Carnival Freedom cruisers... Your top 5 tips.....

gunch

I am taking this cruise this fall and would like to know your top 5 things you wish you knew before you went on the cruise. Ship or port tips, either one would be great!

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Gunther

Expect to spend A LOT more money than you budgeted. Although we thoroughly researched everything, I was still bowled over at how expensive everything was in the different ports/Rome!!!!!! A can of Coke was minimum $2.50E in a restaurant (we even paid $5.00E once!). You will also walk more than you think :-). Take a good pair of walking shoes! My feet hurt each night.

Debbie

I second the good walking shoes! And if you're going to Pompeii stop at the gift shop at the entrance and purchase your own walking guide. All of the significant structures and sites are numbered and it's much more enjoyable to wander on your own and not with a big pack of people.

In Venice don't hesitate to buy a 2 day Vaperetto pass (water bus, big yellow kiosks), they are a great way to sight see I would get on one and just go on a round trip the 1st time. It will give you a great way to see all of the places along the Canal and they also go to Murano and Burano, so you don't need a special excursion for those things. Then make notes of stops that you want to go back to and hop on and off as you want.

Venice was absolutely my favorite port, but even though we were there for several days (we flew in early and it was the maiden voyage) it was still very nerve racking to wander the very narrow passageways. Try to get a map of Venice before you go, but be reassured that you can't wander too far without running into the Grand Canal and then coming across a water taxi stand.

Altho you haven't said which trip, Greece or Med, we cruised last year on the Liberty in October and was throughly pleased. Just remember you are in other countries and things are extremely different. You find out fast it isn't America. My tips I hope will help, Like Debbie said take more money or spend less. Our dollar is less than the eruo. Be prepared to dicker with shops, it can be done. Smaller shops are much better, Florence we did a lot of shopping and really got some good deals. Not in gold tho as they weigh it and sell by the weight. We found it higher. Also in Messina (Taromina)very good cermics and linen bargins. Beware of street vendors. Could be fined if caught buying from them everywhere. They sell off fakes. Use your credit card everywhere and keep all money and cards with you at all times. Get a holder that goes about the neck tucked in your shirt or pant.

Bring and extra bag that folds inside your suitcase to use to go back home so you can pack your souvenirs. The food is so rich as everything is freshly made there it fills you up and last longer so you aren't always hungry. No preservatives.

The water is fine to drink do not order bottled water it cost, ask for regular at you table, NO GAS, that's carbanated. The pizza are very good and very filling and so is the geleto.

Yes you will definitely walk about 5 or more miles a day. Take your time and enjoy the sights.Their blocks are 3-4 of ours. Try to speak a little of the language of the country you are in even if it is hello, goodbye, thank you, how to get to, how much. They really appreciate the gesture of the respect you are giving them as a visitor. We found everyone very friendly and willing to help. You can pick up a book at the local library. Take an unbrella in case of rain or a rain jacket. This is a very long and port intense trip so take advantage of the sea days to rest. You'll need it. If you are staying in Rome you can pretty much see everything on your own. I wrote a reveiw from our trip please read it I thing I post a couple of tours we took privately and booked beofre we left. Very inexpensive and very informative. The vatican tour was close to 7 hours and we saw everything. We did a walking night tour and saw places you normally wouldn't go. I do hope you enjoy yourselves as much as we did. We hope to one day go back and take our grandson. But this time to Greece or Egypt.

Happy Sailing!

I am taking the Western European cruise. Also, if anyone has good tips for the best places to purchase souvenirs in Venice, Dubrovnik, Naples, Barcelona, and the Cannes area. My wife would really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

i 2ND THE bring extra money everything is so expensive. If you search though you can get a bottle of water for 1 eur. Try to relax on the sea days because you will need it with all the ports and all the walking. Dont miss the dinners in the dining room they were very good with great alternate choices too. Go to the shows and check them out the ticket to Ride show was the best and they fill up fast get your seats. There is alot more I have to do my review still we just got back a week ago. Enjoy every second even though its 12 nights it flys by ..enjoy....................

The port day in Civitacecchia on our Eastern Med cruise in July was very hard to plan for.

My work friend who is Italian told me as a city it is a non event but as we were staying in Rome for 3 days after the cruise I did not want to go into Rome on that day also.

