QE2 queries

Piltonian

With the QE2 coming out of service, I decided finally to dive in and experience at least a brief trip.... and give my mother the few days away with her children that she's been going on about.

So, I've booked, as a Christmas present for my mother and sister, the short three night cruise on 17th July next year - Q4 cabin 1027 for them and QS 2094 for me. The latter looks smaller than other cabins from Cunard's website plans, but was one of only two of its type left, so I imagine that is predictable.

Two questions: does anyone have any information or pictures of either of these cabins, by any chance? If so that would be a great help to understanding what to expect. Secondly, my mother is somewhat infirm - not wheelchair bound, but not able to walk long distances in one go or stand around for too long. I've seen some comments about long queues to check-in at Southampton and wondered if that might prove a problem.

Sorry, no photos, but a few information.

2094 is not a QS but a QG cabin. Indeed it is one of the smaller single Queens Grill cabins and it also has no walk-in closet like the QGs on one deck have. Nevertheless it is Queens Grill with all the amenities, thus enjoy.

As Queens Grill guest you will have priority embarkation in Southampton anyway and usually the lines at these counters are much shorter if at all. But the staff is also quite friendly to handicapped people and will advance you directly to a counter if necessary.

I would recommend either to come very early to guarantee a seat in the waiting lounge or later, after boarding has started, when you will be allowed to board immediately without waiting due to your status.

We checked in around 2:15. Line for the grill passengers ironically was longer/moved slower than the regular line. Go figure! Still, we only waited about 15 mins. I would think that if you arrived around 3, lines would be very short.

In any event, they were very accommodating to mobility-impaired passengers both at check-in and on board. And, there were MANY people with canes, in wheelchairs, moving slowly, etc.

One suggestion -- if you're planning on taking any shore excursions talk to the tour desk first. We took 3, all of which were described as "extensive" walking. The first would have been easy for someone with some mobility impairment as there was minimal "mandatory" walking -- as in needing to go from point A to point B on foot.

The second tour had a fair amount of walking. The final tour (in Rome) involved very extensive walking. We probably covered 2-3 miles, at a moderate pace. There were a number of mobility impaired folks on the tour and they had a tough time keeping up. (The tour was of the Vatican and the guides there are required by the guards to keep the tour moving; she wasn't making life difficult on purpose).

What I'm saying is don't base your decisions solely on the description of "moderate" or "extensive" as they can be somewhat misleading. Talk to the reps, who should have a pretty good idea of how much walking you really have to do. And if they say you're going to have to do a lot of walking, believe them!

Archived