Ammolite jewelry !!!!!!!

puffer46

We will be on a 14 day cruise to the southern carribean in Jan. aboard the Crown Princess. I'm really interested in Ammolite jewelry, especially rings.... Has anyone bought any Ammolite and if so on which island? I do know that on St. Thomas there is a store "Ammolite by the Sea" but with 10 islands to visit just wondering if I could get better prices somewhere else. Ammolite is sooooo beautiful.....Thanks for any info. from fellow

cruisers. Linda

p.s. hope this is the right forum to post this question

I've never been to Ammolite, but I heard it's a amazing place from my friend! Hopefully I would have a chance for a trip someday!

I am a might suspicious of Ammolite. It only comes from Canada, so, I ask,'Why do we see so little of it here in Canada?' Cruise ships love it, just as they do Tanzanite. I would stay with the tried and true gems, from your local jeweller, unless you wish to gamble!

john

I agree, I had never heard of either of those stones until I went on a cruise ship. I just wonder if they are trying to manufacture a trend and make something of relatively low worth appear to be very desirable, rare and therefore expensive.

I do think ammoilte is pretty though.

• 1 year later...
http://www.korite.com/

This is the company that NCL Columbian Emeralds shops (the onboard gem dealers for NCL ships) deals with.

Cruise lines are paid to promote certain jewelry stores, and that doesn't make it better than another. To be honest, we've had a lot of problems with some of the ship sponsored shops. BTW, the original thread is more than three years old, so I suspect the poster has long taken their cruise LOL.

ammolite is not a stone- it was a living creature 100 million years ago. It is found in the St. Mary's river in southern Alberta. Ammonites-found world wide, especially in Morocco, are the same creature. The reasons for the colors in ammolite has to do with the earths crust and the pressure it had forced on the fossilized creature. I have worked with the raw specimens, my hubby cuts and polishes gem quality stones and I wire wrap them. Korite company is by far the most famous out there. Yes it is expensive. Look for quality pieces with at least two colors if not more. As stated earlier, the blues and purples are harder to find. Red and green most common. It has been covered with either a clear lacquer or a clear quartz cap to protect it from drying out.Do not subject it to harsh cleaning chemicals. Once in awhile, the shopping channels or QVC will have a good selection. Just be careful, as you also have to be careful when buying Larimar..Dona

Thanks for the information. I just purchase an ammolite pendant (in sterling) while on board the NCL Dawn. I believe it is either grade A- or B, but was reasonable in price and is mainly red and green and has a faceted cap, but does show some blue when turned in the light.

We love visiting the eastern Canadian coast, and hope to be able to visit western Canada some day.

ammolite is not a stone- it was a living creature 100 million years ago. It is found in the St. Mary's river in southern Alberta. Ammonites-found world wide, especially in Morocco, are the same creature. The reasons for the colors in ammolite has to do with the earths crust and the pressure it had forced on the fossilized creature. I have worked with the raw specimens, my hubby cuts and polishes gem quality stones and I wire wrap them. Korite company is by far the most famous out there. Yes it is expensive. Look for quality pieces with at least two colors if not more. As stated earlier, the blues and purples are harder to find. Red and green most common. It has been covered with either a clear lacquer or a clear quartz cap to protect it from drying out.Do not subject it to harsh cleaning chemicals. Once in awhile, the shopping channels or QVC will have a good selection. Just be careful, as you also have to be careful when buying Larimar..Dona

Thanks for the information. I just purchase an ammolite pendant (in sterling) while on board the NCL Dawn. I believe it is either grade A- or B, but was reasonable in price and is mainly red and green and has a faceted cap, but does show some blue when turned in the light.

We love visiting the eastern Canadian coast, and hope to be able to visit western Canada some day.

If the gem has reasonable 'flash' and is bright, with 2 colours, it should be some low to mid grade of A. When you buy from a jewelery store you should always ask for the grade in writing.

john

Thanks for the info. I believe it is A- grade, but they told me that Korite does not provide grading info for items set in sterling silver - only those set in gold. I am happy with it, and it was what seemed to be a reasonable price.

If the gem has reasonable 'flash' and is bright, with 2 colours, it should be some low to mid grade of A. When you buy from a jewelery store you should always ask for the grade in writing.

john

For basic research on stones/gems/minerals I don't understand, I check out wikipedia first, then look on ebay for basic pricing info. After that, if I'm still interested, I have a "baseline" from which to work.

Thanks for the info. I believe it is A- grade, but they told me that Korite does not provide grading info for items set in sterling silver - only those set in gold. I am happy with it, and it was what seemed to be a reasonable price.

Korite is one retail firm that I might buy from, if I liked the stone. I buy stones on e bay, and do my own mounting.

Since I wrote a few years ago I would now be very careful buying from a 'factory'.

