Share Your Hurricane Horror Story

melgray13

Why would anyone book a cruise in August/September in the middle of Hurricane Season? I've cruised many times (always between January-April) and its always been smooth sailing in the Caribbean. :-)

----------------------------------------------------------

Caribbean Princess (2008) - pregnant????

Norwegian Pearl (2007) - got married!!!

Royal Caribbean Radiance (2007) - got engaged!!!

Celebrity Infinity (2006) - singles cruise

Disney Wonder (2002) - with the family

Carnival Fantasy - my first cruise

OMG, that is awful. I am so sorry about your dogs. And I am so sorry for your losses. I really hate hearing this kind of stuff. I makes me feel so sad

Thank you for the kind words. As long as the kids were ok, that made it easier to get through the rough times ahead.

Returned to FLL from cruise just in time Wilma. No flights, no rental cars.

Fortunately, we were staying at quaint 50's brick deco place on beach. Very little damage. The larger hotels next door were required by corporate to send all their guests to a shelter after they lost power and water. We were good..the manager of our place said "if you want to stay, stay, I'm not sending you to the shelter". His roof was still intact, but no power or water.

Walked around and saw puzzled vacationers from Holiday Inn, Howard Johnsons..etc. with luggage in hand..walking over the bridge.

And we did stay..didn't get a flight out for a 6 days. Got FEMA ice, one of the other guests was local and made a supermarket run on day 4..got some canned goods and booze, nothing fresh. All was good. I Consider ourselves very lucky. But next time, I'm traveling with some MREs and a car charger for the cell phone.

I almost hate to say it..but 'roughing it' for 6 days at that little resort, with great guests and manager, was one of the highlights of the trip. Excellent group of people. Every one shared and we pitched in for clean up, made Chile on the grill with donated stuff from neighbors and a seafood casserole with mayo, crackers, spices and caned shrimp/crab. The sky was beautiful and clear, the stars brilliant and the weather was nice and cool after the storm.

We were damn lucky. Very lucky.

hi all...end september 2005....we had planned for this cruise on the rhapsody of the seas, out of galveston..to visit...key west, cozumel, and grand cayman. as we were packing to leave the phila area wilma was parked over cozumel; as she left mexico she headed for key west. we boarded in texas and were told that all of our ports were cancelled, and that we would be going to ocho rios and progreso. the first day travelling in the gulf was the worst...barf bags on the railings and in the stairwells...we stayed in bed and tried to sleep through the seasickness. the voyages greatly improved and on our next cruise we lost out on a visit to st thomas because of another hurricane. out third cruise was in april 2007....i guess that we learned about hurricane season.

but, there are such bargain$ whem you take a cruise in the autumn.

jeff

Sorry, O/T, but I just gotta say...Wow! You pictures are absolutely breathtaking! Are you a professional photog? I would like to know what type of camera you have.

I was on Carnival Fascination during Hurricane Katrina. We returned to Miami going half speed from Cozumel. This gave us an extra day at sea. The second to the last day the water was a bit rough with some heavy rain at times. I love the gentle rocking of the ship and love to look at the waves. Yes, I'm the storm chaser type. Here is a link to pictures from the cruise: (hope this works) 440185091ggtpNq_th.jpg

I am booked on the same ship for the Aug 27th 2007 cruise. Looks like Hurricane Dean should not be a problem for me. There's still time for new storms to form. I don't mind an itinerary change but hope a storm does not close the port of Miami for the start of my cruise.

August 27 1988 my honeymoon it was a wicked hurricane and we made it,

October of 2001 hurricane in Bermuda I rememeber walking down the halls

and falling into someones room they had the door open I dont know how

and they got mad I fell into the room, we had a room in the very front of the ship so we had a big window and they had hanging lights I dont know exactly where they were hung from but lights you would put on a patio but bigger

so anyway they one by one fell and blew out and smacked off our window

I was more scared of that then the storm, we had a tug boat hold the ship

and it was amazing how that little boat did its work.

My mother cruised the Rotterdam many many years ago and her and my dad would go in novemeber every year and would hit wild storms too, they and we all made it so you will too, dont worry too much, have a good time and they

will take care ofyou :)

Archived