Heading to Jamacia, Cayman, Mexico 8/19 whats in-store?

lilbert

Just found this on another site.

Looks like they are cutting out Jamaica and will be spending 3 days at sea.

7 days departing August 19, 2007

They will leave out of Galveston and be at sea 3 days then onto Grand Cayman then go to Cozumel then back to Galveston.

Actually it will not be a bad cruise.

It's been my experience that Carnival doesn't tell passengers about itinerary changes until that absolutely have to. We sailed the Conquest right behind Wilma in 2005. We were watching Wilma beat Cozumel to a pulp on TV the day before boarding. We asked them at check-in where we would be going instead of Cozumel? The agents at the check-in desk had the audacity to tell us that there wasn't any itinery change and we would still be going to Cozumel. We couldn't believe our ears! I tried to explain to them, nicely, that I wasn't stupid, and I KNEW we weren't going to Cozumel and just wanted to know where we would be going, instead? They stood firm by their story.

It was strange that we were all checked in before anyone was allowed aboard the ship. We were all sitting on the floor in the Galveston terminal because there wasn't enough chairs for 3,000 pax. It was weird, us all sitting on the floor while the check in desk was empty, just waiting for them to allow us onboard.

Then just before they let us start filing aboard they passed around a handout that said we would be spending an extra sea day instead of stopping at Cozumel. What a surprise!? I thought it was convenient that everyone was checked in before they gave anyone the handout. I still think they knew we wouldn't be stopping in Coz, but had orders not to tell any of us.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Conquest pax don't find out where they're going until just before they get on the ship. JMO

---Bruce

I wouldn't be surprised if the Conquest pax don't find out where they're going until just before they get on the ship. JMO---Bruce
FWIW Carnival seems to be better prepared this year in handling this situation than what you experienced. And since you were likely typing your post while I was posting mine, you may not have seen that they posted the change at 5 pm today; 48 hours before departure.;)

Carnival updated their site as of 5 pm eastern:

Carnival Conquest August 19 departure - The ship will visit Grand Cayman and Cozumel as scheduled, but the call in Montego Bay will be cancelled.

So we got shafted a port! Isnt the Caymans near Jamacia? And isnt the storm due into Cozumel?

Thanks! Just what we wanted to do stay at sea for 3 whole days!

So we got shafted a port! Isnt the Caymans near Jamacia? And isnt the storm due into Cozumel?

It sounds to me like you are going into this situation with the attitude that Carnival is responsible for this hurricane. I can guarantee, they aren;t any happier than you are, and they will not "shaft" you. I am sure they will abide by the terms and conditions of your cruise contract.

Your choice is to accept the changes they make or not sail, and forfeit your payment. That, wold be giving yourself the shaft.

Your choice is to accept the changes they make or not sail, and forfeit your payment. That, wold be giving yourself the shaft.
Actually, the choices are accept the changes or cancel within 24 hours of the notification for full refund, no penalty. Tick tock, tick tock.......

I hate to say this but...Jamaica...Grand Caymen....Cozumel....(anything on the Yucatan) is toast....This will be worse than Wilma and probably like Gilbert....If the path holds the way it is now...ships won't be going to any of these areas for some time.....Predictions of wind speed is 195 mph maybe by the time it hits Jamaica.....

If you are a person of faith...say a prayer for them...they are going to need it......

Royal is also attempting to put its Galveston ship in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman. So both lines must be seeing the same things:o what that is..I havent a clue.

Ships sailing from the Port of Galveston

Rhapsody of the Seas will depart the Port of Galveston Sunday, August 19, as scheduled. The ship will sail a modified itinerary with port calls in Key West, Florida, Tuesday; Georgetown, Cayman Islands, Thursday; and Cozumel, Mexico, Friday; before returning to the Port of Galveston as scheduled, Sunday. The ship's itinerary is subject to change based on possible storm-related damage to the Cayman Islands and Mexico. Should the aftermath of Hurricane Dean prevent the ship from visiting these locations, alternative ports of call would be sought. As weather conditions involving the storm are constantly changing, guests booked on this sailing are asked to continue monitoring these updates to receive the latest information. Guests also may contact Royal Caribbean at 1-800-327-6700 to receive these updates.

frankly, I don't care where we go. I'm out to have a good time. They've already cancelled Jamaica for us, and it's possible there will be more changes. I'm just hoping that if we go into any ports, we see some sun. I'm absolutely sure we'll have a great time.

Good luck to all who are traveling this weekend.

birdofsong

Lilbert, unfortunately, that is the gamble you take when you book a cruise, especially in the height of hurricaine season. My best friends took a cruise, and no storms anywhere ... but they still were not able to stop in Cozumel due to waters too choppy for a tender. I have also cruised when Coz had to be dropped for the same reason, and there were no storms.

