Rate My Land Itinerary

GMoney

I'm looking for comments on my Alaska land itinerary, which starts Friday :eek:. Usually I'd plan more in advance, but there were some extenuating circumstances so I decided to turn 5 land days into 15 at the last minute. I'm picking up a friend on Day 10, so that's also why I'm a bit all over the place. Any comments would be appreciated.

NancyIL - I got a lot of great info from your recent review, so thanks for that!

Day 1 - Fly to Anchorage

Day 2 - Drive to Chitina and fly to McCarthy / Kennicott

Day 3 - Full day hike on Root Glacier

Day 4 - Fly to Chitina, drive to Valdez

Day 5 - Hike in Valdez

Day 6 - Ferry to Whittier, drive to Homer

Day 7 - Hike in Homer

Day 8 - Drive to Seward

Day 9 - Hike in Seward

Day 10 - Drive Seward Highway / Turnagain Arm to Anchorage

Day 11 - AKRR to Seward and Kenai Fjords cruise

Day 12 - McKinley Explorer to Denali

Day 13 - Denali: Shuttle Bus to Wonder Lake

Day 14 - McKinley Explorer to Anchorage

Day 15 - Board Radiance for 2 weeks.

I'm looking for comments on my Alaska land itinerary, which starts Friday :eek:. Usually I'd plan more in advance, but there were some extenuating circumstances so I decided to turn 5 land days into 15 at the last minute. I'm picking up a friend on Day 10, so that's also why I'm a bit all over the place. Any comments would be appreciated.

NancyIL - I got a lot of great info from your recent review, so thanks for that!

Day 1 - Fly to Anchorage

Day 2 - Drive to Chitina and fly to McCarthy / Kennicott

Day 3 - Full day hike on Root Glacier

Day 4 - Fly to Chitina, drive to Valdez

Day 5 - Hike in Valdez

Day 6 - Ferry to Whittier, drive to Homer

Day 7 - Hike in Homer

Day 8 - Drive to Seward

Day 9 - Hike in Seward

Day 10 - Drive Seward Highway / Turnagain Arm to Anchorage

Day 11 - AKRR to Seward and Kenai Fjords cruise

Day 12 - McKinley Explorer to Denali

Day 13 - Denali: Shuttle Bus to Wonder Lake

Day 14 - McKinley Explorer to Anchorage

Day 15 - Board Radiance for 2 weeks.

Patrick,

I was just going to say "NancyIL would give you some good input" since she took much of that route herself, but she won't be able to comment until you are gone since she is traveling until Friday.

I think you and I would travel well together - I really enjoy hiking too!

I am not familiar with the various hiking possibilities in Valdez or Homer (though I have heard Homer has some good hikes). It looks to me like Day 9 is a Saturday. If so, I would encourage you to do the Harding Icefield Hike. Park rangers do that on Saturdays - meet at the Exit Glacier visitor center at 9am, plan to be back about 4-4.30pm. The hike definitely goes a bit slower with a group but the ranger adds a lot of interesting tidbits about the park, the flowers, the park, etc.

As you know, it is a bit of backtracking to go to Seward after Homer then Denali then back to Seward but if it works for you, and especially if you can get the ranger-led hike in Seward that day, it could be worth it. If it gets too slow for you with the ranger, you can always go on ahead with no hard feelings by the ranger.

I trust you have your lodging worked out near Denali without a car.

If you can get an early shuttle to Wonder Lake, you will have up to 5 hours to do some hiking inside the park. A 5.30am shuttle from the park entrance gets you to Wonder Lake about 10.30am. The last shuttle to Wonder Lake leaves the park entrance about 11am (check the schedule at the WAC or on the web and bring a copy with you). So you can either hike the McKinley Bar Trail near Wonder Lake (2 hour easy hike to the river bar, the only formal trail inside the park) or get off the bus on the way back at a place you think you might enjoy. Last year I hiked around Stony Hill which was a nice hike but somewhat strenuous. You might not have enough time for that hike with max 5 hours before the last bus back to the entrance.

Funny you drive to Seward on Friday August 24. I depart on the Summit that day.

Have a great trip.

John

PS here is the link to the shuttle bus times.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visitor-transportation-system-bus-schedules.htm

Hi John - Thanks for all of your helpful comments. I will definitely look into the Harding Ice Field hike.

In Denali, I'm staying at the McKinley Chalet. I think they have a shuttle to the Denali Visitor Center, but as you know I need to get to the Wilderness Access Center. I think I've read a few posts here that you can cajole the shuttle drivers to stop at the WAC, but I confess I need to look into this more. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

The earliest shuttle I could get back to Wonder Lake is 715am. :( I think I'll check and see if there's any way to go earlier.

Have a great time on Summit; she is a beautiful ship!

I'm a little confused by Day 11...is it possible to take the train from Seward to Denali in one day? Or is this a bus?

I did a poor job of explaining this - sorry. On Day 11, I'm taking the AKRR RT from Anchorage to Seward, doing the Kenai Fjords cruise, then overnighting in Anchorage before going to Denali on the McKinely Explorer on Day 12.

Day 10 - Why go to Anchorage from Seward, then backtrack to the Kenai Fjords tour? I'd take the tour (all day one, not half), while you are there the first time. Nancy

Bad planning. :rolleyes: I originally started with a 5 day land tour (which includes a friend), and booked the Kenai Fjords tour. Then I ended up with some unexpected free time just for me, so I added 10 more days. The backtracking is not optimal, but let me accomplish what I want to do, and allows my friend (who comes later) see Kenai Fjords too.

Hi John - Thanks for all of your helpful comments. I will definitely look into the Harding Ice Field hike.

In Denali, I'm staying at the McKinley Chalet. I think they have a shuttle to the Denali Visitor Center, but as you know I need to get to the Wilderness Access Center. I think I've read a few posts here that you can cajole the shuttle drivers to stop at the WAC, but I confess I need to look into this more. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

The earliest shuttle I could get back to Wonder Lake is 715am. :( I think I'll check and see if there's any way to go earlier.

Have a great time on Summit; she is a beautiful ship!

The WAC and the visitor center are not far from each other - 1/2 mile max. And there is also a park-operated shuttle bus that runs between the two.

A 7.15am shuttle bus will still give you 2-3-4 hours to get off the shuttle bus, hike and get back on a later bus. Be sure to have a shuttle schedule with you (available at the WAC but they don't advertise it) or print one before you go. I love Denali. Note - you can use camper buses to return as well (also green). Usually they are much less crowded but have less commentary, especially on the return trip. Also fewer eyes to spot wildlife.

John

Archived