San Diego Rental car from port?

lambs2

Just wondering if anyone knows if any of the rental car companies have a location near the cruise port in San Diego or provide a shuttle to their airport location for car pickup (like in Hawaii) as I will be leaving from the airport the next day.

It is less than 2 miles from the cruise ship pier to the airport, and most of the rental car companies are in between. Most of the larger ones will be happy to shuttle you from the port to their office, and then back to the airport when you return your car. You can reserve on-line, then call the local office to confirm (most allow you to reserve without having to pre-pay).

It is less than 2 miles from the cruise ship pier to the airport, and most of the rental car companies are in between. Most of the larger ones will be happy to shuttle you from the port to their office, and then back to the airport when you return your car. You can reserve on-line, then call the local office to confirm (most allow you to reserve without having to pre-pay).

Just a little clarification about the advice from Splinter above. (I am not criticizing your advice...just the rental car companies!) I just made a car reservation (Enterprise) and found out after a L-O-N-G time on the phone with customer service, and before that with Thrifty, that neither car rental company provides a shuttle to pick up at the port from their AIRPORT location. I wanted the airport location becuase I will be dropping the car off there the next morning to catch a 9 am flight home.

Enterprise says that they will charge me an extra $40. :eek: for the 'privilege' of getting car from their downtown location (they do have a shuttle to the port) and returning it at the airport location. I tried to get a better deal, but nothing doing (and I have Thrifty and Enterprise expedited member services). I guess DH could catch a bus or cab to their airport location, get our reserved car and then come back for me, but this sure seems like a hassle! It was so much easier at all the ports in Hawaii.............. Anyone ever actually rent a car in San Diego and have this all work out? The office for Enterprise close to the cruise port would really be out of the way for us to return our car in the morning to catch our flight....and they probably don't provide shuttle service to the airport, either. Maybe one of the other rental companies will work better for us.

Well, if they won't shuttle you, it should cost less than $10 to take a cab from the port to any of the rental car agencies. No need to go back to the airport (which would cost the same). Some are close enough to walk to easily.

These rental agencies list on the Convention and Visitors Bureau cruise resources site, so I would start with them:

http://www.sandiego.org/nav/Visitors/GettingAround/VehicleRental

Here are local numbers for most of the local agencies:

Advantage Rent-A-Car (619) 858-3730

Alamo Rent a Car (800) GO-ALAMO

Autorent Car Rental (619) 692-3006

Avis Rent a Car (800) 852-4617

Budget (800) 527-0700

Dollar Rent A Car (800) 800-4000

Enterprise Rent a Car (800) 270-8881

Fox Rent-A-Car (800) 225-4369

Hertz Rent A Car (800) 654-3131

National Car Rental (800) 227-7368