Please help with aft cabin info on Viking Century Sun/Sky

cs91

I would appreciate any info re: aft cabins on the Viking Century Sky/Sun. Is there a problem with vibration, noise, smoke, etc? We are considering a Superior A cabin for the extra space and larger bathrm but are concerned about the possibility of other 'issues'. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have. Thank you.

We're taking the Viking Sun and had originally thought we'd do "A"category. After comparing the cabins sizes and locations, etc have chosen a 'c' category.

We went on a Viking Grand European cruise this past May and thought the cabins were very well laid out, lots of storage space, yes, bathrooms small, but who's in their cabin that much?

Got smart this trip and decided we'd save some money.

cs91, we were on the Sky in September of 2005. Our cabin was slightly forward of midships so I don't have any personal experience with the aft cabins. However, I can tell you that we heard no complaints from our fellow passengers about vibrations, noise or smoke.

The Century ships are much different than the ships doing river cruises in Europe. They are more like an ocean liner than a European river ship. I don't know if it has bow thrusters but that is not a problem seeing as how you only go through one set of locks and that is at the dam where we arrived in the late afternoon.

The Sky was a delightful vessel. Occasionally you may feel some movement when another ship's wake passes. Other than that it glides smoothly and quietly down the river with little or no feeling of motion.

I doubt that there is a bad cabin location on the ship.

Maybe someone with more recent experience will jump in and add their views.

Clarence:)

I would appreciate any info re: aft cabins on the Viking Century Sky/Sun. Is there a problem with vibration, noise, smoke, etc? We are considering a Superior A cabin for the extra space and larger bathrm but are concerned about the possibility of other 'issues'. I'd appreciate any feedback you may have. Thank you.

I agree with Clarence. Rooms are all nearly identical. The higher elevation cabins are only an advantage if you want quick access to the meeting/presentation area on the 3rd level. Our 2nd level cabin was less expensive and conveniently located on the same level as the dining room, which served those seated closest to the entrance first.

Fumes from your boat will be the least of your concern on the Yangtze. Pollution along the river was often enough to keep us from sitting on the very nice balcony (two chairs) on the VC Sun. Fortunately the boat has an excellent filtration system (at least for our trip in April) and inside air was very nice.

WIT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi- In my opinion- you should try to be forward of midships. We were near the bow and vibration was not an issue- We sat at the aft most table on the Port side for several meals and the the deck vibrated constantly.

All cabins are great. We were on deck 3 and had a wonderful view and great cabin.

The Bear

Archived