11pm Tropical Storm Dean Update

kbd0627

The projected path puts in hitting Cancun and/or Cozumel.............just what they need.......they JUST recovered from the last hurricane...........

And it looks like it's going through Jamaica & Grand Cayman to get there. There goes our cruise in November.

And it looks like it's going through Jamaica & Grand Cayman to get there. There goes our cruise in November.

At least you've got some time that's passed....we are supposed to BE in Jamaica on our cruise on Wednesday and finish off with Grand Cayman and Cozumel. :( I doubt there's going to be much left when we get there....:confused: Maybe we'll get lucky and the Cat 4 will be downgraded. :cool:

Wed 11pm update Tropical Storm Dean. I sure hope it speeds up and gets through western carib. before Tuesday.

You do know that the faster it goes the more damage it does, right? :confused:

You do know that the faster it goes the more damage it does, right? :confused:

That's not always true. We're talking about the speed of its track, not the speed of the circling winds. The problem a couple of years ago in Cozumel was that the hurricane just sat there and kind of went back and forth and caused MUCH more damage than if it had just blown through like most of them do. Slow moving storms almost always do more damage - if not the continuous rain, it's the continuous wind.

BTW, the damage in Cozumel still hasn't been repaired when we were done there last year. They didn't expect to have everything repaired for another couple of years. The biggest problem people will notice is that no longer are the ships able to dock there. The pier was torn up and all cruise ships have to tender people in. Maybe they've been able to get some of it repaired to allow one of two ships to dock by now.

The only Pier that is not open is Puerto Maya (Carnivals Pier), International and Punta Langosta are both open.

While it is true that some ships will be Fondeo (anchored in the harbor), many ships are able to dock at a pier now.

Let's hope the storm track changes and it spins out into the Atlantic. If not, there will be little of Jamaica, GC or Cozumel to see. Perhaps, due to the damage, alternate ports will be called on instead?

Just saw a hurricane expert on the news this morning that says their new computer model (which is the most reliable) is showing that Dean will be changing course and turning north once in the Gulf, possibly bypassing Cozumel and the Yucatan Peninsula and heading towards the western Gulf. Gulp! That means Texas! Well, we left for Rita and getting back was a fiasco. :eek: We will be battening down the hatches and riding this one out I think! (And of course this is all just educated guesses at this point anyway.)

We were in Cozumel in mid-April 2006 and again in late November 2006 and the difference in those few months was remarkable. We tendered in April, docked in November. The trees and stores were mostly back to normal by November. Looking forward to being back in September. Hope Mother Nature cooperates!

It's not likely that Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel will all be hurt bad enough to stop cruses from calling... other ports in the Western Caribbean are Belize, Costa Maya, Progresso and Key West. Sometimes they switch to the port rich eastern caribbean/bahamas area if they have to.

Someone here at work is leaving this Saturday for western caribbean. Their ports are Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios.

They got a call from Carnival saying that the "hurricane path has not shifted in our favour" and they would keep them updated.

In this sort of case, would Carnival be more likely to cancel the cruise or just deviate to other ports that they know would be safe?

In this sort of case, would Carnival be more likely to cancel the cruise or just deviate to other ports that they know would be safe?

They're saying they're just going to change ports. I Highly doubt they would give up that huge amount of money and cancel a cruise.

Someone here at work is leaving this Saturday for western caribbean. Their ports are Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios.

They got a call from Carnival saying that the "hurricane path has not shifted in our favour" and they would keep them updated.

The cruise that I went on October 15,2005 on the Carnival Valor was scheduled to go Western Carribean, but Hurricane Wilma had other plans. When we got on board they gave us a piece of paper telling us our cruise plans for the week, which was Eastern Carribean instead.

They're saying they're just going to change ports. I Highly doubt they would give up that huge amount of money and cancel a cruise.

Now let's hope the flights make it to the embarkation port (in time for sailing). I know that my coworker booked her flights separate from Carnival and booked (in spite of what I advised her) SAILING DAY flights.

Now let's hope the flights make it to the embarkation port (in time for sailing). I know that my coworker booked her flights separate from Carnival and booked (in spite of what I advised her) SAILING DAY flights.

Thankfully we'll be arriving the day before. Heck, if the cruise is cancelled I still get to hang in Florida for a week which isn't half bad.

Shike, that's a GREAT attitude about the whole thing. I wish Miss Doom and Gloom here (read "coworker") was more like that. Gawd she's driving me nuts. I'll personally reroute that ship to make sure she's on it! LOL

(Sorry that was a tad selfish there wasn't it?):o

My son and DIL live in Houston and I live in Dallas. We are booked on the Carnival Spirit leaving next Wednesday from Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise.

My son and DIL are now concerned about the possiblity of Dean hitting Houston while they are gone. Hopefully we will know by the weekend the potential path and if it is Houston, we have a decision to make.

Those nasty things can even effect Alaskan cruises!

Let's all pray that it just dies out - not likely, huh?

I'm having the same issue in Houston. We leave 8/25 on the Esctacy. Dean should be chosing a destination in Tx around that time. I would hate to be on a cruise while my house is getting shredded. But...I guess that's what insurance is for.... lol burn baby burn!

I'm having the same issue in Houston. We leave 8/25 on the Esctacy. Dean should be chosing a destination in Tx around that time. I would hate to be on a cruise while my house is getting shredded. But...I guess that's what insurance is for.... lol burn baby burn!

Tell your neighbors when you return that you enjoyed the evacuation. When they look at you cross eyed, say "what? didn't you get taken to

a cruise ship too?"

Archived