What could a pregnant woman do in Panama?

FFKampy

Good morning. After a brief search I did not see anything on the subject.

My wife will be about 25 weeks pregnant when we cruise to Panama, Costa Rica & Belize.

What are some of the safer activities for the pregnant ladies while in Panama ?

• 1 month later...

WHEN WE WERE THERE SEVERAL YEARS AGO WE TOOK A MONKEY SIGHTING TOUR IN LAKE GATUN(sp?)- ALTHOUGH THE SMALL BAOT WE WERE BUSSED TO DID NOT GO THROUGH THE LOCKS WE GOT TO SEE THE LARGE SHIPS PASSING EACH OTHER VERY CLOSE ON THE LAKE. ONE OF THE PLACES WE SAW MONKEYS, THEY ACTUALLY CLIMBED OUT ON THE TREES TO THE BOAT AND ATE OUT OF MY HUSBAND'S HAND.- VERY COOL!!!

I WASN'T PREGNANT WHEN WE WERE THERE, BUT I WAS ON THE NEXT FAMILY CRUISE SO I NOTICED THE THINGS THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN IMPORTANT TO ME- SHIP>BUS>LITTLE BOAT- (FAIRLY NICE BATHROOM AT BOAT LOADING AREA)>ISLANDS AS ABOVE- (I CHOSE TO TAKE PICTURES INSTEAD OF HANDING OUT BREAD- SO THAT NONE OF THE MONKEYS CAME VERY CLOSE TO ME THEREFORE...I PROBABLY WOULDN'T BE TOO WORRIED ABOUT "STRANGE DISEASES" THEN BACK TO THE BUSES, A FEW VERY SHORT GET OUT TAKE A PICTURE STOPS AND BACK TO THE SHIP.

IT IS DEFINITELY A PORT YOU WANT TO GET OFF THE SHIP FOR!!

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!!!!

PS- NEVER HURTS TO HAVE A HANDIWIPE JUST IN CASE.

• 3 weeks later...
WHEN WE WERE THERE SEVERAL YEARS AGO WE TOOK A MONKEY SIGHTING TOUR IN LAKE GATUN(sp?)- ALTHOUGH THE SMALL BAOT WE WERE BUSSED TO DID NOT GO THROUGH THE LOCKS WE GOT TO SEE THE LARGE SHIPS PASSING EACH OTHER VERY CLOSE ON THE LAKE. ONE OF THE PLACES WE SAW MONKEYS, THEY ACTUALLY CLIMBED OUT ON THE TREES TO THE BOAT AND ATE OUT OF MY HUSBAND'S HAND.- VERY COOL!!!

I WASN'T PREGNANT WHEN WE WERE THERE, BUT I WAS ON THE NEXT FAMILY CRUISE SO I NOTICED THE THINGS THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN IMPORTANT TO ME- SHIP>BUS>LITTLE BOAT- (FAIRLY NICE BATHROOM AT BOAT LOADING AREA)>ISLANDS AS ABOVE- (I CHOSE TO TAKE PICTURES INSTEAD OF HANDING OUT BREAD- SO THAT NONE OF THE MONKEYS CAME VERY CLOSE TO ME THEREFORE...I PROBABLY WOULDN'T BE TOO WORRIED ABOUT "STRANGE DISEASES" THEN BACK TO THE BUSES, A FEW VERY SHORT GET OUT TAKE A PICTURE STOPS AND BACK TO THE SHIP.

IT IS DEFINITELY A PORT YOU WANT TO GET OFF THE SHIP FOR!!

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!!!!

PS- NEVER HURTS TO HAVE A HANDIWIPE JUST IN CASE.

As long as you're ok with a tetnus booster in the last 10 years and, check with your OB, use a DEET 50% insect repellent to keep Dengue Fever away you should be fine. I'm not pregnant but am a quadriplegic allergic to tetnus shots. I'll be doing the Monkey Search on the Azamara Journey. Just use a camera and let others feed them. I never had problems with the Barbary Apes in Gibralter. Just use regular care...

From what I havbe gathered so far, I think we may do the two oceans by train.

You should be very cmfortable on this excursion. It is a long day. After you go thru the canal you will tender and then take a bus to the train. It is air-conditioned and you will get to see more of the canal. There is a dome car if you travel in it where you can buy sodas and treats. There is also a commentator. Once of the train you might get to see another ship go though the Miraflores Locks depending on the time. While there you might also get to see a film on the canal. You will take a bus tour of Panama. You will stop to see the Bridge of the Americas and there is a stop so you can shop. You will then be taken back to the train and then be bussed back to the pier. At the pier there are vendors for you to shop again. We were given a boxed lunch on the bus, which you ate while the bus was traveling.

We are a slightly older couple , I enjoy learning history so that is why this excursion was enjoyable for me.

Archived