HELP!! I'm burnt out on Holland America-will Princess do?

PoseidonGodoftheSea

It's not that I don't like HAL, they've been good to me. I love their staterooms, food, etc. But the ships are all starting to look the same, I need a change. I'm in the pre-booking stage for my spring cruise to Alaska and I'm considering the Star Princess or Golden Princess out of Seattle, the pics on Expedia look awesome and look to be jazzier ships than anything HAL sails.

My question is this: would Princess be a good line to cross over to for a single guy that is bearing down hard on middle age but not quite ready to hang it up? My impression of Princess is that it's less sedate than HAL but not over the top like Carnival. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

Cute! Sure, by all means. Just know that Princess, Holland Am & Carnival are all part of the Carnival Corporation. I've sailed on the Golden to New England and it is a beauty. Just make sure you do a balcony because Alaska is Beautiful!

PinkSuit

If you like HAL, then you'll like Princess. We've done both.

I agree that the cabins on Princess are smaller unless you get a mini-suite. However, if you get a cabin on Caribe deck you'd get a lovely big balcony that makes up for having less space in the room. When we were on the Zuiderdam our balcony was very small.

Is HAL really that "sleepy"? Their private island looks so gorgeous, is it much nicer than Princess Cays (which I love)? We are normally in bed by midnight anyway, but I assume they do have shows in the theater as Princess does? Thanks.

Is HAL really that "sleepy"? Their private island looks so gorgeous, is it much nicer than Princess Cays (which I love)? We are normally in bed by midnight anyway, but I assume they do have shows in the theater as Princess does? Thanks.

HAL is not sleepy, nor do most of its passengers depend on prunes...or Depends! I have made many friends and acquaintences on HAL cruises between the ages of 25-45. HAL does have its weaknesses, it's show lounge entertainment being one of them, in my experience.

To answer your question directly I think you will like Princess.

I am 52 and have over 130 days on HAL and over 70 days on Princess. The standard cabins on HAL are MUCH nicer than on Princess. However, I almost always book a mini-suite when I go on Princess so this does not bother me personally. My current favorite ships are the Coral Princess with the HAL Volendam barely behind.

I normally cruise twice a year usually in Nov/Dec and April/May. The 7-10 day cruises on BOTH lines in Nov/Dec have always attracted an older crowd. Almost identical. The April/May cruises book a more varied and younger cruise clientèle on the larger Princess ships.

BTW, when I was 18 I went on an extended voyage on the Rotterdam V. In my diary I put that the average age on board was "deceased".;)

The "old" HAL is definitely not the "new" HAL. HAL has literally become two cruise lines in one. The R and S class ships cater to the longer cruises and still have an older pax base. The vista class ships are larger, have discos and definitely are catering to the 7 day younger crowd.

With Princess if you book the Coral or Island Princess you will still get an older crowd. If you book the larger ships like the Star and Golden that you mentioned you will get a more varied age range - read younger.

BTW - I love BOTH lines and at anyone time either can be my current favorite based on itinerary and ship and my mood at the time.

I love Princess Cays but Half Moon Cay is nicer. They have many activities on the island. I personally book a cabana even though they are pricey because I burn very easily and need the shade time. However, I use the items that come with the cabana such as the floats, snorkel gear, lounge chairs, own private misters, a/c, fans, lounge chairs, fridge and non-alcoholic drinks and munchies.

Their shows at night have improved over the last few years and are almost comparable to Princess.

Do not know about the two Princess ships you spoke about, but my wife and I just returned from a cruise to Alaska aboard the Dawn Princess. It was my first time onboard a Princess ship and I was impressed. Lots going on, food was over the top. How we got off with only gaining a pound each is still a mystery. Only concern I would have if you have cruised HAL to Alaska is you would be seeing the same ports. Seems like we were either ahead or behind the same HAL ship during our cruise, so we were in some ports at the same time, like Sitka, Skagway, and Juneau.

Good luck.

ceb

Wow, thanks for all the info, it's much appreciated. To answer some of the questions:

-I got started on HAL back when I was a newbie cruiser, by chance I had gotten a brochere in the mail and didn't know any better at the time on how many other lines and options were out there.

-That prune cart is always outside the dining room on HAL ships, it's also got mints and toothpicks and other things. I've always noticed a line but never paid much attention to what people were taking.

-I'm not a show lounge person mainly because I don't want to show up an hour early for a decent seat. I swear people park themselves there the moment dinner ends. However, I've slipped into a couple of them at the last minute, they seemed ok to me but with nothing to compare them to....

-More than likely I will be booking some kind of suite and I will have quesions about it, I will start another thread for those questions. HAL's suites are priced way way too high, but I've been fine with the regular balcony staterooms.

Thanks again for all the help!!

My wife and I have both sailed HAL Oosterdam n Princess Star. IMO the differences are...

1. HAL's balcony cabins are nicer/bigger.

2. Princess balconies (caribe deck) are way bigger (HUGE!) and

are not 100% covered (we love SUNSHINE)

3. HAL's suites have butlers, Prin do not!

4. Princess suites have a curtain to seperate the bedroom, HAL do not.

5. HAL's average pax age is 65-68+. It may be younger on 7 days, and in

Carribean. Princess is much much, much younger...

6. HAL's dress code is slightly more upscale, Prin more casual

7. Prin activities are funkier, more high energy, niteclub is more crowded.

8. HAL's service n food is slighty better, but Pric has more dinner entree

choices.

9. Princess does not have sommeliers at dinner, not wine-friendly.

10. Princess buffets are 24 Hrs, hot tubs and pools are 24 Hrs

11. Princess, IMO, has more modern ships, upbeat decor.

Otherwise, everything is the SAME, IMO, a premuim product, just like X.

If cruising with my Mom, or an older pax, or looking for a quiet-rest exp, we prefer HAL

If just my wife and I, looking for more activities aimed at our age group, high energ sailing, we much prefer Princess.

Hope this helps...

JC

Toronto

Archived