HARWICH - Boat Train Warning

2ladies

Both RCCL and One Railway should be thoroughly ashamed at abandoning many passengers holding return tickets on August 5th. Apparently, this is not a new occurrence!!

I was aware that there would be a change in service due to works on the line. However, after enquiring by 'phone, e-mail and in person, I received four different opinions of which transport would be supplied.

I enquired at the Front Desk as to whether they had been informed of changes to the service and the reply was "well, you know the British railway service"!! Unfortunately, I do!! However, since RCCL advertises that there is a boat train it behoves them to at least liaise with the rail authorities on alternative arrangements.

On arriving at the station just after 8.00am there were already anxious passengers as there was NO RAIL EMPLOYEE on duty and no-one at RCCL had a clue as to what was going on. To make matters worse, many of the passengers didn't speak English.

After a 45 mins I arranged for limo transport to London which worked out at the same rate as RCCL's transfers, but dropped us at our front door. Much more convenient!!

However, apparently many passengers got on a train to Manningtree, then had to change platforms, to Stratford and then bus or tube to Liverpool Street!! Then onwards!! With all their luggage - apparently a nightmare trip!!!

According to our driver, the same thing happened a few weeks previously, so the ship personnel obviously knew there would be problems.

I shall certainly not travel from Harwich again as its inconvenient anyway from London and certainly from the airports!!

I would have thought that before using a Port, a major cruiseline would ascertain that satisfactory public transportation would be available. We have never had such a problem at Dover or Southampton.

Not to even have a member of staff on duty from either RCCL or One Railway, to supply information, is a downright disgrace.

We have travelled frequently on trains in the UK. Engineering works take place at weekends occasionally. They are advertised on the web site at least a month in advance.

We have been to Harwich and back by train several times - it is a great service. no problems.

On our last cruise, from Dover, we saw that there were engineering works en-route so we simply added an extra 30 minutes, changed on a different line at Ashford. No worries.

This experience of the OP demonstrates that it is good to be well informed.

There is no reason whatever not to sail from Harwich because of this.

Sure there is - how do you expect foreigners, 'no speaka English' to cope without any information whatsoever, when they arrive at the station? There was not one person on duty to tell them what to do, or that their journey would be any different from that which they had experienced 12 days previously!!

As a Londoner I expected problems, so was not surprised - but I did feel very sorry for the families huddled on the platform, totally bewildered, surrounded by luggage and kids!!

This is certainly NOT a great service IMHO!! I was ashamed to be British!!! Nowhere else would tourists be treated in such a manner!! And this is not the first time this year. According to our taxi driver, a few weeks ago, people were left there for six hours - I can't vouch for this obviously!!

Anyway, its the lack of information at the station from either One Rail or RCCL which I am complaining about!!!

The info I was given before the cruise, by various railway employees was: a) bus to Stratford b)bus to Liverpool Street c)no bus but train to Stratford and then you are on your own d) train to Stratford and then special bus to Liverpool Street!!

I had booked special assistance for a handicapped lady also - even with the reference number, this wasn't much good, as no employee at all was present at the station!!!

Archived