Shore Excursion - St Barts

I've never been at Manapany, but the best beach on St Barths is La Grande Saline -- provided that you are not too squeemish about a little nudity and don't mind a rocky & hilly path to get to the beach. The rewards of the crystal clear & warm water and of the soft white sand are worth the treck.

I'm not familiar with that particular shore excursion, but I'm quite familiar with St Barth's. My advice, if you are at all adventurous, is to rent a car for the day (you can pick one up in Gustavia, but book ahead), take a drive around the island, stopping for a leisurely lunch at Grand Cul de Sac beach, where there are several restos, my fave being Le Rivage. With a car, you can visit one or more beaches (one in a.m., one in p.m. if you are a "beach person"; or you can spend some time shopping at boutiques of St Jean Beach area or in Gustavia. Note, however, that the shops close midday.

Ligne St Barths is a local toiletries company that make some wonderful items as souvenirs. Great wines are relatively cheap on the island, and there are some lovely French items. Two shops for Cuban cigars....one in Gustavia, one in St Jean Beach area.

A bathing suit and coverup or pareo is all you need for restos, and you can use the beach at any of them.....even the pool if they have one.

Think tres chic but casual.

--Everyone's favorite beachside luncheon spot, Le Rivage, closed

last spring as did its adjoining hotel. Questions abound whether the property will be re-developed and become more upscale.

--You not only would need to be adventurous but brave to drive

in St Barth's, particularly if you don't know the island. It is very, very

hilly and the roads are narrow.

--If you're in the mood for a more relaxing day, I'd spend the morning

at a beach ...Shell Beach is a short taxi ride from town ..or a long walk.

..then into Gustavia [the capital] for lunch & shopping. The Le Ligne cosmetics are plentiful there.

--If you're in the mood for a more elegant day, I'd make a lunch reservation at one of the top hotels and enjoy a day on their beach.

--Perhaps others will comment, but I have not found taxis in St Barth's to be as plentiful or omnipresent as many other islands, so if you go far afield it may be good to arrange return pick-up.

Have a wonderful day in lovely St Barth's.

I can't speak to the specific resort (don't remember the name), but we have taken a Regent-sponsored beach escape on St. Barts and found it well worth the money. On an earlier trip we had attempted to 'go it alone,' and by the time we paid for cabs and attempted to rent beach chairs, we found ourselves spending a lot of money and missing out on the relaxation part of the beach. Our Regent beach escape included transportation, chairs, an excellent lunch, use of a pool, and clean, working restrooms, and was a delight. In addition, it was raining when the tender arrived onshore, and we were given the option of cancelling--something I have never seen on another line. We took our chances on the weather and were well rewarded. I'd say go for it!

Another alternative is to walk the few blocks to Shell Beach, which is lovely but which seems to be lacking in facilities.

Karen

In March we took the Elegant Beach Escape and enjoyed it very much. I can't remember the name of the resort now, but we really liked it. And the lunch was great. However, book early because only 18 people were allowed to book. Quite restricted in number.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

We have been to St Barts previously on day trips while staying on St Maartin and really love the island.

For those who have done or are familiar with this excursion: The lisiting indicates it is 5 hours do you remember what time it leaves and returns to the dock/ship?

Since the Navigator will be in port until 11:00 pm we thought the "Beach Escape" would be a fun way to spend the day. Then we would still have plenty of time for a nice evening meal in Gustavia.

Thanks again.

When we went to St. Bart's from our cruise, we also rented a car. Navigating the island was easy, and we got to check out several of the beaches, and we also inspected some of the nicer resorts for a possible future trip. However, you don't get to use the amenities of any of the resorts, so if that is important, the Regent excursion may be best for you.

Archived