Sapphire Beach Review

Sandytoes

there were jet skis for rent right on the beach at Sapphire when we were there. I guess it depends on the numbers but we rented one from someone right there. Also had snorkel equip rental available. I don't snorkel but the rest of the family did and had a great time.

If you want to jet ski first thing you can have the taxi drop you on the side of the parking lot that is closest to the marina rather than right in front of the hotel lobby/closest path to the beach. There are one or two jet ski operators at the marina and they have people there that can help you. For parasailing, I don't know that they have a person there, so you may have to book at the watersports booth on the beach or book with the parasailing company directly so they are meeting you at the marina at a set time. If its parasailing you want call the company and find out the details beforehand. For other watersports like kayaks, windsurfing, snorkeling... those are all at the watersports booth on the beach.

--Islander

Havensight to Sapphire is $10 pp, ow, takes about 20 minutes in low/medium traffic.

Crown Bay to Sapphire is $11 pp, ow, takes about 30-35 minutes in low/medium traffic.

With traffic driving times will be longer, more ships means more traffic.

--Islander

• 4 weeks later...

I booked with Godfrey Tours for Dec 13th and I told him I wanted Megan's Bay but now I definitely want Sapphire Beach.:) Thank you for all your input we appreciate all the info.

We just recently did the same thing with Godfrey to Sapphire Beach. The beach is very nice & the snorkeling was OK. It is a little rocky but I never had a problem without water shoes (forgot to pack them). Some people wanted to go to Coki Beach, but when we got to the beach, they all changed their minds after arriving there. The whole truck load of us went to Sapphire Beach, which was my first choice.

Thanks for the info. We are looking for a beautiful beach to enjoy and we are big with snorkeling.

So I should skip Coki Beach and head to Sapphire instead?

Both beaches are nice, but we prefer Sapphire.

Coki Beach

8-12CokiBeachYellowTailFish.jpg

8-12-06CokiBeachSteveFeedingFish.jpg

Sapphire Beach

DSCN0953Tangfish.jpg

DSCN0953b.jpg

We loved our day at Sapphire in 2006 and plan on returning there in May. When we were there before there was a grill where we could get hamburgers & hot dogs, chips, etc but the restaurant was closed. Is the grill still open and has the restaurant reopened? Are there any gift shops there still? Thanks!:)

We just booked with Sunny Liston tours. We are going to be dropped off at Sapphire beach also. It looks so beautiful. This will be our first trip. Seeing these pictures make me really excited. Thanks for posting them.

We loved our day at Sapphire in 2006 and plan on returning there in May. When we were there before there was a grill where we could get hamburgers & hot dogs, chips, etc but the restaurant was closed. Is the grill still open and has the restaurant reopened? Are there any gift shops there still? Thanks!:)

I think it was open for business, not really sure, being we headed right towards the beach and parked it. :p

Beach is beautiful but be careful of the very large ant like bugs. Also, getting out of the water is a little tricky for older folks. You sorta have to crawl out.

:rolleyes: Not this place, maybe you're confused with Grand Turk.

We saw ducks and Iguanas that's about it.

If you read my review, I did state to bring watershoes.

Coral is hard on the feet.

Which makes it a little bit tricky getting in \ out of water.

No need to "crawl" out. :rolleyes:

Well we where just there,the beach is nice but rocky in a lot of spots and yes it is very nice,they charge $7 for lounges.the tour Sunny does is nice,yes big red bugs all over the beach,but they said they dont bite ???

Well we where just there,the beach is nice but rocky in a lot of spots and yes it is very nice,they charge $7 for lounges.the tour Sunny does is nice,yes big red bugs all over the beach,but they said they dont bite ???

The rocks in the water are the great snorkeling sites. That's where the fish hang out! There are lots of large sandy areas for the non-snorkelers. In the picturess that were posted the dark areas in the water are the rocky areas for snorkeling - the lighter areas are sandy.

We never saw any big bugs. We were there in April. Hopefully they won't be moving in by May!:eek:

The snorkeling pics are beautiful at Sapphire Beach, is this the norm, or did you just get lucky?

Would love to get some great snorkeling in without having to book a sailing trip if possible.

How far out did you swim and in which direction for the better snorkeling?

