

>>Maybe most of the complaints come from those who cruised "way back when". I'm sure the food was better, but the cost of cruising was also higher than it is today.<<

I partially agree with this statement and I'm ready for the flaming, but I truly believe those that complain are the ones that (a) NEVER get out much and expect every vacation to be their "Grand" experience or (b) have a big case of the "ugly American" syndrome I see every time I visit Mexico and witness how poorly some Americans treat the staff at many of the resorts in Mexico..I see the same thing on cruises - Ugly Americans treating crew members like they are second class citizens like they were the king of the world.

I realize it's not all cruisers/travellers, but I've just seen it so much and with the affordability of cruises these days, it's going to attract types that may fall into this category.

>>Maybe most of the complaints come from those who cruised "way back when". I'm sure the food was better, but the cost of cruising was also higher than it is today.<<

I partially agree with this statement and I'm ready for the flaming, but I truly believe those that complain are the ones that (a) NEVER get out much and expect every vacation to be their "Grand" experience or (b) have a big case of the "ugly American" syndrome I see every time I visit Mexico and witness how poorly some Americans treat the staff at many of the resorts in Mexico..I see the same thing on cruises - Ugly Americans treating crew members like they are second class citizens like they were the king of the world.

I realize it's not all cruisers/travellers, but I've just seen it so much and with the affordability of cruises these days, it's going to attract types that may fall into this category.

generalizations are just that....

oops did I say that:rolleyes:

I think there is a disconnect with some cruisers between their expectations and reality when it comes to food. I think that is the case with RCI also, and they are much to blame for the cruisers' disconnect. A number of people have pointed out that nowhere is RCI dining referred to as 5 star dining yet they insist on having formal nights, this resulting from perhaps RCI watching too many reruns of Titanic. Formal attire, or more precisely jacket and tie, are only required at some of the best 5 start restaurants I have had the pleasure of visiting.

If RCI requires formalwear or coat and tie, I missed the enforcement of such a standard - a frequent subject on CC boards. Among other things, during our GOS cruise, a table near ours featured a formal night group of biker-types, complete with leathers and do-rags...no tie. No one was denied service...nor should they have been, IMHO.

To me, formal nights are part of the fun, like a costume party. Let's not kid anyone, many guests (including me) are fantasizing the romance and glamor of times past while enjoying a special night, usually featuring such simple delicacies as lobster, which represents big time cuisine for many of the incogniscenti who may honestly think it rates five stars, or three Michelin macaroons. And that's just fine.

BTW: I know more than a few northern Wisconsin supper clubs that require a tie, even for Friday fish fry. They all have a rack from which ill-prepared gentlemen may select one to borrow for the evening.:)

We book multiple balcony cabins for our family of five, roundtrip airfare for all to San Juan, sea pass account at end of cruise (our dolphin excursion, alone, was $1000.00), and that's not even taking into consideration pre and post cruise accomodations.

In the Caribbean, you would have spent approx. $4000 alone for your rooms in a hotel with no amenities and no beach(let alone that awesome ocean view that you received by UPGRADING to your balcony suites. Then add all of your excursions for 5 people (especially the high dollar kind like dolphin adventures), food and drinks 3 times a day...you scored with your vacation budget of 10 grand.

We looked at an all-inclusive for our next vacation and for 4 of us in 1 room for only 4 nights, it was over $10,000 (that did not include the airfare either).:eek: I have cruised and done all-inclusives and I can tell you that even our "fair" cruise food was better than some of the best all-inclusive food. I do wish my alcohol on the ship was included. :(

Gina

It was a double thing. Firstly, the menu on our Carnival trip was more imaginative - more of a mix and blending of flavours and generally less bland, different types of food every night. Secondly the food itself and the presentaion was just so much better - tastier, subtler and beautifully presented. Every meal was a special occasion, compared to the RCCL dining room where every meal was a serviceable, acceptable but fairly boring selection.

Please you RCCL devotees don't flame me - I loved everything else about RCCL and am already planning my next trip with them but I LOVE dining out and the dining room just didn't deliver

And your comment about the escargot made me smile as it's also EXACTL like the Escargot we have in our favourite restaurant in France which we visit at least one a year!

No Flame from me. I have been on Carnival, Princess and RCI. In my opinion Carnival has the best deserts, ice cream and Pizza, Princess the best dining and buffet food, RCI coming in 3rd on food. Saying that, RCI has the more beautiful ships and I will be sailing on one in December. Any food I don't have to cook or clean up is still great to me.

My first cruise on RCL was on the Radiance of the Sea, did alot of research and even back then people were always complaining about the food on RCL. We were on a carnival ship prior to going on RCL and the menu and variety were great just that the food had no taste. We decided on the Radiance because we knew they had two specialty restaurants so if we did not enjoy the food in the main dining room we had two alternatives to try. Needless to say we did enjoy the dining room food, we also really liked Chops and Portofino as well. We have been on several RCL cruises and find the food in the main dining room to be fair to good and sometimes even excellent.

