Gardens

LakeErieLady

We're nature type people and would like to go to a special garden that has native plants - trees, flowers, but when I look through all my resource books, they all have different ones on each of the island as one of the best- I really would like to have some idea for one that 'everyone':) thinks is the best-

I know this is one of those - which island is best- kind of questions

we enjoyed Burchart gardens in Victoria, BC. Longwood in PA, various gardens in FL

• Administrators
We're nature type people and would like to go to a special garden that has native plants - trees, flowers, but when I look through all my resource books, they all have different ones on each of the island as one of the best- I really would like to have some idea for one that 'everyone':) thinks is the best-

I know this is one of those - which island is best- kind of questions

we enjoyed Burchart gardens in Victoria, BC. Longwood in PA, various gardens in FL

If you have to pick just one (and they all offer some form of garden tour) I would pick Kauai, home of the National Tropical Botanical Gardens (try a google search for that name) -- that includes Allerton, and Limahui gardens. Smith's Family Paradise also offers a large tropical garden.

Oh, PS, on "native" plants -- there aren't so many on Hawaii, actually. Remember that everything on Hawaii came there via one of the 3 W's -- water, wind, or wing (bird droppings). Still, many species have adapted and their Hawaiian versions are unlike their versions elsewhere. :)

Archived