Sunny Az Girl - there is a grill called Banana Cabana between two of the condo buildings on the beach. Very short walk from the shoreline. They have burgers and hot dogs and sodas/water. The restaurant reopened and then closed again. The gift shop closed too.

Cathyoo's comment about getting out of the water for older folks is because the water deepens quickly on the sandy side. Not too bad but if the knees and legs aren't as strong as they used to be stepping up or down on an uneven surface of soft sand in water might be easier in somewhat of a crawl position. ;)

Sandy... rocky... If you were standing at the watersports booth on the beach which is sort of in the middle then on the left its largely sandy, on the right its sandy a ways and then small pebbles and then all pebbles and rocks. So you've got both. To enter for snorkeling you need to go the sandy route and then swim to and along the rocks/reef. Walking on top of the shallow rocky/reef area is not the way to go. Coral and marine life, some very small, are fragile and stepping on them destoys what you came to see. There is a map just in front of the watersports booth that shows the rock/reefs and entry points; if in doubt ask at the watersports booth. Generally if you look for a small rock outcrop right on the sandy shore; you can enter right by it and then swim toward the shallow rocky area for snorkeling and out to the point if you want to go out that far.

The red ant looking bugs on the beach are called 'love bugs' because they are often hooked together in pairs. The correct name is pyrrhocorid bug. They can be found on pretty much all the beaches on St. Thomas, not so much on the beach itself but by the treeline. If you see them just step around them and let them be. Hard to miss since they are red and black, here is a photo of a group of them http://www.onlivingbylearning.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/lovebug.jpg and a pair http://www.kingsnake.com/westindian/dysdercussanguineusneglectus1.JPG.

cruzobsessed - there are some seagrape trees for natural shade. Not a whole lot of trees on the sandier side, there are some primarily on the right side when facing the water. The left side is mostly open with a few trees.

Stunned - Sapphire has a good size area for snorkeling, and there is diversity in what you see. There are sea grass beds on the left side (when facing the water) and there are fish in there and the possibility of seeing marine life that like sea grass such as conch, also turtles - but neither is a guarantee. On the right side there are rocky outcrops and also a large shallow rock/reef area with a lot of juvenile fish and further out deeper areas with coral, seafans and various fish. The closer snorkeling around the rocks and over sea grass beds are good for beginner adult and kids with assistance from adult. The very shallow areas should be avoided if you aren't very comfortable snorkeling and are not a very good swimmer because it is quite shallow and you need to stay floating/swimming parallel to the rocks to avoid possibly hurting yourself on the rocks and damaging coral and marine life by bumping or standing on them. Best bet is to snorkel around the ledges of the shallow area and stay in a regular depth of water; you'll see fish along the ledges and under them. You can go out toward and around the point of the peninsula, it’s very good snorkeling but it’s fairly deep and there is a current so keep that in mind.

--Islander

The snorkeling pics are beautiful at Sapphire Beach, is this the norm, or did you just get lucky?

Would love to get some great snorkeling in without having to book a sailing trip if possible.

How far out did you swim and in which direction for the better snorkeling?

I snorkeled to the right of the beach where the Sea Grape trees are.

c897d47a.jpg

My DH snorkeled further out on the right side of the beach

DSCN0933b.jpg

You can say we got lucky.

Especially when we saw the Sea Turtle.

(Posted earlier)

Here's a little hint - bring rolls with you.

Fish love them! ;)

Bread/rolls are not part of marine animals’ natural diet. Feeding them such items can create health issues and digestion problems as well as disrupt their normal feeding. Help protect the marine environment and natural resources of the island by enjoying them without doing possible damage. More on not feeding fishes at http://www.reefrelief.org/science_body4.html.

--Islander

Sandytoes... did you like saphire beach better than Coki beach for snorkeling? I have done a few snorkeling trips and I would LOVE to just walk in from the beach!

Let me know this will be my 1st time in St. Thomas!

Thanks...

Sandytoes... did you like saphire beach better than Coki beach for snorkeling? I have done a few snorkeling trips and I would LOVE to just walk in from the beach!

Let me know this will be my 1st time in St. Thomas!

Thanks...

I enjoyed Sapphire better because of the beautiful beach.

Less crowded then Coki.

The scenery was breath-taking.

Enjoy your visit.

Any other questions, let me know.

Archived