booked with Hi Time

ElaineB2

Passion Fruit - when are you cruising in June and what ship? We're on the Infinity and will be in Juneau on 6/25. We talked to Toni (the capt.) of Hi-Time charters and felt very comfortable with her, so 3 of us booked a halibut charter with her. We decided to do halibut from Juneau since we will be in port from 8A - 10P. We'll get more fishing time in since the charter is 8 hours total and it only takes 1/2 hour to get to fishing grounds (each way). Originally we were going to do halibut out of Sitka, the price was listed at $257 and it states that it takes 1 hour (each way) to get to the fishing grounds each way which only leaves 4 hours of fishing. When I went to book it, the price was coming up at $334 so we decided to look at other options. This works out good for us because I really wanted to tour Sitka. I'll let others know how our experience with Capt. Toni & Hi-Time Charters is when we return. Hopefully I can tell about all the huge halibut we caught (some good fish stories!)

Good luck w/the halibut. Great eating and some real barn doors have come out of the water near Juneau. And remember, anyone who says the halibut over 100 lbs aren't as good to eat, have never caught a halibut over 100 lbs.

-Monte

some of my cruising photos:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m1bisson

A bad day cruising is better than a good day at work.

The worst cruise I ever took was pretty damned good.

Platinum with RCI, a couple cruises with NCL and 1 with CCL

Clock remove but cruise in Dec

Thanks for the update. We've narrowed our list to 3. Dh only wants to do 4 hours of fishing since we are also doing a whale watching tour. We sale on HAL Statendam on 6/20 and will be in Juneau 6/23. I'll try and remember to post some 'fish stories' also when we get back!

June '04 - Statendam Alaska

May '98 - Statendam Alaska

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ship me some of your catch!!! I ate Halibut 6 times my last trip. icon_smile.gif Even with it frozen it was just delicious!!! Just can't get enough, never get it at home- just substandard compared to Alaska. Enjoy!!!!

Budget Queen - glad you responded! I need your opinion or others also. I really wanted to do the helicopter glacier landing but the only way I'll really be able to do that is to see if when we return from fishing there will be space available with Coastal by just calling them directly. Fishing is all day (approx. 8:30 - 5:30) We are in port until 10:00 p.m. I need to call to see how late the flights go through the evening. But what I'm getting at is if I can't do the helicopter glacier landing should I at least try for the Misty Fjords floatplane in Ketchikan?

With Coastal you need to book ahead- you will not likely be able to get walk up space. Inquire direct what their flying schedule is that day and verify with the fishing charter the return time- You will have to arrange a transfer- you won't want to waste time going back and forth to downtown. As for Misty Fjords floatplanes- totally different flying experience and certainly recommended.

Thanks for the advice, BQ. Spoke to Coastal, the last flight they do is "around 6:00 p.m." That would be cutting it too close. I don't want to ruin the fishing experience by constantly worrying that I won't make it back on time. Plus, by time we make arrangements to have our catch shipped home (hopefully, we will have some to ship), I think it will be too late. Will have to save for next time, but I'll definitely make arrangements for the Misty Fjords flight in Ketchikan while my husband is salmon fishing.

Archived