Travelocity Flights ~ Review

UpstateCruizer

We booked flights for August 3rd & August 12th through Travelocity mainly due to the ability to fly early morning and the cost was much cheaper than anything we had been able to get by booking direct with airlines. After booking I was nervous as I found several complaints about travelocity's customer service. Between that and the fact that we had booked consolidator flights it was unsettling to know we could be in trouble if anything went wrong. Our flights to Miami from Syracuse were both on Us Air. The first one left on time and the second one out of Phl was slightly delayed. We enjoyed the airport in Philadelphia as this was our first time connecting there. We arrived into Miami within 15 minutes of our scheduled arrival time. Getting luggage and a taxi was quick and painless. Many people stood around the baggage belt struggling to figure out which suitcases were theirs. Thanks to the kind posters on this board we easily identified our bags with the stand out zipper ties and the bright green duct tape. Our return flights were American Airlines to JFK and then Delta for a prop plane back to Syracuse. Arriving in Miami at the kioseks for those that have checked in proved confusing but I wanted to be sure that our bags were tagged to go to Syracuse on Delta. They were and off we went to American Airlines terminals. We waited and shortly before boarding we were told they were waiting for our crew to arrive. Since we were delayed boarding we knew we still needed to be at JFK within 4 hours to get our connecting flight. As we were heading to the run way the pilot announced we had no oil pressure and a maintainence crew was headed out. We then were sent back to a gate for more maintainence. They needed an oil sensor and weren't sure if they could locate one but were trying. The pilot came back on and assured us they found the part and we "should" be in the air within an hour. They gave us the option to stay on the plane or to go to the gate area where we could purchase food or drink. The gate had a supervisor waiting to assist us with our connection on Delta since we would not make our scheduled connection. He changed us to a later flight giving us a few more hours. We made it to JFK and were delayed as we had to be towed in due to ramp damage. No idea what this meant but it meant more waiting since the tow was on the other side of the airport. We made it inside and Delta confirmed we had 2 seats and would be on an RJ which was a relief. Security for Delta was a breeze with a very short line. When it came time to board the plane we were told we had to wait and our times had been changed. They did this twice before we finally got to board. Once on board we sat and waited and waited. The one Comair attendant was incredible in entertaining us and provided water and snacks while we waited. There were 17 plains ahead of us before we could even taxi to the runway. We spent close to 2 hours waiting to get into the air for a 45 minute flight home. We will never fly into JFK again as we heard this happens all the time and we actually got lucky with the only 2 hour wait. It all ended well even the snafu with missing the connection etc. I was worried that AA was going to tell us too bad that we'd miss our connection since it was a Delta connection. They were great and helped us without any grief :)

The evening "rush hour" at JFK is pretty normal, with every airline wanting to send out its transatlantic flights at seemingly the same time. Seems as though your rescheduled flight was in that time frame.

Yep! We were supposed to leave at 5:21 but that kept getting pushed back and then the wait once on the plane. I was just happy that the flight attendant was so pleasant. We didn't hear one complaint and I truly think it had alot to do with how well he handled it. He was honest in explaining this happens and then went from there to handing out drinks folowed by snacks. He was so pleasant and kept us all occupied the time seemed to fly by. I now have my husband interested in flying into various airports so that we can compare and experience new ones. He's grown to love flying and I can see how so many people love flying. Ahh I do have a question for you. When we flew on American Airlines it was an airbus and the largest of the planes we have flown on as a couple. Normally my ears are fine on flights but on that one it was constant pressure and popping. Is that more common on the bigger planes or just a fluke experience?

Archived