Under 18 in nightclubs

swanny727

How is this enforced? Are their cabin cards marked in some way? Bouncers at the door? Check IDs after a certain time? We sailed this summer, on HAL, and there was no "carding" at the doors. For the first few nights, several young girls made spectacles of themselves. Then were asked not to return. And they were over 18. Wondering how Carnival handles it? We have a 17 year old girl that loves to dance - doesn't need a drink to have fun. But, she would sure be disappointed if she could not join the rest of the family, and friends, for nighttime dancing. There was no problem with her in the clubs on Holland America.

The disco allows anyone before 11:00 pm. After that only 18 and older may enter. ID's are checked at the door by an employee. Other venues typically will allow under 18's with parents.

My understanding is that HAL uses the mirror test to determine who may enter the disco. :D

Thanks, that is what I was afraid of. I guess we will think of a different type of vacation this time. The timing will be 6 weeks before her 18th birthday and she certainly doesn't want to hang out with her parents in the evening.

BTW What is the mirror test?

My understanding is that HAL uses the mirror test to determine who may enter the disco. :D

BTW What is the mirror test?

LOL, if you are breathing, you are in ;)

the mirror test - hold mirror by mouth/nose. If it fogs you are alive.

The disco allows anyone before 11:00 pm. After that only 18 and older may enter. ID's are checked at the door by an employee. Other venues typically will allow under 18's with parents.

Unless it's changed we had the same problem a couple years back. As long as you were in there with them it was fine. It didn't matter if you sat way in the back in the corner. What we would do once we had enough of the music, we would just go to the disco with the girls for about an hour and then leave sometimes sitting outside the disco of going to the lido deck. It seemed once they are in they didn't check Id's anymore. The only problem is if they leave for any reason they could be ID to get back in.

Unless it's changed we had the same problem a couple years back. As long as you were in there with them it was fine. It didn't matter if you sat way in the back in the corner. What we would do once we had enough of the music, we would just go to the disco with the girls for about an hour and then leave sometimes sitting outside the disco of going to the lido deck. It seemed once they are in they didn't check Id's anymore. The only problem is if they leave for any reason they could be ID to get back in.

Not on our cruise, at 11pm security would walk thru the disco checking ID's.

I sailed on the Pride in April of this year. Outside of the disco, there were always a large group of kids and I swear they were just about 18. They seemed to be coming in and out of the bar. I don't know if they were drunk or just childish, but they seemed to act about 12-15. They were probably lin there late teens but acted quite younger. this was later in the evening, usually after midnight...I would be real surprised if that bar was checking ID...

We recently came back from the Liberty. We were with a 19 yo,18yo. They were carded every night. The would not let my other daughter who was 10 days shy of her 18th birthday in the club. They even said no to letting her in to dance if a parent went in also. She was really disappointed. They told us they were afraid of lawsuits. If you have a choice, cruise just after ( not just before) 18 birthday.

We recently came back from the Liberty. We were with a 19 yo,18yo. They were carded every night. The would not let my other daughter who was 10 days shy of her 18th birthday in the club. They even said no to letting her in to dance if a parent went in also. She was really disappointed. They told us they were afraid of lawsuits. If you have a choice, cruise just after ( not just before) 18 birthday.

I thought security was extra tight on the Liberty.

But i think thats a good thing.

I also noticed crew members asking kids where their parents were, when they were wondering the ship late at night, they would tell them to go to their cabins.

Security was very strict on the Miracle. My son was not quite 18. He could go to the disco before 11:00 but most of the teens in there were in the 13-14 y/o bracket so he didn't like that but he couldn't get into the disco after 11:00. He was pretty bummed. He kept trying to sneak in but was unsuccessful.

How is this enforced? Are their cabin cards marked in some way? Bouncers at the door? Check IDs after a certain time? We sailed this summer, on HAL, and there was no "carding" at the doors. For the first few nights, several young girls made spectacles of themselves. Then were asked not to return. And they were over 18. Wondering how Carnival handles it? We have a 17 year old girl that loves to dance - doesn't need a drink to have fun. But, she would sure be disappointed if she could not join the rest of the family, and friends, for nighttime dancing. There was no problem with her in the clubs on Holland America.

We too have a dd who loves to dance and we waited till after her 18th (this Wed) bday to cruise so she could dance with her 20 yo sister. We hate for them to take off of school but they / we have made sure that they will be fine taking the time off of school.

We had the opposite experience. Come 11:00 P.M., Security checked and asked my then almost 18 year old DD to leave and it did not matter that we were there, with her. I understood and accepted that they want it to be an adult enviornment, as the evening progresses.

She fits the H2O club age and I remember they had their own club....

Yes, she has participated in the teen clubs, when she was younger. However, it seems they usually attract the kids at the younger end of the age range. She will be looking forward to attending college and wouldn't have much in common with kids that are just starting to drive etc.......

Archived