cell phones in Alaska

SPKR

I am going on the Summit Seward to Vancouver September 7 sailing, and I just learned today that Alaska has no towers for Cingular/AT&T cell usage. I was told I may be able to use the ship's "cingular at sea" plan, but that would cost about $2.49 or so a minute. Does anyone have a solution for staying in touch with home from Alaska? Is there a phone card I can purchase and then find a pay phone as we go to various ports? I'm sure the phone in our room will be even more expensive than using the ship cell line.

The information you received is absolutely incorrect. They do provide coverage in all Alaska ports, Anchorage and Fairbanks. Also Denali National Park.

I just came from Vancouver to Alaska on Summit and then on land tour from Seward to Denali, where I am now. Have had coverage in all ports and Anchorage and Denali.

I have a nationwide plan with AT&T and there is no roaming charge for major Alaska locations. Check the AT&T website for coverage chart.

Good luck and have a nice cruise.

I am going on the Summit Seward to Vancouver September 7 sailing, and I just learned today that Alaska has no towers for Cingular/AT&T cell usage. I was told I may be able to use the ship's "cingular at sea" plan, but that would cost about $2.49 or so a minute. Does anyone have a solution for staying in touch with home from Alaska? Is there a phone card I can purchase and then find a pay phone as we go to various ports? I'm sure the phone in our room will be even more expensive than using the ship cell line.

I am on SPRINT PCS. :)

Sprint does not have much coverage in Alaska.

I did have coverage anyway in some ports..and, other places I had ROAM coverage...I used my SPRINT phone card from

all shore locations and, hotels when I did not want to use ROAMING

on my phone..I believe I used the ROAM feature once at

Icy Strait Point...

I am going on the Summit Seward to Vancouver September 7 sailing, and I just learned today that Alaska has no towers for Cingular/AT&T cell usage.

Who told you that outrageous lie? We sailed Summit in 2005 and I used my Cingular phone in Skagway, Anchorage, Ketchikan and a few other places with no problems whatsoever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPKR

I am going on the Summit Seward to Vancouver September 7 sailing, and I just learned today that Alaska has no towers for Cingular/AT&T cell usage.

Who told you that outrageous lie? We sailed Summit in 2005 and I used my Cingular phone in Skagway, Anchorage, Ketchikan and a few other places with no problems whatsoever.

:D My guess is a cell phone salesman for another company. :D

Thanks for the help California Dreamin. Two from AT&T yesterday told me no way. Today two said yes, but again, one said no. The web site shows Anchorage and Seward. How about Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point? I was about to rent a satelite phone, but your post made me call again and do further research. Thank heavens you were still checking the cruise critic site.

Suzie

Returned from the Summit 8/3 - I too used my cell phone (ATT) from Anchorage, Denali, Talkeetna, Seward, Juneau, Skagway (not all the way to Emerald Lake - no service); Ketchikan; Icy Strait Point and also onboard the ship when we were NOT out to sea.

I had spoken with ATT before I left and they said yes and that is what my phone said when I turned it on. I was very careful to turn it off when at sea since evidently if you receive calls and even if they go to voicemail then the charge is $2.99 per minute or higher.

Hope this helps - Have a great cruise

Thanks for the help California Dreamin. Two from AT&T yesterday told me no way. Today two said yes, but again, one said no. The web site shows Anchorage and Seward. How about Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point?

Yes, coverage at all these, as well as Alyeska Lodge at Girdwood and Fairbanks.

I was about to rent a satelite phone, but your post made me call again and do further research. Thank heavens you were still checking the cruise critic site.

Suzie

We left Fairbanks at 2:00 am today and arrived in Fresno, CA at 10:35 am.

Have a great cruise.

All good info, we have Cingular/At&t and was wondering if we needed to contact them before our cruise. I assume my plan is Nationwide...I travel a good bit!

I did not contact them prior to cruise, no need to.

The ships cell tower should be turned off in port. Look for AT&T on your display to be sure you are connected to them.

At sea you will probably connect to ships tower if your phone is on. Keep it off if possible so you don't receive any calls.

AT&T just bought out Dobson (Cellular one) who is one of the main cell phone providers in Alaska. ATT Alascom is a long distance provider for Alaska. ATT uses Dobson system for cells. Trivia..Dobson and ATT traded cell systems a few years ago for California cell system and now they are back LOL:confused:... I dont know about roaming but look to make sure because ATT has not taken over yet. PS some of the national wide plans do not include Alaska..Because we are not part of the USA LOL:p

We went in May on the Summit to Alaska and I had NO problem using my Cingular AT&T cell phone. I was not able to connect while on the ship but when we were in ports, connections were fine. With the plan I have we DID have to pay ROAMING charges but who cares. I was happy to hear that everything was ok at home. 2 weeks in Alaska and lots of cell calls home and our bill was $62. Not bad right?

marlene

• 7 months later...
Thanks for the help California Dreamin. Two from AT&T yesterday told me no way. Today two said yes, but again, one said no. The web site shows Anchorage and Seward. How about Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point? I was about to rent a satelite phone, but your post made me call again and do further research. Thank heavens you were still checking the cruise critic site.

Suzie

As I stated previously I used my cell phone in Alaska in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan in July of 2005. We had Cingular Wireless which is now AT&T. I've never had a problem getting a connection.

I don't think I used it in ISP so I don't know if you would get service.

Just to let you know once the ship leaves port they turn on the cell towers and not only is it $2.49 a minute on the ship, but they charge you roaming also. We got royaly nailed when we traveled up to New England/Canada last October on Constellation. Yea you get great service but it ends up costing $5.00 a minute. Our son has just started college at Syracuse University so we wanted to stay in touch. He could call us with no problems but like I said we ended up paying a ton of money.

That I refuse to own a cellphone.

It makes my life less stressful...and besides I don't need to be receiving calls, especially bad news while I'm enjoying my vacation. I'll just deal with any problems when I get back home.

Besides that money I'm saving on monthy minute plans is worth a few of those great martinis:D .

Dave:eek:

Hi,

We have Verizon. Has anyone been able to get service in Alaska with Verizon?

I just stopped at a Verizon Wireless store. They told me there is coverage in Alaska- I specifically asked about Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, and Skagway. They said yes, there is coverage, but I'd find dead zones. It's nice to know that I can use my phone to check in with the "furry children" and their "cat-sitter" that we leave at home!!! And it seems like everyone has cell phones nowadays,"bububr"- I'm surprised to hear you don't own one, and are happy about it! It seems you can't even find pay phones anymore...:(

For those who turn off their phones while at sea but want to use the cell phone as an alarm clock, my Motorola phone with AT&T rings even if the phone is turned off. I know this because I had left the alarm enabled when I turned the phone off and it startled me out of a nice sleep on a sea day morning. And, of course, I couldn't find the thing. I like to use my phone for an alarm because it always knows what time it is. Almost always.

Archived