Cook Islands

2manyplaces

We are considering the PG cruise at the end of Sep. 2008 that goes to the Cooks. I have read on the Pacific Islands board that Raratonga is sometimes missed due to inability to tender. What about Aitutaki? Can some of you relate your PG experiences? Thanks in advance!

We are leaving on a cruise on the PG Sept. 1st that has the ports of Aitutaki and Rarotongo. I will let you know when we return if we were able to get there or not. If you have read any of Princess- of-Quite-a-Lot posts you will see that her recent cruise did Rarotonga and she said the water was like glass. I will do a trip report when we return because everyone has been so helpful on these boards and I would like to repay a little bit with my humble opinions.

Micked10

We were on the Sept 2006 cruise and could not tender into Rarotonga but we were able to do so at Aitutaki. The weather was not our friend for that part of the cruise so we were not able to visit our target destination of Tubuai. HOWEVER, the ever-resourceful PG captain decided to get us back to sunshine and gave us an entire day on Raiatea and an over-night anchorage on Bora in exchange. Raiatea is a beautiful island!

We've booked for next year's Nov 22 sail as the Australs are a must-do for us. We may miss the whales but then again, maybe not. Regardless, we will be on the best ship in the SoPac for 2 weeks and the captain will find us a place to enjoy ourselves. Never can predict what Mother Nature has in store.......

We are considering the PG cruise at the end of Sep. 2008 that goes to the Cooks. I have read on the Pacific Islands board that Raratonga is sometimes missed due to inability to tender. What about Aitutaki? Can some of you relate your PG experiences? Thanks in advance!

We made both stops. I have to say I really liked the Cook Istands. I would rather have stayed their than moving on to Tonga. YMMV.

I did my first snorkel on Aitutaki and aside from fins that didn't fit, not the PG's fault I have very narrow heels and they couldn't size down because it would cramp my toes, it was wonderful. the water was very clear and while there were rocks and coral nothing to be scared of running into.

On Rarotonga we rented a car and drove around the island, stopping here and there and then going snorkeling across from "Fruits of Rarotonga."

Both islands were places my husband and I could see coming back to; very easy going. We met a nice woman who married a Cook Islander but was from the States.

We also tendered back with a dance troupe from there who performed on the PG. Both Bill and I danced with them. (But we really couldn't keep up.)

It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Caroline

Archived