If you expect 5 star dining on a mass market cruise line dining room you are setting yourself up for a diappointment. The way we look at it is that you get a good meal, with great service in a beautiful dining room. I only recall one meal I did not care for but the waiter took it away and offered me several alternatives. We always keep our expectations in check when it comes to food on a cruiseline...so that we are pleasantly surprized..

If you want trully great food on a cruise ship try the Century on X and dine at Murano we had the tasting menu with wine pairing and that was as close to 5 star as you can get. What a meal with great wines to go along with each course. We would go on Century again just to dine at Murano.

In the Caribbean, you would have spent approx. $4000 alone for your rooms in a hotel with no amenities and no beach(let alone that awesome ocean view that you received by UPGRADING to your balcony suites. Then add all of your excursions for 5 people (especially the high dollar kind like dolphin adventures), food and drinks 3 times a day...you scored with your vacation budget of 10 grand.

We looked at an all-inclusive for our next vacation and for 4 of us in 1 room for only 4 nights, it was over $10,000 (that did not include the airfare either).:eek: I have cruised and done all-inclusives and I can tell you that even our "fair" cruise food was better than some of the best all-inclusive food. I do wish my alcohol on the ship was included. :(

Frankly, that was a ballpark and I'm still in denial. :D I really didn't want to work the actual numbers because it's depressing ;) Sooo, here goes:

Triple stateroom 3911.11

Double stateroom 2970.74

airfare for 5 2000.00

dolphin excursion 1000.00

trip insurance 311.00

sea pass 1700.00

meals,etc., pre-cruise

& in ports 500.00

2 hotel rooms, 2nts pre-cruise 1100.00

Total $13,392.85

I knew I'd be better off not crunching the numbers!! Those are just some of the expenses that come to mind at the moment.

I absolutely agree about a lot of AI food not being very good, the ships will usually win hands down. However, The Royal Hideaway in Playa would be an exception. The food and service there were incredible. AI's and cruising are just two totally different animals in my opinion.

So yes, for $13,000 and some change invested in vacation, it is a bit disappointing to receive luke warm meals and receive poor service when the 5 previous cruises were really fantastic.

While there have been many posts asking which one is better, I have yet to see one comparing them with perhaps well known land based restauarants.

So, I assume (meaning I may well be wrong) that Chops is similar to a Mortons, Ruth's Chris, or Flemings but probably not as pretentious. FWIW I went to Flemings for the first time the other night and liked it so much better than Mortons and Ruth's Chris, the later being my least favorite chop house. Oh and BTW, all three of those restaurants are rated 3 stars so if, and that is a big if, my assumption is correct then the specialty restaurants fall in the 3 star category.

Finding a comparison for Portofino would probably be much more difficult as good Italian restaurants with which they would compare in any given area, are probably and hopefully not chains.

We would definitely rate Chops as equivalent to Morton's , Ruths' Chris, etc... Pretty much the same atmosphere and style of service... These are not bad places either and in some cities, about the best you can get...

We live in Indy, which is considered a major chain restaurant test market... we seek out the independents and most of our travel is based on cuisine or certain restaurants that DH wants to try...

I have never been served a lukewarm meal or anything that was inedible...we can always find something to eat onboard that is satisfying... Consistently keeping buffet food hot is a real challenge, even in land-based restaurants... BUT... if you receive lukewarm food in the dining room, that sounds more like a service issue to me not a kitchen or cuisine issue.

DH worked for Ruths' a few years back for a brief amount of time... they have a unique grilling/serving process for their steaks... But NOTHING, absolutely nothing compares to what he does at home on his trusty Weber.:)

I agree with Mommabean that the food on Carnival was fabulous - and not because it was different but because it was truly VERY good

I always liked the Carnival food too because of the selection and the

healthiness of it.

People probably complain because their expectations of cruise food are high.

No complaints about RC food from me but I did complain with the NCL and the freestyle food.

Howdy...

I agree completely with what you said, it is a shame people spend so much time and energy to complain, and find something wrong... instead of just being thankful.

I am handicapped (been ina wheelchair since 1966), and we begin saving for our cruise January1... until it comes around we do not spend one penny we don't have to. Our "date night" usually consists of Golden Corral until cruise time.

Our first cruise was last December on the Rhapsody, and I had no idea what to expect. Both wife and I loved the meals in the dining room...

The first night I commented to the head waiter about having difficulty in getting coffee refiled....well he snapped His fingers, and the waiters jumped, I did not have to ask for coffee again the entire cruise... we were both very impressed.

Our 2nd cruise is coming up soon on the Freedom 9/23...we are so excited, have been told she is much easier to get around in a wheelchair than the older vision class ships (built before ADA).

Archived