A quick story. I went to a store in Juneau, and spotted an Ammonite, [the sea snail that ammolite comes from], it was 7 1/2 inches across, and priced at $44,000. I mentioned that I knew a little about the items, and the price went down to $4,000. I then pulled a few of my stones out of my pocket, told the Jeweler the price that I had paid, for them, and then told him that I did in fact also own a similar 7 1/2 inch ammonite for which I paid $99.00 plus postage on e bay on auction! My wife calls it a 'Dust Collector' :D

john

(from Wikipedia) Ammolite is a rare and valuable opal-like organic gemstone found primarily along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains of the United States and Canada. It is arguably the rarest gemstone on earth, rivaling the rarity of such gemstones as alexandrite and red diamonds. It is made of the fossilized shells of ammonites, which in turn are composed primarily of aragonite, the same mineralnacreous pearls. It is one of several biogenic gemstones; others include amber and pearl. In 1981, ammolite was given official gemstone status by the World Jewellery Confederation, the same year commercial mining of ammolite began. It was designated the official gemstone of the Province of Alberta in 2004 and the official gemstone of the City of Lethbridge in 2007.

Ammolite is also known as aapoak (Kainah for "small, crawling stone"), gem ammonite, calcentine, and korite. The latter is a trade name given to the gemstone by the Alberta-based mining company Korite International, the first and largest commercial producer of ammolite.

As when buying any jewelery, you need to do your homework first. As a Canadian, I have seen many pieces of ammolite available, but to say it is expensive or cheap as a broad term is inaccurate. I have been into stores with a lot of low grade choices which are very expensive, and have been in stores with very high grade choices which are relatively inexpensive.

If you know what to look for when shopping, you can find some great bargains most anywhere in the world. You also can find many stores that are out to take advantage of the uninformed.

Have an idea of what you are looking for, how to identify quality product, what to avoid, what price range you are willing to be in, and then look at pieces available in the various stores. When a piece jumps out at you and speaks to you, that is the one to buy. If you have done your homework, you will be able to make an informed decision as to whether it is fairly priced, and if you can live with your decision.

Then you make your purchase, and wear your piece with joy. That is how I feel you should buy jewelery. If it makes you feel good wearing it, if you have made an informed decision and are comfortable with the price you have paid, then you have made a good choice.

If you are looking for an investment piece, then you need to become somewhat of an expert in the medium of your choice to make sure you are making a good business decision. Otherwise, I don't feel a novice with little knowledge of the stone/gem/etc. is capable of confidently walking into any store in the Caribbean (or anywhere for that matter) and knowing they have made a sound investment.

My husband and I have been looking for just the right piece of ammolite for a necklace for me, and have turned down many great offers - some of them excellent prices. They just haven't been the right piece yet, and I am willing to wait. I intend to only purchase one piece, and when I find THE ONE, I will know it. Then I will be happy to pay a fair price, and will enjoy each and every time I fasten it around my neck. Whether I find that piece here in Canada, in the Caribbean, or a cruise ship, it doesn't matter to me. When it is the right piece, at the right price - it will become mine.

I hope you find just what you are looking for and get many years of happiness each time you wear it. Enjoy! :)

I bought a pendant in Mexico when we first heard about ammolite in 2003. I bought earrings and a ring the following two years in Alaska. Two years ago we visited the factory in Alberta, Canada - the prices have skyrocketed. Haven't made any further purchases due to the price. I do love the pieces I have.

NMI

I bought a pendant in Mexico when we first heard about ammolite in 2003. I bought earrings and a ring the following two years in Alaska. Two years ago we visited the factory in Alberta, Canada - the prices have skyrocketed. Haven't made any further purchases due to the price. I do love the pieces I have.

NMI

Prices have gone up in the past two years, at that time $125.00 per sq cm for an unmounted grade A stone was a normal retail price, however the 'factory' prices were higher.

E bay was saying that you could pay one tenth of the retail price at auction. They were not far off the mark, and all the sellers I encountered were honest. The only time I complained to a seller, I came out ahead on the final deal.

john

I am a might suspicious of Ammolite. It only comes from Canada, so, I ask,'Why do we see so little of it here in Canada?' Cruise ships love it, just as they do Tanzanite. I would stay with the tried and true gems, from your local jeweller, unless you wish to gamble!

john

Add me to the list of people who don't "get it"!

Wikipedia (admittedly not the most authoritative source, but usually correct) says:

"Ammolite is a rare and valuable opal-like organic gemstone found primarily along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains of the United States and Canada."

So, why go looking to buy it in the southern Caribbean?

I'd be very wary that it is just a money-gathering promotion by some opportunistic companies looking to take advantage of tourism.

Edited by celle

Collecting these gems has been a hobby of mine for a few years, I used to collect stamps.

