Info on Cordova???

GMoney

Does anyone have comments on Cordova? It gets some great write up in some of the travel info I'm reading, especially for hiking, so that's why I'm interested. I know it's bit out of the way and accessible only by ferry.

I did a search and found only a few mentions. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Funny that you ask about Cordova. I just booked a May 2008 trip to AK that will include 3 nights in Cordova. I know it is very early in the season (probably no hiking or camping for me!) but for the price I paid to get from Minneapolis to Anchorage I could not afford to NOT go. And I planned it to be there for the Shorebird Festival May 8-11.

I have heard some very good things about Cordova. As you said you can only get there by ferry (or by air). The AK Marine Ferry system goes there. It is supposed to be a really neat town. If you use frequent flyer miles to get to Anchorage, often you can make a stop in Anchorage en route to Cordova for no additional charge.

I was told by NancyIL that Frommers Alaska has a good write up about it.

The guy who runs the Chamber of Commerce there (Martin) is unbelievably helpful. I had to know the dates of that festival by yesterday in order to finalize my ticket and he was so helpful on the phone when I called yesterday.

cordovachamber.com is their website - some of the info is outdated but that wouldn't matter in things like lodging, things to do, etc. You might also try trip advisor - there is a person who posts there who is from Cordova and seems very helpful.

Archived