quebec questions

Hi!

We are going to be coming to quebec on Sept 27 and staying over one night prior to sailing on a 10 day Princess cruise. We were thinking of staying in the Hotel Dominion 1912. Is this located anywhere near the pier? How much are transfers from the hotel to pier? Can you recommend site seeing places and dining spots?

We will arrive at 11am so we will have most of the day.

Thanks!

If this is not a good hotel can you recommend a different one. The one through the cruise line is all sold out.

Thanks!

Julie

I've been researching this for my Grand Princess cruise in October. The trip from the airport should take approx. 25 min. and the cab fare should be approx. $30.00

A limousine is around $65.00.

I suggest you check out www.fodors.com and another called Bonjour Quebec.

We like the Hotel du Pierre (or maybe it's Chateau?) at 17 rue St Genevieve which is across the park from Frontenac.. great location near funicular, Dufferin Terrace.. Cab from airport to town is easist way.. about a 20 minute trip.. small airport so not a lot of congestion. The cab from hotel to pier will be cheap.. just down in lower town. The owners of the Pierre are wonderful.. we have been staying there since the '80s and it's soo charming, well priced and they are very helpful. We will stay here in '08 before our Sea Princess cruise.

For a great dinner or lunch with Quebecois food try Anciens Canadien which isn't far from the Pierre.. there are so many things to see in the upper town .. get a good guidebook.. a good overview is the carriage ride.. lots of charming stores and restaurants in the lower town. For a wonderful view of the Chateau Frontenac and city take the ferry across the river, take a few pics on the way and then come right back :)

The carriages are called caleche around here. Even in English. Okay, I admit it, we have a weird English around here. We close and open lights, we talk about government subventions and a location isn't a place, it's a rental.

The hotel is VERY close to the pier in Lower Quebec. Here is a map to it's location. If you are hardy you could walk to the port, but considering luggage you will likely want the taxi. It won't be very much, but overtip the taxi driver because it's such a small run.

Hi!

We are going to be coming to quebec on Sept 27 and staying over one night prior to sailing on a 10 day Princess cruise. We were thinking of staying in the Hotel Dominion 1912. Is this located anywhere near the pier? How much are transfers from the hotel to pier? Can you recommend site seeing places and dining spots?

We will arrive at 11am so we will have most of the day.

Thanks!

If this is not a good hotel can you recommend a different one. The one through the cruise line is all sold out.

Thanks!

Julie

This is an excellent choice, for not only is the hotel one of the best in the area, it's an easy walk to the pier. Seriously, I think they would probably chuckle if you tried to call a cab. I checked the map provided by one of the other posters, and it's really much closer than it seems on the map. About 2 minutes walked briskly, 5 if you doddle or have a lot of traffic on Dalhousie preventing you from crossing for a while (there's a street light close, though, so you shouldn't have that hard a time). If you have a lot of luggage, I suggest you borrow a cart from the hotel and wheel it over, and then just return it, or make 2 trips if you have to (yes, it's really that close!)

As for things to do, it's a really nice area to just walk around - lots of antiques shops, art galleries & restaurants. 2 of the best restaurants in Québec - L'Initiale (my personal fav) and the Laurie Raphaël - are a short walk from the Dominion, as is another fav of mine, L'Échaudé. There's also the Musée de la civilisation (Museum of Civilization) just a block away, always interesting. The funicular is good for getting you up to Upper Town, although you can walk it (either on very steep steps or a very steep, winding road!) It's definitely worth the effort, as it also has many interesting things to see and do.

The airport is a ways from the airport (about 20-30 min. drive), not sure what bus service if any is provided so my suggestion is to take a taxi or purchase a Princess transfer if available.

Archived