Hurricane Dean set to form in the atlantic

Jared19

If the track holds toward PR and Hispaniola then I would guess you will see Bermuda... but St. Maarten seems unlikely to me. Perhaps an extended stay in Bermuda.

I am watching the Carnival and RCCL web sites to see who blinks first and starts posting itinerary changes. I would think Destiny is altering its plan after today, it's in Dominica and needs to get out of the way quick.

Also other is a tropical disturbance that forecasters are watching over the Yucatan... thinking it could be a TD soon. It would be nasty for cruising to have a system in both the east and west Caribbean at the same time!

If the track holds toward PR and Hispaniola then I would guess you will see Bermuda... but St. Maarten seems unlikely to me. Perhaps an extended stay in Bermuda.

I am watching the Carnival and RCCL web sites to see who blinks first and starts posting itinerary changes. I would think Destiny is altering its plan after today, it's in Dominica and needs to get out of the way quick.

Also other is a tropical disturbance that forecasters are watching over the Yucatan... thinking it could be a TD soon. It would be nasty for cruising to have a system in both the east and west Caribbean at the same time!

I will be on the NCL Spirit. We will be in Bermuda on Monday ,Wednesday Tortola and Thursday in St Thomas. Depending on the path we may not be able to dock. What is the probablity that they will send us North? I am dreading that!

We leave sunday on the The Crown Princess...headed for Grand Turk... we may or may not make it...Im hoping we do our trip in reverse and hit Bermuda first...

Right now it looks like Dean MAY move across Puerto Rico Sunday. If Crown leaves NY Sunday, the storm may be long gone from the Eastern Caribbean by the time you reach Grand Turk on Wednesday.

I will be on the NCL Spirit. We will be in Bermuda on Monday ,Wednesday Tortola and Thursday in St Thomas. Depending on the path we may not be able to dock. What is the probablity that they will send us North? I am dreading that!

I think you will be ok with that itinerary.

Wimp...:) C'mon...we'll be fine...Nova Scotia is lovely this time of year...if we're lucky we'll get to see Boston...woohooo

We should be fine. It hits the E. Caribbean on Saturday when we leave NY. We're in Bermuda until Monday night & we don't get down to the Caribbean until Wednesday morning. Aside from a few wind gusts/waves, we'll be fine...nothing a martini tasting can't fix...

Mike

A hope that I am not flying from Nova Scotia to Jacksonville for my Monday cruise to go back to Nova Scotia again. I was at the Halifax waterfront today to see the Carnival Victory pull in. I can't wait Hurricane or not as long as I am on the ship.

Dave

Hi we are heading out to Ft Louderdale this friday .Staying 3 nights there before we head out on the the first of our back to back cruise on the Majesty of the sea a 4 day cruise then the next week on the Liberty of the seas doing the W Caribbean .I am a little worryed about the Majesty cruise it go"s to CoCo Cay Nassau and KEY WEST !!! I'm just hopping we don"t do 4 days at sea !!! Was on the Carinval Miracle august 25th cruise 05 .We left from Tampa then Katrina happened and they couldn't get us back to Tampa .So they took the ship to Ft Louderdale and bus us back to Tampa .It was a great cruise weather wise just the last day at sea was Katrina hit !!You couldn't go out on deck !!

Mr Veendam

I am watching the Carnival and RCCL web sites to see who blinks first and starts posting itinerary changes.

Where do you look for that? Does anyone know if Princess posts changes or otherwise notifies you before you leave?

Leaving Sunday for the Western Caribbean; seems like we could see some changes to our itinerary if this thing holds course.

We leave sunday on the The Crown Princess...headed for Grand Turk... we may or may not make it...Im hoping we do our trip in reverse and hit Bermuda first...

143523W_sm.gif

Craig, I spoke with someone yesterday who did this same cruise last year and said they hit Bermuda first. I didn't think to ask if they changed due to the weather or if it was planned that way.

We are leaving Sunday from Brooklyn as well. I'm thinking (hoping) the storm will be gone by the time we get to Grand Turk on Wednesday but it's way to early to tell. I'm not too concerned. Plenty of time for "spirits" before hand! :D

Dominic

I watched the 9:50 P (est) Weather Channel Hurricane Update. Steve Lyons said that Dean does not look all that impressive on the radar, but the wind information shows a very well formed circulation with winds of about 45 mph. He feels it will strengthen and is headed for the Antilles. Probably about 3 days out. The projected path extends through Hispaniola, Puerto Rico and Cuba. It that holds, it could end up in the Gulf. This one bears watching.

