Pearl Shopping Advice Wanted

daboo

I was wondering if any of you past Tahiti/Cook Islands travellers have some advice regarding the best place(s) to shop for pearls. I will be travelling in March 2005 and have asked my DF to purchase a wedding gift for me there (as opposed to before the wedding/honeymoon) and would like any and all suggestions as to where you think the best deals/quality are.

Thank you all for your help!

Tanya

Hey Tanya

We were on the Tahitian Princess last March and purchased two loose pearls from a shop on Rarotonga (Bergman) was the name of the shop.When we went to have them set at Mayors the man said the quality was the best he has seen and the appraised at double what we paid.The pearls we bought were about 9.2mm each.I hope this helps.

Tom

PS keep in mind in Rarotonga you are dealing with NZ money and the exchange rate was much better than the Tahitian money

Hi Tom,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I look forward to shopping there. :) Were you able to pay by credit card? I would assume that because of the cost of the pearls, the stores accept VISA and Mastercard. Is that correct?

Tanya

We also bought pearls in Raratonga and used a credit card.

We also bought some beautiful pearls in Papeete, just around the corner from our hotel - Le Meridien. This shop had literally hundreds of pearls to choose from, in every colour imaginable and you could make up your own necklaces or choose a pearl for a pendent etc. We had a lot of fun doing this and I came home with some beautiful pearls.

Jennie

I, too, bought a pearls in Rarotonga. Went to Bergman & Sons and bought a beautiful 18K white gold bracelet with 7 pearls set in a "cage" around the bracelet. It's not so fancy that I can't wear it every day. I enjoy it with jeans, formal dresses, suits for work and everything in between. I love my purchase. They do take credit cards.

Jackie

Archived