At a bowling club that I belong to, we have a 'white elephant' draw over a three day period each year, for 100 or so 'gifts'. My contribution last year, three ammolite stones, the best three that I won on auction on e bay, 10 for $20.00 plus postage. Each one I had turned into a pendant by adding a gold plated bail, [cost $1.00 each].

One 'winner' came up to me a couple of months later, to tell me that he had taken his piece to a jeweler to get it valued for insurance purposes, the result? $300.00:D I don't know who was pulling who's leg, but the end result to me anyway is Ammolite can be a wonderful, and inexpensive gift. For myself I wear a different piece on each day of the cruise that I am on.:)

john

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for this information. I like getting recommendations for stores where people have shopped and had good experiences, especially for years.

Dealt with Kay's branch in Aruba on the recomendation of one of their old customer and our co cruiser. Great people good service, VERY reasonable prices and discounts. Kay's St. Matin store was also recomended by other friends and cruisers.

Got my ring in Alaska. Investment had nothing to do with it. I bought it because it was pretty and it was different. I have it about five years and I still don't see anyone else wearing it. I can't tell you how much I overpaid for it because as far as I am concerned, all gold purchased in Alaska is overpriced. I just wanted the ammolite.

However, the salesperson told me it is very delicate (fossilized shell or something) and that it breaks easily. Bought it anyway and you guessed it . . . several months later, I managed to crack the stone in the corner. :eek: I do have to admit, though, that I am very hard on my jewelry. No one has ever noticed the crack, but I am very aware of it each time I wear it. Wearing it upsidedown makes it almost impossible to notice! :D

Edited by THEWIFE
spelling error again

• 5 months later...

Interesting info MrGreen. I too buy Ammolite online. Even cut and polish my own when I can get the rough pieces.

Comming from an opal and jewelry background I believe the pricing confusion is the same with Ammolite. As with opal there is a large variety of colors, grades and production types which make it difficult for even jewelers who do not constantly deal with the gem to keep up. And I know for certain that unless you get an appraisal from someone who deals with these gems constantly, they are just guessing.

For my custom jewelry pieces I buy ammolite from these people 'Outbackgems' on gemrockauctions.com. I have bought 4 times from them in the past year and they are the best finished gems I have purchased so far. Great for me because when I buy ammolite from eBay and even other private websites I always need to finish off the gem a little, some a lot, before I can set it. Most annoying.

http://www.gemrockauctions.com/seller-auctions.php?seller_id=11487

More expensive than crappy eBay ammolite. But I know I can rely on their gem quality and certainly very well finished.

Also ammolite and opal are relatively soft and brittle gems. It is a very specialized field and they must be set correctly in jewelry or one slight knock and your gem can be ruined. Especially if there is too much pressure on the gem when set which often happens to opal when poorly set. For years now most of the worlds' opal has been sent to asian countries for cutting due to cheaper labour costs, not because they were better at it in the beginning, certaiinly excellent at it now. And that is why you will find that most of Korite's ammolite cutters are from Hong Kong and China, from an opal background, as the process is quite similar.

As for the seemingly odd match up with Canadian ammolite on cruise ships. It's a marketting thing. Korite seemed to attach ammolite to 'feng shui' to increase its' awareness. And it worked! Asians love the gem. Cruise ships offer tax free which is good for us. I have rarely seen much difference in prices with what is offered on cruise ships and stores in southern Alberta, in fact usually the price is a little higher on the ships. We pay the tax on top of the purchase price, so there is no $$$ difference to the suppliers and sellers profits either way. But the 'tax free' is a great selling tool and gets us buying. Also we tend to open our wallets easier and allow ourselves to spend a little more when holidaying too. Well, at least I do!

If I was ever to buy ammolite jewelry I would only buy from someone with many many years experience with the ammolite or opal. Good quality is getting harder to find and it is increasing in $$$ fast. There is plenty of crappy backyard made low grade on eBay, with only a very few sellers that offer even good quality there. Most try to pass it off as better grade than it is. Especially the Thai. Wordof warning, bewareof the sellers from Thailand on eBay! I see them buying gems from other sellers on eBay, even using the same pictures, and relisting them at ridiculously high prices. And with over 20 years in the jewelry and gem trade I can safely say that most of them are incorrectly classified. Also they enhance the pictures and use other tricks like colorless oils etc. Once I find a good seller I stick to them now.

Wow. This was a long first post. As you can tell I love Ammolite. Every one is truly unique, some are mindblowing little treasures. Good luck with your gem purchases guys and girls!

Anyone wishing to sell some good(plus) to high quality ammolite rough please let me know!

• 3 years later...

I don't buy either opal or ammolite because the stuff made in labs is usually prettier and more durable than the real stuff --- and it is a lot less expensive.

On one cruise ship, they had some jewelry in a case and the contest was to "spot the fake". I spotted it immediately because DW was wearing the same ring that was in the case !!!