South America cruises: Oceania or Regent?

dallasite

We are considering and trying to compare connected Oceania cruises from Rio to Valparaiso in December with connected Regent crises from Lima to Manaus, Brazil in January and February. A major question is whether we'd be better off going to Antarctica (on Oceania) or to the Amazon (on Regent). Any opinion from those who have been to one or both?

What a dilemma you have. We have done both an Antarctic cruise leaving from Rio and finishing in Valpariso and an Amazon cruise leaving from Vancouver, going through the Panama Canal then up the Amazon to Manaus and then back again finishing in Tampa.

Both trips were amazing and so different from each other. We did our Antarctic cruise on the Regal Princess and our Amazon cruise with HAL on the Veendam. We are booked on a 35 day Oceania cruise for next April which we are very much looking forward to. I have only heard good reports about Oceania.

Our ships were both about 55,000 tons whereas Oceania's are only 30,000. tons. I mention this only because we have cruised on both the Tahitian Princess and Pacific Princess which are actually sister ships to Oceania's as they were all once belonged to the defunct Renaissance Cruiseline. They do move around quite a bit in rough water. We were in a Force 11 gale going down to Antarctica from the Falklands and we were pleased we were in a good sized ship that was able to ride the waves well.

Other than this, I would not hesitate to cruise with Oceania. We had friends for lunch on Sunday who have just come off a Regent ship in Alaska and they said they would never cruise with Regent again. They were not at all happy and have written to Regent's Head Office. They have received a large credit off their next cruise but say they will never use it as they will not cruise with them again.

To compare the two different itineraries is very hard. We did our Antarctica cruise in January, 2006 and our Amazon cruise in Sept/Oct 2006. I would hesitate going up the Amazon in Jan/Feb as it is the wet season and everything will be in flood plus you have the worry of mosquitoes with so much water around. The time we went was fantastic as we saw all the beaches along the river, there were no mosquitoes and the wet season hadn't begun. The only time we had rain was in Paratins for a couple of hours one afternoon.

Hope this helps a little.

Jennie

" They were not at all happy and have written to Regent's Head Office. They have received a large credit off their next cruise but say they will never use it as they will not cruise with them again. "

Would you care to elaborate as to why your friends did not like Regent? I am so surprised to hear this! Our dream is to take a Regent cruise some day and have heard/ read so many good things about that line.

From what I can gather, they were extemely disappointed with the meals and the service in general.

They have cruised on both HAL and Crystal and said there is no comparison between Crystal and Regent.

Whereas my sister and BIL have cruised on Silverseas a number of times and love that line. They have also cruised on Crystal, HAL and Celebrity. They are booked on Seabourn next year so it will be interesting to hear what their thoughts will be when comparing Silverseas and Seabourn.

Jennie

Archived