Seattle late flight home questions

Jett456

I intend to disembark our ship (Amersterdam) check luggage with pier concierge and just do some touristy things in the Pike Street, pier area. My question is since our flight doesn't leave until 11:50 pm will it be hard to get a cab at the pier around 8 or 9:00 pm. What time does the pier concierge stay open until? Is this a good idea?

In case anyone else wanted to know, the Concierge desk at pier 66 closes at 3:30pm. I called to ask and that was the info that was given. I think I will probably rent a car for the day. I hope it is safe to lock the luggage in the car and park it somewhere. Then we can use the car to drive back to the airport. Parking is free on Sundays (so I read). How is the traffic on Sunday in Seattle. I read about an underground tour and a ducks tour. Has anyone done either of these and are they worth it? I am thinking that since I will have a car it might be nice to do the winery tour. Has anyone done that? thanks for any input.

If you're worried about your bags, take a cab to the airport when you disembark and leave the bags with Ken's Baggage Service at Sea-Tac (unless your airline will allow you to check them early - unlikely but be sure to ask.) Then you can rent a car for the day and return it to the airport without security worries. I believe Ken's charges something like $5 per bag/day, so you might be able to get a smaller car and save some of the difference. Taxes on car rentals ex-SEA are higher than from downtown, but you'd be returning there anyway, so you're stuck.

Traffic will depend on which road you take, if there's a Mariners or Seahawks game downtown, and which direction on the I-5 freeway has access to the reversible "express" lanes - the other direction will be jammed through downtown. What are your travel dates?

The Underground and Ducks tours are fine for first-time visitors. I'm no big fan of either, but perhaps familiarity breeds contempt.

Be mindful that next to no wine grapes are grown in the Puget Sound region, and that the wineries are just that - no vinyards to speak of. Nice, but this is no Napa Valley.

You'll just have come back from Alaska, so if it were me I'd spend some city time rather than wandering off in search of countryside. Check out the wonderful new central Seattle library, the Museum of Flight, or the Museum of Glass in Tacoma, the Pike Market, Alki Beach, dinner at Ray's Boathouse at Shilshole Bay. Think about reserving a late brunch at Salty's on Alki ($$$ but killer view), things like that.

Hi! We had a late flight out of Seattle last Sunday 8/22. We planned on leaving our luggage at Pier 66, so from Pier 30 we took a cab down the road. We then found out it was $5.00 a bag, and the bags had to be picked up by 3:30. The man at the concierge desk was great. He suggested to rent a car instead. He said most of the rental cars were booked, but he called Budget and got us a full size car for $40 for the day. He said usually if you return it to the airport, they add on a $50 surcharge, but because he called, it was waived. My husband took a cab to get the car, Budget reimbursed him for the taxi. And within 20 minutes he was back & we got all our luggage in the car. We drove down to Pike's market (parking $5.00) spent some time there, drove around Seattle - saw the space needle, etc., then went out to the Museum of flight - very nice. That closed at 5pm. From there we went down International rd. (where all the airport hotels are) looking for a restaurant for dinner. We rode for about 15 minutes or so, and down by a mall found an Outback Steakhouse. So we had dinner and then went to the airport and relaxed until our plane boarded. It turned out great! Thinking back, I did see and Enterprise Rental van picking up people at our pier. So you could check with them to see what they would charge. It would save you a taxi fare to pier 66 - (run by the port of Seattle). We found Princess less than helpful with any kind of information, and they had no place to store luggage. Hope this helps a little. Beth :)

Archived