Doc

Wimp...:) C'mon...we'll be fine...Nova Scotia is lovely this time of year...if we're lucky we'll get to see Boston...woohooo

We should be fine. It hits the E. Caribbean on Saturday when we leave NY. We're in Bermuda until Monday night & we don't get down to the Caribbean until Wednesday morning. Aside from a few wind gusts/waves, we'll be fine...nothing a martini tasting can't fix...

Mike

WIMP- you bet!

I have been on too many cruises to know what a storm is like. I am worried more about my kids. I would hate to go to Bermuda and not see land for the rest of the trip or WORSE go to Nova Scotia ( sorry to Nova Scotia lovers - but not warm enough for me!). As my husband said don't cruise during hurricane season- I know - I know!

Only time will tell. It is going to be a loooooong 4 days.

I watched the 9:50 P (est) Weather Channel Hurricane Update. Steve Lyons said that Dean does not look all that impressive on the radar, but the wind information shows a very well formed circulation with winds of about 45 mph. He feels it will strengthen and is headed for the Antilles. Probably about 3 days out. The projected path extends through Hispaniola, Puerto Rico and Cuba. It that holds, it could end up in the Gulf. This one bears watching.

Doc

I agree this is one to watch. It it makes it to the Gulf, it would welcome Dean with open arms, the water is plenty warm down here! Local weather is already putting the word out to make sure we are stocked up on hurricane supplies. :eek:

Craig, I spoke with someone yesterday who did this same cruise last year and said they hit Bermuda first. I didn't think to ask if they changed due to the weather or if it was planned that way.

We are leaving Sunday from Brooklyn as well. I'm thinking (hoping) the storm will be gone by the time we get to Grand Turk on Wednesday but it's way to early to tell. I'm not too concerned. Plenty of time for "spirits" before hand! :D

Dominic

This is the 11PM update from NHC...looks better for us and bad for the poor slobs in the way of this thing...hopefully it fizzles out...looks like Grand Turk will be fine by the time we get there on Wed....See you on board....

025024W_sm.gif

Where do you look for that? Does anyone know if Princess posts changes or otherwise notifies you before you leave?

Leaving Sunday for the Western Caribbean; seems like we could see some changes to our itinerary if this thing holds course.

You look right on the main page for a "special tropical weather statement" or something like that, which will go to a page of schedule changes and instructions for people whose cruises are departing that may be affected.

Daldog, there's a very good chance we could see a change. My guess is IF there is a change we could see the eastern itinerary, possibly in reverse order.

hey Daldog and Nrthnlights...will be with you and hope for the best! I wouldnt mind visiting Grand Turk..Id rather have an itinerary change and be in nicer weather and safe then in western with rain and wind. Lets just hope for the best..when do you think we will find out? The day we sail or once we are at sea?

We are off tomorrow on our cruises .The Majesty on Monday .Then the Liberty next Sat. !!The Liberty will mark our 69th cruise .So it really dosn't matter what ports we end up at .Haveing ben to just about every Caribbean Island meny times over !! just hope for good weather a smooth sailing !!

Mr Veendam

I noticed on one of the cruise ship tracking sites that the Destiny is in St. Lucia tonight. Dean is predicted to hit there tomorrow morning. I was under the impression that the cruise lines did their best to stay out of the path of a hurricane, even a lower ranked storm. What's up? signquestion3xd.gif

hey Daldog and Nrthnlights...will be with you and hope for the best! I wouldnt mind visiting Grand Turk..Id rather have an itinerary change and be in nicer weather and safe then in western with rain and wind. Lets just hope for the best..when do you think we will find out? The day we sail or once we are at sea?

In 2005 when we last sailed the CB, we heard nothing until after leaving Ft Lauderdale. The captain then decided to do the cruise (eastern carib.) in reverse order due to hurricane Rita. After a day in Princess Cays, and a day to watch the storm, he changed it to a western caribbean cruise. We still had a blast, and that cruise was a big part of the reason we booked the western this time. We may not know for sure until a day after we set sail. I do think the eastern caribbean could be in the cards.

Archived