JUST WONDERING: When do your kids start school? Before of after Labor Day???

momofmn00

Just curious as to when your kids (or just local school if you kids are too young, etc) start school? Do you start before of after Labor day??? :confused:

My kids just started yesterday~AUGUST 15th!:eek: (A LITTLE EARLY, I KNOW!) The Govenor of our state passed a bill earlier this year saying the schools in MO couldn't start earlier than 10 days before Labor Day (but since this years school calendar already approved, it was ignored!)

Anyway, this school schedule makes our cruising harder to schedule around school. We start mid-Aug and end lat May. Summer school (for advancement=extra) is all month June...and hence 6 weeks off (July + 2 weeks Aug) for cruising......:eek: Our district doesn't really get alot of breaks off either. No fall break, one week for Christmas/New ?Years and One week for Spring Break....

Before - my son starts on Aug 20 - this Monday. These past few years, it was more around Aug 3 or 4, but then Florida passed a similar bill to yours, pushing it down, which is how it always was back when I was in school here.

Usually around the 25th or so...last year we had 9:eek: make up snow days though...so we got out June 2nd (and should have been later :eek: but district had Summer School scheduled for June 6th~so School had to be out by then......!!!:eek: )

My three kids started Aug. 8 in Gilbert, AZ. The date has been creeping back (earlier) over the last 7 years. They do get a full week in October for fall break (which is a nice time to travel). They get out the Thursday before Memorial Day, usually.

Other than the shock factor, I don't really mind them starting early -- by this time of year in AZ we've had plenty of time in the pool, and everything else is too hot! (It's predicted to be 110 today):(

My sister's son in Chandler AZ actually started July 23!!!:eek: His school is on a modified year-round. They get 2+ weeks in October, 2 weeks for spring break in March, and still get out when we do. IMO, this is great for traveling, not so great for people with child-care issues.

I grew up in CA where we always started the day after Labor Day and didn't get out until mid-June. But I'd rather be out of school when everyone else isn't.

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

My three kids started Aug. 8 in Gilbert, AZ. The date has been creeping back (earlier) over the last 7 years. They do get a full week in October for fall break (which is a nice time to travel). They get out the Thursday before Memorial Day, usually.

Other than the shock factor, I don't really mind them starting early -- by this time of year in AZ we've had plenty of time in the pool, and everything else is too hot! (It's predicted to be 110 today):(

My sister's son in Chandler AZ actually started July 23!!!:eek: His school is on a modified year-round. They get 2+ weeks in October, 2 weeks for spring break in March, and still get out when we do. IMO, this is great for traveling, not so great for people with child-care issues.

I grew up in CA where we always started the day after Labor Day and didn't get out until mid-June. But I'd rather be out of school when everyone else isn't.

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Yeah...I've heard the modified year-round school would be great for vacationing...but not so good for working parents........:rolleyes:

Wisconsin has a law that no school can start until after Labor Day. It was because of the resorts in Door County and the Dells that needed their high school workers to work through Labor Day.

Yes, Plus supposedly that seems to help out with tourism since more families would travel thorugh Labor Day...:)

• Administrators

If you are just soliciting info, I can add that our district (like most, but not all of them in the Atlanta metropolitan area) started school this last Monday (Aug. 13) and the students get out the Friday before Memorial Day. We get 1/2 week at Thanksgiving, two weeks for Christmas/New Year's, and one week in April as spring break. You didn't ask, but YES, the haul from January 4th or so to April 7th or so is LONG! :)

My niece and nephew in South Georgia started school July 31, but they have a modified year-round -- they have a week-long fall break, two weeks at Christmas/New Year's, a week of "winter" break, and a week of "spring break" before getting out around June 10.

To the OP, how many days in school are mandated by your state's laws? Here it's 180 instructional days -- your dates make it seem like Missouri requires more if between mid-Aug and the end of May you only have two weeks of vacation. Sometimes it's that requirement that affects what the local district can actually DO in terms of scheduling.

We only need 174 attendence days...although they tend to throw in a few fridays as teacher inservice days....(although this doesn't help with vacationing!!!!:confused: ) and I guess this year it looks like we will be getting almost 2 weeks off (9 days):eek: for winter break!!!!!

My son isn't actually in school yet but I do remember from all of my years that school always started two days after Labor Day. We got out about the second week in June.

It seems really strange to start school in the middle of August to me. I think they are throwing in more 'in-service days" and "snow days" so it seems that kids are going later into June than they used to.

Cheryl

My grandkids here in Nebr. got out May 20 and start Aug. 20, which is a few days later than last year. Usually they get out about May 25, but we had hardly any snow days this year.

If I ruled the world (grin!) schools whould be required to be out by Memorial Day and not start until after Labor Day. School in summer is just so wrong!

We're also in the Atlanta area and my older girls went back Monday, Aug. 13th. The get out the Friday before Memorial Day. It's awful-we are in the middle of a heat wave and it's too darned hot to walk home in the afternoons.

We started on the 15th too. Get out before Memorial Day though. We plan a trip to Disneyland immediately after Mem Day in hopes that the crowds won't be quite so bad.

Yeah, usually we get out a day or two before Memorial Day, except in the case of last year when we had a rough winter and ended up having 9 snow/ice days to make up!!!:eek: (I know...but you can't have school when there's NO electricity all week!!)

We live in Massachusetts. My kids start back Aug 29th this year, and if we have no snow days I think they get out on June 14th? (roughly)

They have a few days at Thanksgiving, and about 10 days at Xmas break. 5 days in Feb and 5 days in April.

I would love to eliminate the Feb vacation, and have them not start back up until after Labor Day. Feb vacation is the worst. It's too darn cold and snowy to do anything constructive at home but sit inside and drive each other crazy, and it's too expensive to get a flight to fly somewhere warm.

So it's just an expensive week for me, since I work full time, and my son goes to YMCA day camp. My daughter does volunteer work that week, but I'd just rather have them both in school.

I'm also in Missouri. We go to school year round so we started on July 19. Only five more weeks of school until we're on our three week break = cruise time! :D We almost always vacation in October. Only bad thing is now that DD is in middle school they don't go year round so she only gets one week off, that is the week we'll be cruising.

The Los Angeles school district's schedule is from the day after Labor Day until the third week of June, except for year round schools and charter schools that decided to be on a different track. Two years ago, there was talk about moving the start date to mid-August so that kids will have more schooling before the state tests in May. I wrote to the board members (and hopefully others did too) that to start the school year in August means that kids will be out on the playground in 100-degree plus heat (at least where we live, it doesn't cool off until October) for many days. Either there's a risk of heat stroke, or kids will have to stay indoors during these days. Fortunately, that idea was tabled.

Our local high school is a charter school and starts the school year in mid-August. I'm hoping that changes in the next four years before my girl is old enough to go there.

Our breaks are three weeks in late December/early January and the week before Easter.

Archived