Anyone do an upgrade at the pier?

I've never heard of them being offered at the pier by NCL. I've read numerous threads where the consensus advice is to call NCL sometime after final payment is due for your sailing. At that point, the cruiseline knows with far more certainty which cabins are still open and how much leeway they have for upgrades, both complimentary and paid for. NCL's reassignment desk handles paid-for upgrades and will quote you prices for upgrades. From what I've read, the prices are also negotiable. You can turn down an offer and take a chance that if you call back a few days later, they'll be willing to accept less for the same upgrade. Of course, waiting also means you may lose out on the chance for an upgrade if someone else takes the deal.

I have also noticed on the two NCL cruises we took last year that they both had signs at the reception desk stating that the ship was full and no upgrades were available. I thought this indicated that there might be some cruises when you could upgrade after boarding.

Archived