This is a big storm and packing a whallop! Just be thankful you have the ability and means to take a cruise, and enjoy yourself. And, by all means, remember the people caught in the path of the storm with a prayer or two before you lay your head down to sleep.

Granny

Those cruise lines with ships in Galveston are crazy to think they'll still be going to Coz, Cayman & Jamaica -- after this blob goes through those islands, ships won't be able to go there for several months! Does anyone remember what Ivan and Wilma did to Cayman and Coz -- I do -- both places were a HORRIBLE MESS!

We were supposed to fly to Cayman THE SAME DAY IVAN arrived -- Prior to the strike, I kept hoping we could go a "few days late" but that was impossible!! -- government did not allow any visitors into Cayman for nearly a month -- the place we were to stay was nearly destroyed (seas got so high that it left 5 ft. of sand INSIDE the condo)!! Another condo bldg we had stayed in twice previously had one wall knocked down & whole bldg had to be torn down!!

Ivan was projected to pass OVER Jamaica & OVER Cayman Brac, but instead changed his mind & bumped along southerly coast of J & went straight for Grand Cayman, which is where the residents & tourisits from Cayman Brac went for shelter!

Wilma destroyed all of the cruise ship docks at Coz -- she nearly wiped out Chankanaab!!

I hate to say this but...Jamaica...Grand Caymen....Cozumel....(anything on the Yucatan) is toast....This will be worse than Wilma and probably like Gilbert....If the path holds the way it is now...ships won't be going to any of these areas for some time.....Predictions of wind speed is 195 mph maybe by the time it hits Jamaica.....

If you are a person of faith...say a prayer for them...they are going to need it......

I agree - I feel horrible for them. My mom called and asked will the western caribbean be ok by the time be go in 38 days after it hit and I said not likely.

I doubt many of these places will have power for weeks. What is making me nervous is the storm is starting to slow down - if Dean get down to 12 mph forward speed the damage will be even worse for the islands.

I think Cozumel was closed down for three months after wilma if not longer. Now Wilma was a Cat 4 and was only moving 4mph forward speed.

I think Cozumel was closed down for three months after wilma if not longer. Now Wilma was a Cat 4 and was only moving 4mph forward speed.

Cozumel was hit Oct 22nd, 2005 by Wilma after being struck earlier in the year by Emily. The first cruise shop returned to Cozumel Nov 14th, 2005. They did a remarkable job at recovering from the initial damage but still had a lot of residual damage to fix. The first flights from the US resumed on Dec 16th, 2005.

Dave

Cozumel was hit Oct 22nd, 2005 by Wilma after being struck earlier in the year by Emily. The first cruise shop returned to Cozumel Nov 14th, 2005. They did a remarkable job at recovering from the initial damage but still had a lot of residual damage to fix. The first flights from the US resumed on Dec 16th, 2005.

Dave

Wow I thought it was three months.

I love your attitude, I still say, there's lots of food to be eaten, fun to be had, on and on and on! :)

We leave out of Tampa on Sunday. As long as we are able to get on the boat I don't care where we go from there. We will consider it a mystery cruise.:D

Wow I thought it was three months.

More tidbits.

The first thing they did was cut off ALL alcohol sales. People on the ferries from the mainland were searched and any alcohol was confiscated.

The second thing was to pay the people by the hour to help clean up the town.

Those businesses who did not lay anyone off later received a unexpected bonus from the Mexican government as appreciation.

Dave

we are set to sail on Conquest tomorrow. I am revolted by Carnivals's customer service and the ignorance of their CSRs. One claimed not know there was a hurricane, ne said the hurricane was not going to hit Cayman or Cozumel!

We are going after much discussion as we would not be able to get time off from school until December.

I am really worried, no terrified....but won't let my kids know. I am all smiles and keep talking about the "great adventure" we will have.

WHY can't Carnival take us to Key West and Bahamas like RC? No more carnival for us after this.

we are set to sail on Conquest tomorrow. I am revolted by Carnivals's customer service and the ignorance of their CSRs. One claimed not know there was a hurricane, ne said the hurricane was not going to hit Cayman or Cozumel!

We are going after much discussion as we would not be able to get time off from school until December.

I am really worried, no terrified....but won't let my kids know. I am all smiles and keep talking about the "great adventure" we will have.

WHY can't Carnival take us to Key West and Bahamas like RC? No more carnival for us after this.

Keep in mind that things are still subject to change for you once you get on the ship as they evaluate what is going on. You can still have a great cruise if you set your mind to it.

Dave

Archived