Carnival Ecstasy - Galveston

majacloud57

Hello, this is my first cruise and I have not traveled besides flying to and from my family's homes with my disability before, so am just a little nervous. I would like to ask some advice - just to make sure I have thought of everything, so sorry if this is long-winded.

I have severe osteoarthritis in both hips and walk with a cane. Each movement is painful so I can't stand or walk for long. I have trouble getting up and down so do need assist rails in the bathroom.

I have rented a scooter from carevacations for my cruise - we are sailing on 9/22/07 and were able to get a HC cabin. I made sure to check that the scooter will fit throught the door. I can step over the shower lip but am worried about a shower chair. I requested one, but the rep told me that there was a bench. Since losing my mobility, I have gained a lot of weight, so I am worried about fitting on the bench. Does anyone know if this bench would be adequate or if I should also rent a shower chair?

After reading another post from a member whose DH had some pain on going up the ramp at Galveston on embarkation, I called the special needs group and requested wheelchair assistance at embarkation. (I wouldn't want to start my cruise off in pain and I don't do well on inclines.) They didn't seem to know if there was an elevator up to the entrance walkway, so did set up the wheelchair assist for me.

Has anyone taken this cruise from Galveston on the Ecstasy and can you let me know what to expect at embarkation? We are staying at a hotel the night before, so will have free cruise parking and will take a taxi to the terminal. I believe with the wheelchair assistance they will expedite our boarding - I was worried about having to stand in line for a long time.

The other thing I am worried about is the port at Cozumel. At Progreso, I know they have buses that take you into town and we are going to take a taxi to Merida from there. But at Cozumel, I am worried about the length of the pier and walking. I am not sure that I want to take the scooter ashore as I may have a taxi take me on a tour of the island so don't want to have to transport the scooter. If I don't do that, I am happy just going to some of the stores near the pier.

I have already learned so much from this forum. Any information you have for me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!:D

Hello, this is my first cruise and I have not traveled besides flying to and from my family's homes with my disability before, so am just a little nervous. I would like to ask some advice - just to make sure I have thought of everything, so sorry if this is long-winded.

I have severe osteoarthritis in both hips and walk with a cane. Each movement is painful so I can't stand or walk for long. I have trouble getting up and down so do need assist rails in the bathroom.

I have rented a scooter from carevacations for my cruise - we are sailing on 9/22/07 and were able to get a HC cabin. I made sure to check that the scooter will fit throught the door. I can step over the shower lip but am worried about a shower chair. I requested one, but the rep told me that there was a bench. Since losing my mobility, I have gained a lot of weight, so I am worried about fitting on the bench. Does anyone know if this bench would be adequate or if I should also rent a shower chair?

After reading another post from a member whose DH had some pain on going up the ramp at Galveston on embarkation, I called the special needs group and requested wheelchair assistance at embarkation. (I wouldn't want to start my cruise off in pain and I don't do well on inclines.) They didn't seem to know if there was an elevator up to the entrance walkway, so did set up the wheelchair assist for me.

Has anyone taken this cruise from Galveston on the Ecstasy and can you let me know what to expect at embarkation? We are staying at a hotel the night before, so will have free cruise parking and will take a taxi to the terminal. I believe with the wheelchair assistance they will expedite our boarding - I was worried about having to stand in line for a long time.

The other thing I am worried about is the port at Cozumel. At Progreso, I know they have buses that take you into town and we are going to take a taxi to Merida from there. But at Cozumel, I am worried about the length of the pier and walking. I am not sure that I want to take the scooter ashore as I may have a taxi take me on a tour of the island so don't want to have to transport the scooter. If I don't do that, I am happy just going to some of the stores near the pier.

I have already learned so much from this forum. Any information you have for me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!:D

We have done the Ecstasy several times and my DH is in a wheelchair. When you get to the pier ask the porter to get you a wheelchair, hopefully you have someone that can push you, if not ask for help. You will be able to go to the handicap area of the ticket counter to check in and then go to your cabin. It is easy to get around the ship. Be sure to ask for help when needed and check out the theater for handicap seating, there is a way to get in.

In Cozumel they have a handicap taxi van with a lift, ask for it at the taxi stand, you can get your tour with them, if you want to spend time at a location just ask them to pick you up at a certain time. We enjoy going to Chankanaab Park, very easy to get around with a scooter or wheelchair. You can see the indian ruins, the dophin show, the sea lion show there are shops and a really nice beach and a wonderful restaurant/bar. When you are ready to leave Chankanaab just ask for the lift van and they will radio for it. We have never waited more than twenty minutes. Take your scooter and enjoy your visit without pain.

The bathroom in your cabin has a fold down bench, I think it will work fine for you. If you decide you want a stool ask your room stewart.

Enjoy your trip, we are going on the Ecstasy again in December.

Gramsk,

Thanks so much for your reply. I did think of going to Chankanaab, but didn't think I would be able to take the scooter. Thanks for the info about the cab w/ the lift. The scooter I am renting is one of the heavy duty ones. Would the lift be able to accommodate this larger scooter?

Thanks, Beth

Archived