However it is a Monday and in Italy just about every tourist site seems to close on a Monday, at least those in Umbria do. We hired a car for the day and had a fantastic time ( the last time I had to drive a manual gearbox with the shift lever on my right was in open wheel racing cars in the 1960s so just that part alone was a real challenge). If you cannot face Italian traffic then book a private tour, there are plenty on the internet.

David

Go to carnival member reviews, open carnival liberty, we sailed on the 10/06 trip, scroll down you'll see it.http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=22761http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=members&MemberName=klv2cruz I hope this works,

As for the question about shopping, Naples, we were in Sorrento, there are store on a main strip below where you may get dropped off.

Taromina, just walk about an brouse before you buy to get the best deals, even on the side streets.

Dubrovnik, anywhere not much to really purchase there.

Rome we shopped everywhere but stay away from the Vatican area you can do much better on the streets away from it. We bought quite a bit here on our final day, to take home.

Florence we shopped a lot of side streets. Keep watch of where you are going so you won't get lost or turned around. Remember the sun never changes no matter where you are in the world.

Barcelona Las Ramblas

France, right around the port area I found the best bargins. If on a tour shop around and definitely bargin everywhere.

We bought bottles of wine and brought it home, and back on the ship, altho I am not much of a wine drinker I must say it was very good. I did ask for a zinfindel and they told me it wasn't America, I laughed. THere are so many kinds.

I also do not suggest you go in the summer as it is extremely crowed and hot. We found October to be very pleasant. Should anyone have questions give me a holler I'll be happy to answer. We loved our Cabin also especially for the price.

Watch airfare it is very high at this time. So book cruise now and air later you may get a deal even with the ship. I also would book your hotel rooms separate for any extra nights much cheaper and transportation is everywhere.

Have fun.

Take a power strip. Your cabin will have only 1 electrical outlet.

Get either a neck or waist band money/credit card holder to keep your valuables safe from pick pockets. I do not intend to imply that Europe is unsafe.............it's NOT. However, pick pockets do work the tourist sites as well as the subways. I've been to Europe many times without any problem whatsoever. However, if you do a search on the Mediterrenean boards, others have not been so fortunate. Just be proactive about protecting your money/credit cards & you'll be fine.

On a lighter note............don't expect your clothes to fit when you get home. You'll be exposed to so much good food, both on the ship & off that you'll be lucky if you don't gain 5-10 lbs.

Go to the Carnival roll call board and look for ideas on the June 6th cruise. we took that one and many of us made plans through that. we made lots of new friends that way. eat the chocolate melting cake at dinner...try the sandwich bar ( deli) and fish and chips on the ship. The back pool is quieter. Taromina has a grocery on the corner that has inexpensive wines and local food. Great port. get a pak safe purse or sack . They lock and no one can cut the strap. Bring post it notes for your door and a highlighter for the daily capers. See John's shows. He is a riot. The wine is cheap in the ports but the beer is expensive. Lunch can run up-wards of $30.00 for one personal pizza and two beers. Pack a soft cooler and make a sandwich off the breakfast bar or from room service to take with you if you need to save money in port. Thru eternity tours is a good one in Rome. Sign up for Kayak daily fare alert for flights to Rome.....Happy sailing, hope this helps

Returned from the Freedom in late July. Had a great time, but I would echo the tips already given........

Take ALOT of water on shore excursions,

DO YOUR HOMEWORK (do a search here...depending upon the size of your party, booking your own tours may be cheaper, and alot more personal. (one of the best tours we took was in Istanbul (Ekol Travel).

Have a back-up source for money. If you read this site, you will get much advice on whether to use debit or credit cards. Whatever you bring...have a 2nd option in case your card gets denied (I opened a Paypal debit card just for the trip.

Good walking shoes, a hat and maybe umbrella

Take extra camera batteries and a LARGE smart card.. you will be taking alot of pictures.

Buy postcards...they are cheap (10-20 for 1E) and you will have pictures of anything you missed.

One last tip.......use the hand wipes before entering the buffet line. The ship is big and all it takes is a few germs to ruin the trip you planned so long for.

Hope this helps......have a great time!

Archived